Red lentil recipes?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-14-2003, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
+

All rightie!

We were at the store today to pick up snack fixings, ect., and I decided to buy some red lentils too. Now, I've cooked other kinds of lentils before, but never the little red kind. They're so cool-looking, I thought it would be fun to try them.

Sooo...do you ladies have any yummy red lentil recipes to share? Any preparation tips?

Thank you in advance!

God bless you,
icxcnika
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2003, 03:30 AM

here's a fav website of mine:
http://www.ziyad.com/

i tried to get a page with just the red lentil recipes, but no luck
just look under 'recipe finder', and there are two soups... one with mint and bulghar that sounds very tasty! i'm gonna try it, now that my mint is up! (of course i have red lentils here i need to use, too! thanks for reminding me!)

suse
Old 04-15-2003, 05:16 AM

Red lentils go great in a crock pot stew with italian herbs, potatoes, bay leaf, celery and carrots- add whatever else you like at the end- ei- spinach, peas, green beans, broccoli...

edited to add- garlic and onions go in too at the beginning

Lentils need about 6 hours in the crock.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
Old 04-15-2003, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
It takes about 1/2 hour to cook red lentils on the top of the stove. They turn mushy and yellow and are delicious. You can use them in any green lentil recipe or any split pea recipe.

My favorite way to make them is red lentil dal.

1 cup red lentils, picked over
3 cups water
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon lemon juice, or to taste (I like MORE!)
1/2 teaspoon garam masala (optional)

1 tablespoon oil or ghee
1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
1 dried hot red chili pepper (optional or to taste)

Simmer the lentils in the water with turmeric for about 1/2 hour or until mushy. Add the salt, lemon juice and optional garam masala. The lemon and turmeric will color the dish so that it's very pretty and light yellow.

Heat the oil or ghee (clarified butter) until hot, then put in the cumin seeds and pepper. When the seeds have toasted, dump the oil and spices onto the dal and enjoy the sizzling!

Serve it with rice and a curry dish. Since you don't have to do a lot to make dal or rice, it's pretty easy to have them going alongside a curry.

Another thing I like is red lentils with noodles. This is my version of a recipe by Claudia Roden, from memory. Cook 1 cup of lentils in 3 cups water. In the meantime, saute a chopped onion in olive oil with a teaspoon of ground coriander on very low heat so that the onion gets brown and carmelized. At the same time also start a pot of water for noodles. then when the lentils are done, mix them with the onion and salt and pepper to taste. When the noodles are done, put a small amount of butter or margarine on them, and then mix the lentils with them.

Divorced mom of one awesome boy born 2-3-2003.
Old 04-15-2003, 03:07 PM

Hearty Harvest Soup/Stew

(great fall colours but super yummy anytime of the year!)

roasted red, yellow and orange peppers
(I do one of each, toss in the oven at about 250 F for about 45 minutes until the outsides are a bit blackened. Take them out, let them cool a little but not completely and peel skins off.)

roasted sweet potatoes, peeled and quartered
(these can bake while you're doing the peppers)

5 - 7 cups veggie broth or make some
(saute onions, celery, garlic, pepper and after onions and garlic are soft, add water)

-- I usually start with 5 cups and add more if needed

add lentils (1/2 bag or about 1.5 cups) and let liquid come to a boil

turn down heat and simmer until lentils are soft

when lentils are soft, scoop them out into a bowl with a strainer type spoon, scoop out as many as possible

add sweet potatoes and peppers to liquid, use hand-held blender to puree (this is the easiest way, although, you can leave it totally chunky or do some liquid with the some veggies in the blender), I don't puree until smooth, I like some chunks

re-add lentils and let simmer for about 20 minutes to allow the flavours to mingle

this is so good that I think I might have to make it for dinner now that I've been thinking about it lol

also, I don't know the measurements off the top of my head, but I have a recipe for parsley/cheese/green onion (cheese optional) dumplings that tastes fabulous on this stew especially if you leave it a little chunky

Peace.
Old 04-15-2003, 03:35 PM

Mmmm... I love daal.

Here is a recipe we love:

Lentil Sambar

1 cup lentils (red is best)
3 cups water
1 onion, chopped
1 small cauliflower, in florets
2 sweet potatoes, chopped in ½ inch pieces
1 red pepper, chopped in ½ inch pieces
2 tsp canola oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
½ tsp fenugreek
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp cayenne
1 chile minced
1 Tbl tamarind concentrate dissolved in 1 cup hot water (you can find this at an asian market, it is great to have a jar on hand for Indian dishes)
1 tsp salt
3 Tbl minced cilantro

Rinse lentils, place in saucepan with 3 cups water, bring to boil. Simmer for 45 minutes until tender, stirring occassionally.

Warm the oil, saute the mustard, fenugreek, and cumin seeds, shaking pot to prevent burning. When they start to pop, stir in the rest of the spices and the chile, and saute for 2 more minutes. Stir in the tamarind liquid and add the onions, cauliflower and sweet potatoes and salt. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add the peppers and cook until veggies are tender. Add the lentils to the mixture. Reheat and stir in the cilantro. Ladle over rice or serve with naan.
Old 04-15-2003, 03:40 PM

I am so glad i found this thread!

i have been looking around good eating for a recipe i saw with lentils, sweet potatoes, diced tomatoes and curry.

anyone have an easy recipe that sounds like that? i have jasmine rice and brown rice.

:binky
Old 04-15-2003, 03:45 PM

red lentil recipes
here is one of my faves Cincinnati Lentils
Old 04-15-2003, 03:53 PM

ICX...i am sorry if it seems like i "barged" in and asked a question.

princess buttercup....i liked the link you provided, there is a recipe there that is very similar to the one i am looking for. i will just add the sweet potatoes. we just had a a"world market" open, and it has a few curries/pastes/spices. its a popular brand (although i cant remember the name!)....recommeded by a few mwmbwers here at MDC.
Old 04-17-2003, 03:26 AM - Thread Starter

+

Thank you, ladies, for all the recipes!

(BTW, Sweetbaby3--that's fine, I don't mind you asking your question at all; it was lentil-recipe-related, after all, so it's cool! )

God bless,
icxcnika

User Tag List