ok, i'm ready... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-14-2003, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
to start an elimination diet, beginning with dairy (gasp! oh god, my COFFEE!)

my ds's excema... it is bothering him so bad. expensive creams, non-stop eucerin, borage oil... nothing helps, except a little, sometimes, and for a short time. he is itching himself raw!

he is 28 months and still nursing like a trooper, so i guess that means me, too, huh? is this really, really NECESSARY- i mean, is it possible just eliminating it from his diet could be enough? are the allergens in such quantities?

because altho' i really feel bad for the cows (i was at least lacto-ovo for awhile, so i am not w/out feeling, and try to get as humanely raised/killed meat as possible), this is going to be more than difficult for me- i really, really thrive on milk products. i love lebni, cheeses, good cultured organic butter, heavy cream; not so much an actual milk drinker per se. so this is purely an excema-related issue at this point for me. so if say, one of y'all has info that say, butter has very few allergens, for example, please tell me, because it will save more cows misery in the long run than if i give up in despair and wean my lil' guy!

i am of northern european ancestry and could live on shellfish and cheese, lol, but the eastern european/mediterranean side from my dh seems to be showing up in my sammy and he does like his olive oil (dipping his bread in it- whoa, if we have to give up wheat too, is he gonna be bummed!) and is just not thriving on cow's milk. so, is goat still full of these allergens, too? sheep? (if, of course, this eliminating dairy turns out to help.) i'm not looking for whether or not someone thinks goat milk is an improper food for adult humans, just how it affects a kid allergy-wise, kwim?

i have loaded up with almond milk cheese (i already love that stuff!), soy yogurt, milk-free bread, almond milk, tofutti ice cream sandwiches, etc, hoping to make the change easy on him (and me!)

but my coffee... for those of you who love coffee, do i have hope beyond cremora?:Puke 'cause frankly, i like soymilk, i've done soymilk, but in coffee, i think it tastes like shit. (no offense, if you can stomach the stuff!) i didn't get ricemilk, but would that or the almond milk, or that with a bit of cremora (yes, i know, bad stuff!) be the most likely to let me get used to it quicker? i need ideas!

and i feel guilty as heck already, but i am not going to keep him from his chocolate bunny this year... we'll get anal about it *after* easter. if this works, i'll be straight to godiva next year for a dark chocolate one (i wish free trade chocolate wasn't so pricey-i saw 70 bucks for 3 big bars... argh! i don't have a $70 chocolate budget! whoops, different subject! back to topic!)

anyway, thanks in advance for any advice, i'm a little freaked! but if it helps sammy's skin, i'll do it.

suse

ps max has the skin of a blush rose; just poor ol' sam is the rashy one.
#2 of 12 Old 04-14-2003, 02:21 AM

I haven't done the elmination diet, but having suffered from eczema myself for many years, I just wanted to say that I found eucerin to be very irritating. I know it is always what everyone recommends, so it must be helpful to many, but it never helped me.

Acupuncture did wonders for my eczema. Here is what he had to tell me about diet changes: No spicy foods, no deep fried foods, no raw vegetables (hard on your digestion - this was temporary until the worst flare ups went down), no cold drinks (shocks your lungs - your lungs affect your skin).

Oh, and I actually like that fake nasty creamer stuff in my coffee. I don't know why. Although I don't drink coffee on a regular basis. I'm a tea addict myself.
#3 of 12 Old 04-14-2003, 03:14 AM
Banned

Yes, goat is more digestible so may agree with you guys. Sheep even better if your kid is lactose intolerant. But if the ezcema just happened and you've been on dairy all along it's probably something else, or? Then of course, raw milk is much better on you than pasteurized, does not cause as much allergies.
Soy milk is not a good idea if trying to eliminate allergens. Soymilk is extremly hard on digestion and is the one (actually not the only one, tofutti as well)soy food to avoid. Soy should always undergo a long period of soaking and fermenting, which was traditionally done with soy milk, but no more. If you want fake milks, better with nut milks (soak the nuts first though to avoid developing allergies), or your own rice milk (1 part rice to 10 parts water cooked for 70 min and strained).

Back to dairy, butter is usually tolerated by allergic indviduals, as are any cultured dairy products (and raw). Culturing breaks down casein and lactose.
People of eastern european and mediterranean descent should be able to tolerate dairy as long as it is cultured, since these people consume alot of cheese and yogurt. From what I can remember, goat is much more common there though than big animals like cows. You should be able to get raw goat's milk from a farmer, or if that's not an option pasteurized goat's milk may be tolerated by your little one.

I ended up on one of those diets, and soon I was not eating very much at all. It may just be your overall diet rather than specifc foods, like too much junk.
Anyhow, I recommend acupuncture and chinese herbalism too.

Good luck,
Josefina.
#4 of 12 Old 04-14-2003, 03:14 AM

Silk soymilk makes a really good coffee creamer that is available at most grocery stores. I love it and I got a lot of my relatives using it even though they aren't into the non dairy life. It even comes in Vanilla and Hazlenut as well as plain. Check it out. Good luck. You may find you feel a lot better once you eliminate dairy.
Lauren
#5 of 12 Old 04-14-2003, 11:54 AM

Also, in the future, if you're looking for non-dairy treats for your little ones, believe me when I tell you the news is ALL good! So many companies now make delicious vegan chocolates... it's the reason I'm gaining so much weight (besides being pregnant, that is)

Go to: http://www.veganstore.com and http://www.veganessentials.com and http://www.chocolatedecadence.com and http://www.differentdaisy.com to find luscious vegan chocolates and other treats.
#6 of 12 Old 04-14-2003, 02:55 PM

Don't forget Chocolate Chip No Cookie Cookies. Yum. Their peanut butter is good too.
#7 of 12 Old 04-15-2003, 02:23 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for all the info- and josefina, he's always had it. his uncle that he got his 'special' toe from also has had excema all his life really bad, too (at least he didn't get his asthma! gotta be the milk- mom's, that is!)

i am a constant label reader, and even i am surprised by the amount of dairy they sneak into stuff, that normally flies below my radar. i think i will see if sticking to cultured and goat/sheep will make a difference, first, before completely eliminating them. (good, 'cause i am a lebni addict! come to think of it, there were fresh green almonds in the arabic market saturday why didn't i get some?)

oh yeah: josefina, are there ANY soymilks, that are made from fermented soy? 'cause he does really like it- altho' he liked the almond milk he had today, too (i'd better start making it- pricey!)

and thanks veganmamma; i'll look (hope i can find plain; i loathe those nasty fake-tasting flavored coffees and their additives, yuck! my dd loves that stuff! ptooey! but then she eats cremora with a spoon, sigh. ps she is 16, so she does have a bit more leeway on her own diet than the boys )

thanks! suse
#8 of 12 Old 04-15-2003, 04:24 AM

Yes, watch out for soy as an allergin as well. I am so sorry about your DS. I am struggling with this as well- DS scratchs his ankles until they bleed and has trouble sleeping from the itch. Goat cheese was not a help for us, but can be for some.

My Naturopath rcommends fish oil. I am vegetarian but have given that up to try the fish oil and help DS.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#9 of 12 Old 04-16-2003, 01:43 AM
Banned

So sorry to hear your ds has had eczema for so long. I sriously recommend seeing a chinese doctor, they have so much experience (like some thousand years). Things like eczema can be a tough one to handle, especially if itseems to run in the family.

I don't think there are any traditionally made soy milks out there, although you could always try and call companies and ask how they make it. You could also make it yourself!! But...probably not since it is a loooong process.
I cut out dairy completely for a few years, and itmight be tough to begin with, but getting used to not having milk happens and you may not feel like you're being deprived. I guess for me it was pretty easy since the milk here in the States tasted so much "different" than the milk in Sweden where I'm from. Most importantly you want to make sure you're getting your calcium elsewhere, like canned salmon (eaten with the bones which are easily mashed) or better yet, bone broths used in pretty much anything. There is also calcium in dark green vegies but are not as available. And almonds of course, so almond milk would make a good substitute as long as they're soaked.

Josefina.
#10 of 12 Old 04-17-2003, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

bah! i can't believe it! almond cheese has *casein*! so it's apparently for people who just want 'low fat', not people who are either concerned about consuming dairy products, or cruelty to cows! (and since i am wholly of the 'lose weight by low carb, not low fat' persuasion, that's patently ridiculous for me to buy on all counts. why does it have to taste so good!)

suse
#11 of 12 Old 04-18-2003, 03:45 AM

We don't really like soy-milk, so we switched to Rice Dream original for cooking and enriched for drinking and in cereal. It is SOOOOOO much better. Just an idea.
Yeah...I hate that you can't find cheeses without milk protein in them...what about the vegans?!
I do have a recipe for homemade Almond Cheese. I haven't tried it yet though. If you want it PM me.
Tina
#12 of 12 Old 04-18-2003, 03:47 AM

Tofutti and Vegan singles. They're hard to find but worth it!
L

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page