Kid friendly warm beverage ideas??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-03-2006, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I posted this on the Life with babe section but I'll try here too...

I'm looking for some kid friendly warm beverage for my 3.5yo DD that does not include milk or chocolate.

She usually has 2 cups of warm milk a day, also I don't want to introduce her to chocolate milk or cocoa yet.

Any suggestions??
#2 of 8 Old 11-03-2006, 06:13 PM

My son is 2.5 and we occasionally do some warm apple cider sprinkled w/ cinnamon

Bone broths? A lot of NT families do this. I've never done them plain but DS does like to drink the broth from his soup.

Miso?

eta: DS also likes tea. We do Rooibos pretty often and he likes chamomile as well.
#3 of 8 Old 11-03-2006, 06:28 PM

dd and I had hot cider with cinnamon and lemon slices at breakfast today and then had some warmed Silk soy milk egg nog with nutmeg and vanilla for our "tea party" this afternoon.

Celestial Seasons makes some holiday teas (just don't get a caffinated one) that dd enjoys too.
#4 of 8 Old 11-03-2006, 07:25 PM

My boys love honey and lemon tea, which is really just raw honey in warm water with a squeeze of fresh lemon. It started when ds1 had a sore throat but now he asks for it all the time!

: mama to 4 boys
: : :
#5 of 8 Old 11-03-2006, 07:56 PM
cjr

Mulled juices. The girls love mulled cranberry juice. Just put some cranberry juice in you coffee pot (not the water part, but the actual pot) and turn it on. Add cinnamon sticks, cloves, cardamon...whatever you like. It takes about 4 hours to brew, but it's so good on a cold day after school.
#6 of 8 Old 11-03-2006, 08:43 PM

We do tea here too, and "cocoa" -- which is homemade, milk or soy milk with cocoa powder and either honey or stevia. Not sure what your objections are to cocoa, but there are ways to get around both the sugar and the actual chocolate part (you could use carob powder). Unless it's just out of principal.

You could also do warm honey milk, or vanilla milk, with vanilla extract and a natural sweetener if desired. Or cinnamon/other spices.

cjr, I've done mulled cider (and wine, but obvy not for the kids) in the crockpot.
#7 of 8 Old 11-04-2006, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I like to heat up unfiltered apple juice with some cinnamon and nutmeg added. For ds, I just cut it with water. Chammomile tea is a huge hit here, as well as other herbal teas (especially blueberry).

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#8 of 8 Old 11-04-2006, 10:10 PM

My kids really like herbal teas, especially ones that have a more fruity note. Traditional wassail, which is a mix of fruit juices and spices, is a big holiday hit around our house, though I don't serve it regularly throughout the rest of the year.

Bone broths, as a PP mentioned, and miso soup are both warm "drinks" that (some) of my kids like. I really spike the broth with a lot of soup spices and garlic, to give it extra flavor, because most everyone in our house finds it to be too bland, as a drink, otherwise.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page