Mailing food? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-14-2003, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Are there any special precautions to take when mailing food, or any foods that should not be mailed? (Like ice cream? )

Once I sent some molasses bread and apple butter cookie bars in only a tin but they were a little dried out when they got there.

I live in Oregon, and have relatives on the west and east coasts, as well as Alaska and Canada, if the distance matters.

Just wondering! Hope it could work out!
#2 of 3 Old 04-14-2003, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
some the military care package sites, plus dear abby/hints from heloise talk about mailing food -maybe check them? You can mail ice cream...you just need to do it with dry ice and a foam cooler - which you can buy locally, look under ice in the yellow pages. (and don't touch it with bare hands.) And use overnight or 2-day delivery depending on how much dry ice you use. Instructions I remember say to use a lot of packing peanuts or popcorn. Dense moist cakes like apple cake do well. Pies not so well. I' d wrap cookies in cellophane then place in a tin(or vice versa) if you'd like them to not dry out. If you pack it right, almost any food item can be mailed. I have seen people pack a piece of bread or slice of apple into a tupperware to keep cookies soft.
#3 of 3 Old 04-14-2003, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I sent dh a care package overseas... I did more his fave junk foods due to military mail took 2-6 weeks!!!!!

One thing I did for his chex mix was bought those Gladware plastic containers, it'll be more air tight than a tin would and then nothing could smoosh it. Plus they are cheap...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page