First attempt at no-sugar oatmeal cookies: SO Yummy! - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 98 Old 10-12-2008, 02:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATD_Mom View Post
Hey, thanks for bumping my concoctions!

The chocolate-chocolate-chip-peanut-butter-oatmeal cookies are still our favourite around here.

We are dairy-free now, so I have substituted coconut oil for the butter. It isn't the same, but they're still pretty good.

I've also tried almond butter in place of peanut butter. It really changes the recipe a lot, in a funny way. I wouldn't recommend it.

There's currently a batch of these (with butter) in the freezer, uncooked and rolled into little balls. My husband reaches in and pops one in his mouth a couple times each day ... And then complains about being fat ...
we just became dairy free about a week ago----can't you not have butter?

I was wondering---if i put oil instead of the butter---will it ruin it? and do I do the EXACT same amount?

also---don't chocolate chips and chocolate grated have SUGAR in it?!!!

I can't wait to try these if I can figure out without the butter- (like canola oil probably)
#92 of 98 Old 10-12-2008, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

We use flaxseed meal from Bob's Redmill, but brown or golden flaxseed meal from anywhere would do the trick, I assume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBMarie9 View Post
we just became dairy free about a week ago----can't you not have butter?

I was wondering---if i put oil instead of the butter---will it ruin it? and do I do the EXACT same amount?

also---don't chocolate chips and chocolate grated have SUGAR in it?!!!

I can't wait to try these if I can figure out without the butter- (like canola oil probably)
Right, I'm avoiding butter. I'm currently using Earth Balance shortening in place of butter in all my recipes. I tried coconut oil first, but I simply eat too many cookies when I make them. Too much coconut oil is rough on the ol' belly! I've never substituted with canola oil, so know nothing about that, but here is one page that has a bit of info, including this:
"There is no standard procedure to substitute liquid oil for solid shortening in cooking. Oil is 100 percent fat, while butter, margarine and other solid shortenings are lower in fat on a volume-for-volume basis.

Also, for some recipes, solid shortening helps incorporate air into the batter when it is whipped with other ingredients such as sugar and eggs. If you try to whip these ingredients with oil, your baked product is likely to be more compact and oily in texture. Your most successful substitution occurs if your recipe calls for MELTED butter, in which case you can usually substitute an equal amount of oil. "

I think I made the caveat about chocolate chips containing sugar when I first posted the recipes... But I currently use these huge organic dark chocolate chips that don't have all that much sugar in them, so I feel better about it now in a silly way.
#93 of 98 Old 10-12-2008, 05:55 PM

I didn't realize you were the first poster!!1

are there chocoalte chips that are diary free?

Also where do you get that shortening..? it's hard because I don't want to do hydrogentated oils but I'm stuck--and on the other hand don't want too much oil (I'll get sick if I eat too much of it!) --

I'm new at the dairy free thing so sorry if that's a dumb question---I just thought chocolate had milk in it! I want to try these cookies tonight without the chocolate (don't have any)

i don't have any shortening at my house---has ANYONE tried these with oil?
#94 of 98 Old 10-12-2008, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBMarie9 View Post
I didn't realize you were the first poster!!1

are there chocoalte chips that are diary free?

Also where do you get that shortening..? it's hard because I don't want to do hydrogentated oils but I'm stuck--and on the other hand don't want too much oil (I'll get sick if I eat too much of it!) --

I'm new at the dairy free thing so sorry if that's a dumb question---I just thought chocolate had milk in it! I want to try these cookies tonight without the chocolate (don't have any)

i don't have any shortening at my house---has ANYONE tried these with oil?
In Canada the President's Choice brand semi-sweet chocolate chips "The Decadent" are dairy-free. Also, most dark chocolate chips are dairy-free. You could always use a dark-chocolate candy bar, chopped up, in a pinch.

Are you thinking of making Jose's cookies without any chocolate? I'd be interested to hear how those are. The basic oatmeal ones are good without chocolate - it's easy to just throw in raisins or dried cherries, etc.

Earth Balance products (they make lots of different kinds of margarines and shortening) are all non-hydrogenated, and most are also non-GMO. They can be found at health food stores, and at some health-food aisles of larger grocers. Same with coconut oil!

I'm sure you can make the cookies with oil. They will still taste good, just have a different consistency.
#95 of 98 Old 10-13-2008, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Time for another recipe.

Chocolate Chip Almond Butter Cookies

Mix together the following:
1/4 cup melted Earth Balance shortening, or canola oil
1 cup almond butter
1/4 cup maple syrup

Add:
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

In a separate bowl, mix the following dry stuff together:

7/8 cup spelt flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
Then add to the wet stuff.

Now add as many chocolate chips as you like.

Roll into balls, flatten a bit, bake at 350 for ... Well, this is the tough part with this recipe. I recommend putting one cookie on the pan, checking the clock, and taking it out when you think it's done. If that time works for you, great. If not, try again (yum!)! Because it takes me about 14 minutes, and another MDC mama I know had to bake hers for 20. I bake until they are completely set in the middle. Perfectly baked, and cooled for a few minutes, they will not be crumbly.
#96 of 98 Old 10-13-2008, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

LBMarie9, hope the above works for you. You can use oil! This recipe uses oil, too. Woot for you!

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies (adapted from one at allrecipes.com)

Mix together:
1 cup canned pumpkin
3/4 cup total honey/maple syrup combo
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Add:
1 egg

In a little bowl, dissolve:
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. milk
And add to the wet stuff.

In a separate bowl, mix together:
2 cups flour (I use a mixture of "whole white" and whole wheat)
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
Then add to the wet stuff.

Add:
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
2 cups semisweet choc chips
1/2 cup millet

Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes or so. These will puff up a fair amount, so I drop by rounded tablespoons onto the pan, then flatten out a bit.
#97 of 98 Old 10-13-2008, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Note: We are lucky enough to have a local organic mill, Speerville. They produce a product called "whole white" flour, which I use in place of all-purpose flour (only exception being when making a roux). I just realized it's exclusive to their mill, so I hope I don't send anyone on a wild goose chase looking for it!

This Whole White Flour is a little darker in colour than commercial unbleached flours because it is 85% of the original wheat kernel and still contains wheat germ so is also more nutritious, a good flour to use for any baking and cooking.
#98 of 98 Old 10-13-2008, 01:00 PM

I tried the first oatmeal recipe last night and though they weren't what I expected (they didn't look done, but they were) and were SOOO soft! WE LOVED them! even my DH who was very skeptical having looked at my recipe and it saying Flaxseed meal (he has it all the time but thinks I'm weird)

i just did raisins...it was such a wonderful texture--I've never made cookies with that texture--yumm! (and we ate almost all of them--oops) they are so light tasting that you eat a lot--I'll have to make sure and freeze more next time to keep me from doing this. it almost seemed like a breakfast cookie or something. THANKS!!

I'm gonna try all the other recipes- (and try and find you special shortening)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page