What are good foods to start baby out with? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-15-2003, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am just starting my almost 6 months old on food. We have given Reed bananas which he loves. Any other ideas that are good for first foods? Just the normal, carrots, sw. pots., applesauce, peaches, etc.??

Thanks for your help!
Chelsi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2003, 09:49 PM

With our daughter we just did fruits for the first 3-4 weeks she was on solids. Then we added veggies. Then at 9 months we added grains like rice cereal and oatmeal (thinned out considerably), and then tofu at 10 months and all other foods at one year. Of course breastmilk in there with all that too.
Old 04-15-2003, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My favorite first food for babies is avocado. Rice cereal and bananas are fine also but can cause constipation. Avocado on the other hand is easily digested and contains good fats that baby needs. It's also so simple to make. Just mash ripe avocado. Add breast milk or water to thin if you're just starting solids. Later on, just mash. As baby gets older, diced avocado makes a great finger food too.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
Old 04-16-2003, 02:26 AM
Banned

Babies under a year old don't produce enough amylase to digest grains, so it's better to wait until then. Fuits and veggies are good, as well as meat. From 4 mo old you can also give egg yolk, which is very nutritious, it is considered a brain food by many traditional cultures. The egg yolk should not be entirely cooked, since that would destroy the beneficial enzymes.
If you give starchy veggies make sure to mash with good organic cultured butter and a little unrefined sea salt. The fat is important so that the starches are more evenly burned. Salt is (in small amounts), although disputed, important for brain development.

Josefina.
Old 04-16-2003, 07:12 PM

I'm going to repeat avacado! That was/is a major fav. We also did mashed sweet potatoes, watermelon, bananas, and some things with a little texture since dd didn't care much for the mushy stuff.
Old 04-16-2003, 07:26 PM

Plain yoghurt, avocado and egg yolk (either runny or solid as long as there are NO whites). Egg yolk stimulates the connection of brain synapses

All 3 of these are still faves with my girls.

Peace.
Old 04-16-2003, 08:58 PM

I kind of wonder about starting out animal foods so early - my personal opinion is to wait until 9 months for either yogurt or egg yolks.

I am really curious about the egg yolk thing because I have never heard any recommendation to serve them as a first good - can anyone point me to an article or book that gives more information about it?

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
Old 04-16-2003, 09:05 PM

Alive magazine is an alternative health/healing magazine and it's where I read about the egg yolk. It said that egg yolks can be started in conjunction with breastmilk (or formula) as early as 4 months. We drink soy milk, but we eat a lot of yoghurt. I would enhance it's natural bacteria by adding acidopholus (sp?). Other than egg yolks and yoghurt though, neither of daughters had any meat products until after age 1. I will try to see if that article is available online and if not, maybe I can post the date of the magazine and your local library might carry them.

Peace.
Old 04-17-2003, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Food for Baby
A wise supplement for all babies--whether breast fed or bottle fed--is an egg yolk per day, beginning at four months. Egg yolk supplies cholesterol needed for mental development as well as important sulphur-containing amino acids. Egg yolks from pasture-fed hens or hens raised on flax meal, fish meal or insects are also rich in the omega-3 long-chain fatty acids found in mother’s milk but which may be lacking in cow’s milk. These are essential for the development of the brain. Parents who institute the practice of feeding egg yolk to baby will be rewarded with children who speak and take directions at an early age. The white, which contains difficult-to-digest proteins, should not be given before the age of one year.

Grains are Indigestable
An unfortunate practice in industrial societies is the feeding of cereal grains to infants. Babies produce only small amounts of amylase, needed for the digestion of grains, and are not fully equipped to handle cereals, especially wheat, before the age of one year. (Some experts prohibit all grains before the age of two.) Baby’s small intestine mostly produces one enzyme for carbohydrates: lactase, for the digestion of lactose. (Raw milk also contains lactase.) Many doctors have warned that feeding cereal grains too early can lead to grain allergies later on.

Carbohydrate in the form of fresh, mashed banana can be added after the age of six months as bananas are rich in amylase enzymes and, thus, are easily digested by most infants. Some preindustrial societies give a gruel of cereal grains, soaked 24 hours, to babies one year or older. Soaking in an acidic medium neutralizes phytates and begins the breakdown of carbohydrates, thus allowing children to obtain optimum nourishment from grains. It also provides lactic acid to the intestinal tract to facilitate mineral uptake.

At the age of about 10 months, fruits and vegetables may be introduced, one at a time so that any adverse reactions may be observed. Carbohydrate foods, such as potatoes, carrots or turnips, should be mashed with butter. (Don’t overdo the orange vegetables as baby’s immature liver may have difficulty converting carotenoids to vitamin A. If your baby’s skin develops a yellowish color, a sign that he is not making the conversion, discontinue orange vegetables for a time.)

Lacto-fermented taro or other roots make an excellent carbohydrate food for babies. It is wise to feed babies a little buttermilk or yogurt from time to time to familiarize them with the sour taste. Above all, do not deprive your baby of animal fats--he needs them for optimum physical growth and mental development. Mother’s milk contains over 50 per cent of its calories as fat, much of it saturated fat; children need these kinds of fats throughout their growing years.
Here is the link for Alive magazine, I'm not sure but it may be Canadian. Great source of natural healing/health information.
Alive Magazine

(I know my quote is kind of long, but I did email the company for permission to reprint part of the article and the magazine is free at health food stores.)

Peace.
Old 04-17-2003, 03:16 PM

Thanks for the information. This different view is very interesting to me. Morsan also told me about the website www.westonaprice.org which I am starting to explore.

My initial question from what you wrote is why would we need to feed our baby egg yolks when breastmilk is already high in cholestorol and supplies that need . . . I would think that would be beneficial for formula babies - especially soy, since it contains no cholestorol.

I will try to find that article. Thanks for the link.

Old 04-18-2003, 04:47 AM
Banned

Oncewerewise- interesting, your is exactly how it appears in my cookbook Nourshing Traditions.

Cathe- that is a good question, why would bf'd babies need more cholesterol? I wonder if the egg yolk idea is based on traditional practices.

Josefina.

User Tag List