First attempt at no-sugar oatmeal cookies: SO Yummy! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-30-2006, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We make a lot of cookies and muffins around here, and I've been feeling increasingly guilty about the amount of refined sugar we eat. So I finally decided to take the plunge and try my first batch of cookies with no refined sugar today. (Well, sort of. I did use chocolate chips.) I used honey and maple syrup instead. The result is absolutely glorious!

I modified and used 1/2 of my regular recipe - it only made 15 or 20 cookies. A good start when you just want to try it out. Posting the recipe, in case someone else is sitting on the fence.

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Flaxseed Meal Cookies

Preheat oven to 325 F

Mix together in a small bowl:

1/2 cup All Purpose flour
1/4 cup + 3 T whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup flaxseed meal
1/4 tsp salt

Cream together in mixer:

3/4 stick butter, softened
1/2 C honey/maple syrup (I used about 75% honey and 25% maple syrup)

Add to creamed mixture, beating until well blended:

1 egg
3/4 t vanilla

Add dry stuff to wet stuff, mixing only until combined.

Then stir in:

1 1/2 c thick-cut oatmeal
1/2 c chocolate chips

Form into golf balls then flatten into desired shape (they won't rise or spread much at all) and place on buttered Airbake pan. Bake until done.

These are so good, I think I'll share some with our new neighbors. (She's been walking by our house with a dog on leash, one in stroller, and one in a mei tai! I think she needs a cookie.) That is, if I can keep myself from eating the entire batch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2006, 02:25 PM

Thanks! I'm always looking for healthy "junk food" for the kiddos!

Shannon
Old 12-13-2006, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

I'm offering a sincere apology to anyone who tried these cookies previously - and asking you to please try again, if you did!

I just received a PM from maxwill129, who made these as the recipe was written. It used to say "real oats." I am such an idjit sometimes. What I meant was "thick-cut oatmeal (as opposed to quick-cooking oats)".

I'm so sorry! Promise the recipe is right now... And they really are yummy. And moist.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:55 AM

Sounds yummy! I think Im gonna make these today
Old 12-19-2006, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

I'm back! With another super-duper yummmy no-refined-sugar recipe!

This one is based on a recipe at epicurious.com for "Jose's Oatmeal Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies." I've made a heckuva lot of modifications, though. We loved the original recipe, I can't believe this modified one is even better!

Jose and Kristin's Chocolate Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies

In a large bowl, mix together:

1 1/2 cups thick-cut oatmeal
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup flaxseed meal
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt

In a mixing bowl, cream together the following, until consistent texture:

1.5 sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup honey
1/4 cup maple syrup

Beat in:

1 Tablespoon vanilla
1 cup peanut butter (the real stuff, nothing but ground peanuts - I use crunchy)

Add one at a time:

2 large eggs

Then add the dry stuff.

Add just until well combined:

one 12-ounce bag semisweet chocolate chips
6 ounces semisweet chocolate, grated or finely chopped

Put the whole shootin' match in the fridge for a while, to let it set up a bit. Form cookies into balls and flatten the balls into cookie shapes.

Bake in a barely 325* oven until they're done (10-15 minutes). They'll brown a bit before they're actually cooked inside - a result of the honey/maple syrup and flaxseed meal.

Makes about 60 smallish cookies.

I usually double this recipe. Put it into the fridge after mixing, wait a few hours. Then I roll all the cookies into balls, and put them in a Tupperware in the freezer. When we want a few cookies, we just flatten the balls into cookie shapes and stick them in the toaster oven for 10 or 12 minutes at 300. Very easy, and loads better than having a whole batch of cookies sitting on the counter, where they'd be eaten in about a day!

p.s. Maxwill129: I forced myself to make a breakfast snack today, just so I could snap this photo of a cooked cookie!
Old 12-22-2006, 12:12 AM

Thank you! I can't wait to try this one!!!

Shannon
Old 12-22-2006, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATD_Mom View Post
I just received a PM from maxwill129, who made these as the recipe was written. It used to say "real oats." I am such an idjit sometimes. What I meant was "thick-cut oatmeal (as opposed to quick-cooking oats)".
Out of curiosity, what happens if you use quick-cooking oats? By quick-cooking, do you mean the kind that cook in 5-7 min. on the stove top (versus about 20 for thick cut)?
Old 12-26-2006, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm. I don't know. I've never used them! My guess is there wouldn't be too much of a difference.

I just always use thick-cut oats because my brain thinks they're better for you. Although the only difference is how thickly cut they are, isn't it? Hmmm.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Hmm. I don't know. I've never used them! My guess is there wouldn't be too much of a difference.

I just always use thick-cut oats because my brain thinks they're better for you. Although the only difference is how thickly cut they are, isn't it? Hmmm.
I agree that it would probably be a health difference. My MIL uses quick-cooking oats all the time in things and they always turn out just fine.

ATD_Mom, did you have that carrot cake recipe that you had pm'd me about?

Shannon

We've been gone for a while due to Christmas, but I'm off to the store today to get some more maple syrup and some chocolate chips and I'm making the chocolate chocolat chip peanut butter oatmeal cookies (and since there is no mention of "flax" in the title, DH may eat them!
Old 01-02-2007, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwill129 View Post
ATD_Mom, did you have that carrot cake recipe that you had pm'd me about?
I wish! I am visiting my family for a few weeks, and I completely forgot to bring my cookbook (which I always have with me!). I'll get the recipe up here once I finally get home.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:08 PM

Quote:
I wish! I am visiting my family for a few weeks, and I completely forgot to bring my cookbook (which I always have with me!). I'll get the recipe up here once I finally get home.

Thank you! My MIL is really interested in this recipe, too!
Old 01-03-2007, 02:15 AM

Thank you so much for the recipes!!! I'm going sugar free again and I need some new "treats" to try, these sound good! Cooking day tomorrow!

Mama to our nose-in-a-book Autumn (6) & our old soul Molly (4)
Imaginative, fun jewelry & photography Shenandoah Sunshine
Old 01-09-2007, 04:25 PM

Quote:
p.s. Maxwill129: I forced myself to make a breakfast snack today, just so I could snap this photo of a cooked cookie!

Okay, I have to comment that I have not yet gotten to the store for the things I need for this second recipe. DH put us on a budget (finally) and we are not going grocery shopping for much until we have figured out what we have to spend (which DH says is this next Tuesday- yippee!!). Anyway, I have been looking at the link to your cookie every day- it's almost as good as being able to bake them myself!

I'll let you know how they turn out next week after I've baked!

Shannon
Old 01-15-2007, 01:13 PM

Alright. I realized that I had all the things in my cupboards except the chocolate stuff, so I just made the cookies without, and OMGoodness!!! These are the BEST cookies I have ever eaten (and I STILL lost 3 pounds while gorging on them!!!). I can't WAIT to try them with the chocolate!!!!

Thank you, thank you for the recipes!!!!

Shannon

Oh, and the whole, put your dough in the freezer and just take out however you want to make at a time didn't work to keep me from eating them for breaskfast. Instead of eating cookies for breakfast, I ate the dough sometimes!!!
Old 01-15-2007, 09:58 PM

These cookies sound really yummy, but I need help knowing approx. how long to bake them. Even a rough guage will help! TIA!

Laura - Mom to ds (10) and dd (7) "Time stands still best in moments that look suspiciously like ordinary life." Brian Andreas.

Old 01-16-2007, 09:11 PM

First, and most importantly, CONGRATULATIONS ATD_Mom!!!!!! :

I've copied and pasted the recipes and will give them a try. Sounds yummy.

Mama to my sweet Sophia, born at home on 4/6/11.

namaste.gif

Old 01-16-2007, 10:44 PM

I made the oatrmeal/chocolate/peanut butter cookes today and . I did have a question though. I only used chocolate chips because I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be one or the other (chocolate chips or grated chocolate) or both. Either way they are very yummy and I froze half of the batter so we'll have fresh cookies next week.

Lauraloo - the cookies I made took exactly 13 minutes in my oven for a nice brown on the bottom but very soft on the inside. I'm not sure about the cookies in the OP.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

Old 01-17-2007, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mama to One beat me to it - I bake my cookies on an air bake, and they usually take 12-14 minutes or so, but this of course all depends on how big wide and thick you make your cookie patties. At about 12 minutes I start periodically sticking my hand in and touching one of the cookies, to see if it feels 'set' yet or not.

Also, on the chocolate thing: the recipe calls for BOTH chocolate chips and grated chocolate. Probably one of the reasons this is so super yummy.

I'm so happy to see people making and liking these! I never realized the pressure involved in putting a recipe out there for people to test. Whenever I get a notification on this thread, I always brace myself for, "Ew, yucky!" comments!

wateraddict, thanking you for the congrats!
Old 01-17-2007, 11:55 AM

Mmm. These sound super yummy! I do have a question though. Are "thick cut oats" regular rolled whole oats, or are they something else (more like steel cut oats??)? TIA!
Old 01-17-2007, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Shannon, I'm finally back home with my beloved cookbook, so I can post the carrot cake recipe.

Disclaimer: I have only made this modified recipe once, and with it I made mini-muffins. If I can get the energy in the next day or two, I will try it as a cake and see if it needs tweaking (my guess is that it does - I took out not only the sugar, but all of the oil, as well).

As a regular, non-modified recipe, this is one of the best carrot cakes I've ever had! Credit for this one goes to an ex-boyfriend of mine, Robin. My dad and I like to say we have gained something positive from all of our old relationships. This is about all I can come up with for this particular specimen! Anyhow:

No-Processed-Sugar Carrot Muffins

Cream together the following:
1 C Honey
1/2 C Maple Syrup
4 eggs

Sift or just plain ol' stir together the following:
1/3 C Flaxseed Meal
1 Cup All-Purpose Flour
1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp. allspice
1 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. salt

Mix the dry and wet stuff just until combined

Then add:
3 Cups of Shredded Carrots

If desired, stir in a cup of raising and/or a cup of walnuts

Hmmm. Again, I don't know how long to bake these in a 350* oven. My recipe says, "Until Ye Olde Toothpicke comes out clean." The cake version is 35-40 minutes.

I have loads of carrots in the fridge, will definitely try this out again and post any tweaks, hoping to beat Shannon to it!
Old 01-17-2007, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2tzatziki View Post
Mmm. These sound super yummy! I do have a question though. Are "thick cut oats" regular rolled whole oats, or are they something else (more like steel cut oats??)? TIA!
Rolled oats (also known as oatmeal, "old fashioned oatmeal", etc.) Definitely not steel cut oats, though. (Tried that once in a cookie - about broke a tooth!)
Old 01-17-2007, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Rolled oats (also known as oatmeal, "old fashioned oatmeal", etc.) Definitely not steel cut oats, though. (Tried that once in a cookie - about broke a tooth!)
Oh good. I've got *lots* of rolled oats. Now I can try these sooner! I wonder why I've never heard that name before...
Old 01-17-2007, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Shannon, I'm finally back home with my beloved cookbook, so I can post the carrot cake recipe.
nak

omg! how did i miss that u r expecting? congrats!!!

thanks for the recipe i'll give it a go (thanks robin )
Old 01-17-2007, 11:07 PM

I tried the choc. peanut butter oatmeal ones and I give it and

I used some white choc and some milk choc, probably about 10-11 oz all together as that's what I had on hand and they're still

Mama to my sweet Sophia, born at home on 4/6/11.

namaste.gif

Old 01-19-2007, 04:10 PM

I tried both of these recipes - oh my, too good !!!!

We had the carrot muffins with a homemade potatoe and corn soup. Dipping them in the soup was just about as good as it gets. DD1 said 'Mama this is better than pb&j'. That is a real accomplishment to any toddler (we only pb that is fresh crushed peanuts - nothing else allowed!).

I didn't add the chocolate to the pb/oatmeal cookies and they were still out of this world.

Thanks so much ATD_Mom !!!!
Old 01-19-2007, 04:54 PM

Ohhh, will definitely try these -- we (OK, not me, but DP! ) are going sugar-free, sorta. Anyway, always looking for good treats for the kids, and I do love carrot cake. Thanks, Mama!
Old 02-08-2007, 12:32 AM

Resurrecting... I made the 1st recipe today (Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Flaxseed Meal Cookies) using whole wheat pastry flour instead of the all-purpose. YUMMY!!!! I will definitely be making these again! I also wanted to mention that I got just shy of 3 dozen out of it, so unless you make really big cookies, this actually goes pretty far.

Thanks for sharing with us!!!

The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials. ~ Chinese proverb
Old 02-08-2007, 02:33 AM

Boy, I hit the jackpot when I found this thread!!
Old 02-09-2007, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

I could not be any happier to hear people like this stuff! So glad to share the yum.

I must also add this option: The first cookies - oatmeal choc chip - are usually made at my house not with chocolate chips, but with white chocolate chips and dried cherries. (about 3/4 C total)

Yummmy! My only advice there is this: Do not use Nestle white chocolate chips (they have an odd petroleum after taste to me), and I chop the dried cherries in half before putting them in.

Suddenly I'm inspired to cook again!
Old 02-10-2007, 02:04 AM

I have everything but the flaxseed meal, what can I use instead?

User Tag List