Delicious, healthy peanut butter?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-16-2003, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been using organic peanut butter mostly for baking, and dh hated it!! He said they taste AWFUL!!! He told me to get him some regular stuff, he doesn;t care abt being organic or healthy, he wants tasty!!!
So, I went to buy a jar of JIF peanut butter.... dh is happy, BUT
DD likes it too!!! And she eats it straight from the jar!!!!! :
Do you know what's in it?? Other than peanuts & salt, partially hydrogenated AND fully hydrogenated oils!!! ARGH!!!!!!!!!

So, what can I do?? What's a good, delicious peanut butter, do you know???? HELP, please!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2003, 09:15 PM

I had been eating organic, just peanuts peanut butter made for A&P (Master's Choice, I think is their brand) for a couple of years and thought it was great.

Then, at Christmas, I was on a baking frenzy of old, not-so-healthy desserts and needed regular peanut butter for one of them (didn't want to figure out the fructose to my peanut butter ratio) and sadly realized how much TASTIER the crap is.

Having said that, we don't do very much junk at all and we don't eat much peanut butter anyway. (A large jar from January is still over half full.) So, I've decided to live with the icky stuff they put in it.

However, if you're dd is eating a lot of it, maybe you could try other nut butters. Cashew and almond are so yummy and a little creamier and sweeter than peanut, I find.

Nuts To You makes good ones, they're organic, too.

Peace!
Old 04-16-2003, 09:20 PM

You could try to figure out what it is about the natural peanut butter she doesn't like. If it's the lack of sweetener, you could try mixing it with mashed bananas before serving; my son will eat it that way. If it's the texture, you could try out different natural brands to find one that's smoother, or mix more oil into it.

[My son loves "bad" peanut butter too, but it's considered a "special treat" he only gets at Nana's house or on special occasions.]
Old 04-16-2003, 09:30 PM

My dh makes our peanut butter in the food processor with organic peanuts, enough organic peanut oil to get the right texture and salt to taste. It's a special prject he and dd do together so she loves it. But, if it's JIF they want, I would recommend blending in some cashews, organic chocolate, etc anything to make it more of a treat but not be too unhealthy. I think some of the brand names have msg in them (not that I would add that!!!!)
Old 04-16-2003, 10:26 PM

We like the Smuckers Natural peanutbutter. It doesn't taste like Jiff, but it is good and the ingredients are acceptable. Our health food store also has a bulk peanutbutter that you grind right there in the store. You can't get much fresher than that and your dd may enjoy getting to "make" her own if you have that available in your area. I like to make my own almond and other nut butters in the food processor. It's much cheaper that way.
Old 04-16-2003, 11:32 PM

Arrowhead Mills makes a honey sweetened one that is really yummy. Its worth a shot.

-jeanie
Old 04-16-2003, 11:45 PM

Adams peanut butter its 100% natural, contains peanuts and 1% or less of salt. It comes in creamy and crunchy. We think it very yummy and it can be found in most grocery stores.
Old 04-16-2003, 11:59 PM

Trader Joe's sells a really yummy peanut butter - and it's organic. It has a deep peanutty flavor. Maybe what your dh and dd like about Jif is that it is really smooth.

Trader Joe's sells a really yummy peanut butter - and it's organic. It has a deep peanutty flavor. Maybe what your dh and dd like about Jif is that it is really smooth.

Old 04-17-2003, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Chicklet, Trader Joe's is the brand dh found absolutely awful!!!
Still, thanks for all the replies! I have not heard of Adams, or seen it, but I'm going to jot down all your recommendations n check them out. I don't believe I saw the Arrowhead Mills at Whle Foods though, where can you buy that??
Old 04-17-2003, 06:56 PM

If they're used to the sugary grossness now, chances are they won't adapt to the natural ones. You can try adding organic powdered sugar or honey or maple syrup to the organic peanut butter.

I have to admit I'm a hardnose, though. If they didn't like it I'd just say, "Well, I refuse to feed my family crap, so I guess we'll live without peanut butter."

I can recommend trying other nut butters, though. We made an organic macadamia nut butter that was out of this world.

User Tag List