Wild-caught salmon from Wal-mart? OK or no? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-01-2006, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't do a lot of Wal-Mart shopping. But I was there the other day picking up my daughter's glasses (not hard to justify supporting the evil empire when they're only $40 a pair) and I noticed these frozen wild salmon filets at an incredible price. It was a whole fillet (or would it be half? one full fish-length) divided into 4 generous portions for less than $7. On the package it specified it was caught off the coast of Japan and showed the "fishing area" on a little map. I decided to try it and it was good. Would have been better if I had taken the time to marinate it.

We have been struggling with the price of good food. We eat mostly organic. Any non-organic meat we eat is at least humanely and cleanly raised. But the fish at Whole Foods is always so expensive, and since I don't love fish, we haven't been eating much of it. (I will splurge on something I love but have a hard time spending a lot on fish!) So I'm considering making this Wal-Mart fish a weekly feature. BUT before I do that, I really want to see if anyone knows anything, um, "fishy" about it!

Is there anything wrong with Japanese-caught salmon? Is the water there much worse than say, the water in Alaska or Norway? Without being totally paranoid, is there something I should be wary of? I've done some searching online but I haven't found anything worrisome yet.

"If you only knew how many things I want to say and don't, you'd give me some credit."
#2 of 9 Old 11-01-2006, 06:46 PM

I don't trust WalMart, so I say no. I wouldn't shop there if they gave everything free. (So I may not be the most unbiased person :-)
#3 of 9 Old 11-01-2006, 06:57 PM

Well, here's what the Monterey Aquarium fishwatch says about salmon - http://www.mbayaq.org/cr/SeafoodWatc...et.aspx?fid=27 They don't mention Japanese Wild-Caught. Knowing Wal-Mart and knowing their business practices, where do you think their salmon falls on the list? Probably better than farmed but not great. You can also look at the methods of fishing - http://www.mbayaq.org/cr/cr_seafoodwatch/sfw_gear.asp.

I have to agree with primjillie. I'd rather do without than buy at Wal-Mart.
#4 of 9 Old 11-02-2006, 02:48 AM

It's hard to find quality food at an affordable price so Walmart really feeds on that niche. I don't agree with their principals or their practices so I'd probably avoid it.

Lisa
#5 of 9 Old 11-02-2006, 03:00 AM

Consumer Reports ran an article in August about how stores lie and label farmed salmon as "wild" in order to charge more money for the fish. Read the article for yourself:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/f...rchTerm=salmon

The wild salmon season is only May-September. Maybe that wild salmon from Walmart is legitimate because it's frozen, not fresh, but I've never heard of wild salmon from Japan before. Also, I would never shop at Walmart either so I don't trust them.

Farmed salmon is the most contaminated food; it has the highest level of PCBs of any food.
#6 of 9 Old 11-02-2006, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by primjillie View Post
I don't trust WalMart, so I say no. I wouldn't shop there if they gave everything free. (So I may not be the most unbiased person :-)
Wow, you make me feel like such a whore! If Wal-Mart gave everything away free I might never buy anything again!

Thanks for the links... I would never buy farmed salmon, and I wouldn't trust Wal-mart's "seafood department" to label wild salmon honestly. But this stuff is pre-packaged by a company. It isn't a Wal-Mart brand. (But I don't remember what brand it is!) So to me it isn't so much a Wal-Mart trust issue on the health side of things. Too bad no website seems to be referencing Japanese salmon... hmmm... weird...

On the ethics side of things, I know you're right, I know you're right. BUT. There's this huge BUT in my head telling me that it is the lesser of two evils, because I don't want my kids to grow up never eating fish. And its only $7 on what can't be a huge profit margin, so its not like I'm snapping up their flat-screened tvs or anything. Very funny, laugh at my rationalizations!

I guess I need to find out the brand name and look up the company that packages it for more info.

"If you only knew how many things I want to say and don't, you'd give me some credit."
#7 of 9 Old 11-02-2006, 10:37 AM

Ya know what? We buy our HUGE salmon fillets at Sam's Club. Yup. DH cooks fish, loves it, loves cooking, likes to help with the shopping if he can buy his salmon at Sam's Club. So, we're eating Wal-Mart fish a couple of times a month. (Sam's is owned by Wal-mart.)

If I don't have to cook it, AND I get help in the purchasing of it, I am MUCH more generous with where it's purchased.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#8 of 9 Old 11-02-2006, 12:34 PM

I know it's hard to find time to read a whole book when you're busy with kids, but dh and I were able to find time to read "The Wal-mart Effect" by Charles Fishman, and we are very glad that we did. There is a whole chapter about Wal-mart's shockingly cheap salmon. Even though the stuff you've found is from off the coast of Japan and not Chile like the salmon talked about in the book, the same issues are, or will become, a problem, because of the pressure Wal-mart puts on suppliers.

It is sad to think that our kids might not taste fish very often, unless we visit family in Idaho and actually go catch them ourselves. However, I feel that our family's overall quality of life won't suffer as a result of eating closer to home. I even believe our quality of life will improve, because we're eating what THIS particular area (Upstate New York, in our case) has to offer, and enjoying the abundance of delicious local food so much that most of the time, we don't even miss the fish (or bananas, or pineapple, or olives). We're still trying to cut out orance juice...that'll be a toughie. But I'm rambling, so I'd better stop. Best of luck, and if you just have time to skim that chapter of the book, it might help you decide what to do.
#9 of 9 Old 11-02-2006, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Shauna, I will make the time to read at least that chapter!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page