Regular milk or organic ultra pasturized milk - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 49 Old 11-08-2006, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
These are my choices at the local stores. Which should I choose? My mom said we should not do ultra pasturized but she did not know why. Anyone know?

Thanks,
Allison

Allison wife and mom to four. 

#2 of 49 Old 11-08-2006, 02:00 PM

Regular as in just plain store brand milk? If so, I would go with organic. The "regular" milk would most likely be pasturized too.
#3 of 49 Old 11-08-2006, 04:34 PM

i would pick the non-organic pasturized. i hear ultra pasturized tends to taste burned, and it has been heated to such a high temp, you might as well not drink it at all.
#4 of 49 Old 11-08-2006, 05:24 PM

Ultra-pasteurized just means that the milk has been treated at high temperatures for a very short period of time; I think it's close to 300°F for 1-3 seconds. This allows more bacteria in the milk to be killed off and give it a longer shelf life. It may have a slightly more burnt or caramelized taste to due the denaturation of the milk proteins (heating meat or eggs is also a form of protein denaturation). "Regular" pasteurization is typically a little above 161°F for a little more than 15 seconds. There is some loss of nutritional value with any type of heat treatment and there is also a time/temperature relationship so I don't think there is a big difference in nutritional quality between regular and ultra- pasterurized milk. The decrease in nutritional quality is pretty minimal. I know there is a lot of argument about what heat treatment does to milk vs drinking raw milk but heating is a pretty basic and natural treatment. Heat treatment does denature enzymes like lipase that can destroy the quality of the milk (by attacking the fat).

Personally, we don't rely on milk as our primary nutrition source. We buy the organic ultra-pasteurized b/c I am more worried about hormones in the milk.

Proud mommy 9/2004 ribboncesarean.gif , 11/2007 vbac.gif, 2/2011 ribboncesarean.gif
ICAN of New Jersey --> find 2010 NJ hospital birth stats here!

#5 of 49 Old 11-08-2006, 05:28 PM

Neither. I don't buy my milk from the store anymore. I buy it straight from my farmer. The ultra pasteurized organic milk needs no refridgeration. They only put it in the refridgerated section so you'll buy it. Check out www.realmilk.com to see if there are any real milk sources near you.

Kim
#6 of 49 Old 11-08-2006, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

We are on WIC so I have to buy it at a store. Would be great if farms could take WIC though. And by regular I meant non organic store milk. Yes the reg milk is pasturized too but not ultra pasturized. So other than hormones I am wondering what this "ultra" pasturization (is that a word?) has done to the milk.

Allison wife and mom to four. 

#7 of 49 Old 11-08-2006, 07:38 PM

AllisonK, here's a link that might help: http://www.westonaprice.org/transition/dairy.html

If you look at the bottom, you'll see them address the ultrapasteurization and homogenization issues.

I wish I could do raw milk, but it's illegal in my state and I just can't drive hours to the next one. I've decided to give up on milk for now, and just have raw milk cheese and pasteurized, non-homogenized yogurt. For some reason, raw milk cheese is legal.

But when I was drinking milk, I had a very difficult time sorting everything out. I thought heating was no big deal. I just thought the issue was about killing off the good bacteria, which is true. But ultrapasteurization warps the proteins in milk, which the article doesn't even address. Also homongenization is evil. It renders the good fats in milk harmful. They break it up into a form that ends up clogging the arteries. So in my opinion, homogenized milk is not even good for kids (I do believe in saturated fats for kids, so that's not the issue).

Does whole foods accept wic? They have a pasteurized, non-homogenized brand that is $7 a gallon. Not cheap, but I wouldn't pay for regular milk or even ultrapasteurized organic milk even if it was dirt cheap. I would just avoid it altogether if it's ultrapasteurized and homogenized.

I'm a moderate type of person. I buy non-organic if the organic sort is too expensive or not available, so I don't think I'm excessively purist. But I truly think milk as it is being rendered today is bad news.
#8 of 49 Old 11-09-2006, 02:50 AM

Wow - some of the things is that article is so blatantly false. I work in the food industry and have worked with pasteurizing and homogenizing equipment. Ultra-pasteurization is shorter times; not longer. If it were longer, no one would do it because it wouldn't be cost effective. If you are worried about what homogenization does to milk fat than you better stay away from all salad dressings and most drinks other than water and alcohol. They are all homogenized.

I hate to say it but those references look made up. EIther that or they are referenced so poorly no one could locate the articles which don't even seem to address the issues of homogenization or pasteurization anyway. For example Nutrition News and Views was put out by Mississippi State U and was published weekly, not bimonthly as referenced in the article.

Homogenization linked to heart disease? Come on!!! First of all, it's not referenced. Animal fat in general is linked to heart disease (saturated fat!!). Homogenization has nothing to do with it.

Milk producers don't care if you know their milk is ultra-pasteurized. All references to pasteurization are written in small letters. There is nothing secretive about ultra-pasteurization as that article will have you believe.

Quite frankly, proteins in the milk are going to be denatured before you digest them. It can happen via heating (pasteurization) or it can happen if your stomach (via stomach acids).

Honestly - I am often very skeptical about our food supply since I work in the industry. My dd's teachers at school laugh at me b/c I am so picky about what she eats. : That article is a bit over the top though with unsubstantiated claims. For the record. I cut all the milk my dd drinks with rice milk. I totally support people's dairy choices or avoidances b/c I think you can do with or without milk but just know that articles like that are a bit embellished.

Proud mommy 9/2004 ribboncesarean.gif , 11/2007 vbac.gif, 2/2011 ribboncesarean.gif

#9 of 49 Old 11-09-2006, 02:56 AM

I choose organic. The stuff in non-organic milk is WAY scarier to me than what heat can do.

-Angela
#10 of 49 Old 11-09-2006, 03:13 AM

I buy organic from localy owned cows
#11 of 49 Old 11-09-2006, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlm194 View Post

Personally, we don't rely on milk as our primary nutrition source. We buy the organic ultra-pasteurized b/c I am more worried about hormones in the milk.
Exactly that. We've cut way down on milk consumption but dd likes some in her cereal and I like a small glass every now and then. I do go ahead and buy the organic ultra pasteurized because I am hoping it really doesn't have all those hormones, kwim?
#12 of 49 Old 11-09-2006, 01:20 PM

dlm194, I am not an expert on food, so I must rely on experts such as yourself. I'm sure you have a lot of knowledge given your profession, but in my research, I have seen many links between homogenized milk with heart disease. I'm not sure what you mean by avoiding salad dressing. I think the homogenization process in milk is peculiar to milk alone. But maybe you know something I don't. We all know what the establishment says about saturated fats. They do acknowledge that and still persisit in their belief that saturated fats are not the culprit. They provide a wealth of research. However, below I only include articles linking homogenization with heart disease. Here are a few such links. Perhaps you could address them.

http://www.realmilk.com/homogenization.html

http://www.authorsden.com/visit/view...19936&id=18866

http://www.wellbeingjournal.com/homogenized.htm

http://www.healthy-living.org/html/heart_disease.html

As for ultrapasteurization, I found a link on the WAP site that I include below, and one from Mercola relating ultrapasteurization as unhealthful. But they are the usual suspects. WAP foundation usually has good science and take particular pride in their independence of research. I don't necessarily believe that because the mainstream food scientists draw different conclusions that the WAP is wrong. But that's a whole other story. I have also gotten a lot of my info. from hearsay from other holistic moms for what that's worth.

http://www.westonaprice.org/motherli...rizedmilk.html
#13 of 49 Old 11-09-2006, 02:15 PM

If you are unable to get raw milk, buying whole organic pasteurized milk would still be better than regular nonorganic milk.

For a lot of us, buying raw milk is "illegal." We get by it by buying a share of a cow or buying from somebody as "pet food."

I never thought about the homogenization issue with salad dressing, but then again we make our own salad dressings.

Prenatal/Pediatric Chiropractor (Diplomate) , raising the next generation drug-free!
DS - CJ :, the love of my life
#14 of 49 Old 11-09-2006, 10:30 PM

Could you try a different store? Or talk to the store you do go to getting a different brand of organic milk?

#15 of 49 Old 11-09-2006, 11:12 PM

When we were on WIC I had a df child and I was nursing df! I had so much stupid milk I didn't use. I gave it to my ILS who lived with us. No milk is better than any pasturized milk product. Pasturized milk will kill a baby cow -- now, why would I want to consume that or let my child consume it?

If those are the only 2 choices, neither. Milk isn't all it's cracked up to be and the only reason why it is so pushed is b/c if not nursing oz per oz it packs the most fat and calories for toddlers. Docs think toddlers can't learn to eat enough, balance nutrition or something -- look at all the toddler nutritional drinks and snacks now a days???:

If you must have milk for some reason and can't afford raw dairy, choose rice or almond. When we were not consuming dairy 1 little carton of rice would last a month on just cereal or in the occassional baked item.

Mary Lou Henner was my no dairy support. Then I started reading about real milk, raw dairy. Since my dh likes milk and so does my ds1, I decided I would prefer to give them raw dairy than store processed pasturized poison. After over a year with raw dairy coming into the house, I have just now started to put some on my cereal, when I eat cereal (which is rare).
#16 of 49 Old 11-09-2006, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
WIC here won't let me get organic milk at all. I've been getting the conventional regular pasturized milk, but selected a brand that didn't add hormones to the milk.

Now that DS is "graduating" from WIC, I'm going to have to figure out what kind of milk I should be buying.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#17 of 49 Old 11-10-2006, 10:37 PM

Mommay ~ The fundamental problem with the information presented in those articles is that's pretty much all speculation. That doesn't mean it's false!!! However, if you look at things logically, just shaking milk is homogenization. I'm not sure how those who raw milk actually consume it but if you shake the milk to blend the fat and skim portions, then you have homogenized. You just haven't broken the fat globules to particles that are as small as when you use an industrial homogenizer.

The fact is that ALL food is chemicals. Anytime you process food you will change its chemical properties. By "process" I mean even something as simple as mixing. Mixing will reduce particle size, mixing will denature proteins, etc (mixing cause protein denaturation which allows us to "whip" cream. Steaming vegetables destroys enzymes. Even time changes the chemical properties of foods.

One of the big reasons I don't go along with those articles is that they keep pointing out that homogenization began in the 30s and heart disease started becoming a much bigger issue after that. Well, right around that time other big changes happened in our society - most notably, the booming business of process foods! Why blame homogenized milk when so many other changes in our diet were taking place? If you use the "timing" logic then you better vaccinate your kids because after vaccines, many diseases sharply decreased. Of course many diseases were decreasing at the same time the vaccines were being introduced....

Personally, I think a lot of heart disease today (and this is total opinion here! ) came due to the introduction of formula. One key ingredient that formula is missing is cholesterol. Breastmilk has cholesterol. I kind of think that our bodies better learn how to process cholesterol when properly exposed to it when young. Again, that's total speculation and opinion on my part but it makes sense to me!

If homogenization is really a concern, you could simply use skim milk as much as possible. Technically skim milk can contain up to almost 0.5g fat so it is still homogenized but if there is little fat in there, then there is a lesser chance of ingesting the XO that those articles are concerned about.

I just want to reiterate that I am not criticizing anyone's choice of milk at all (or trying to say that people should drink homogenized milk)!!! I just don't personally think it matters whether it's homogenized or not.

#18 of 49 Old 11-10-2006, 10:58 PM

Don't drink milk then.
Seriously, we only use milk (organic, because I think hormones and pesticides are way worse than pasteurization) for cereal and DH uses it for coffees. I can totally do without it, I buy it for DH and SS. I doubt I will introduce it to my DS. I don't see a point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra375 View Post
Pasturized milk will kill a baby cow -- now, why would I want to consume that or let my child consume it?
This makes my point. Why would you want to consume a living milk that is NOT designed for you, but for baby cows?

Anyway, just my two cents.
#19 of 49 Old 11-10-2006, 11:22 PM

I would drink the UHT organic first because with organic cows are required access to grass. How much grass is the question, but knowing nothing else, that's what I'd go with.

I've looked for studies on vitamin loss in ultra pasteurized milk and haven't found evidence that it is as dire as some of the WAPF literature claims. But there is not a whole lot of research on the topic to begin with. I have no idea about the effect of homogenization but would still choose a milk that isn't homogenized just in case. How's that for research?

And as a sidenote, my son's godfather's father developed the homogenization process for a big Michigan dairy back in the 1920s. Oh, the name of the company escapes me. Anyway, it was a process that was more simplified than the previous and allowed homogenization to happen on a mass scale. Their reason was concern about rickets and vitamin D -- parents skimmed the fat off the top for their coffee and the children got rickets from a vitamin D deficiency. Homogenization helped with the deficiency problem and, of course, at some point they started adding vitamin D to the milk, probably as grain feeding of cows became universal.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#20 of 49 Old 11-11-2006, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Force View Post
I have no idea about the effect of homogenization but would still choose a milk that isn't homogenized just in case. How's that for research?
That works for me a lot of the times.

That's really interesting about your son's godfather's father. He probably didn't know the huge impact he would make!

dlm194, I think that the fact that the fat is broken down to such small portions is the issue. I think the whole fat globule is healthful, but the broken down ones just end up clogging your arteries. But I am not a food expert as I said, so I won't attempt to argue a technical point. But there has to be a huge difference between just shaking the milk and the homogenization porcess precisely because the latter causes fat to never separate.

I won't get into the whole WAP if you're not aware of it, but if you acknowledge cholesterol as essential to health (as WAP does), then perhaps you'd be sympathetic to the idea that so is saturated fats. They show in numerous studies how these fats are villainized, as cholesterol is, for bad reasons.

That's also a reason why skim milk would not be a good idea. The healthful part of milk is the fat. If you notice, that's why skim milk always have added A and D (these are in the fat). Usually these added vitamins are synthetic forms that don't even get utilized very well. Gale Force points out that drinking milk without the fat has caused rickets in children in the past.
#21 of 49 Old 11-11-2006, 01:06 AM

Speaking of shaking the milk, the proponents of the exclusive milk diets from a century ago (see the milk diet) said not to try to mix the cream back into the milk if it had already separated. So they would probably oppose homogenization.

They were also bigger on the non-fat part of the milk since they used skim milk for some of their patients but never used just cream. In fact, they preferred milk from Holsteins because the fat globule is smaller than the Jersey and the Guernsey. Jersey milk is "too fat" basically, in sharp contrast to the current consumers for raw, whole milk.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#22 of 49 Old 11-11-2006, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommay View Post
dlm194, I think that the fact that the fat is broken down to such small portions is the issue. I think the whole fat globule is healthful, but the broken down ones just end up clogging your arteries.
But your body breaks down food into useable components so, again, that argument really holds no weight in my opinion. Again, I just don't see nutritional advantage or disadvantage to homogenization. That's why I don't really think it matters whether or not milk is homogenized. If you prefer the un-homogenized, then go for it!!

Quote:
But I am not a food expert as I said, so I won't attempt to argue a technical point. But there has to be a huge difference between just shaking the milk and the homogenization porcess precisely because the latter causes fat to never separate.
That's just due to laws of physics. BTW - salad dressings which contain oil and most flavored drinks are homogenized. You may want to consider that with future food choices. Salad dressings go through a machine called a colloid mill which is essentially a homogenizer designed for thicker foods.

Quote:
I won't get into the whole WAP if you're not aware of it, but if you acknowledge cholesterol as essential to health (as WAP does), then perhaps you'd be sympathetic to the idea that so is saturated fats. They show in numerous studies how these fats are villainized, as cholesterol is, for bad reasons.
I absolutely acknowledge that cholesterol is essential to health. It gives structure to the plasma membrane of our cells. This is why our bodies manufacture it and why it is wise to consume cholesterol (but not too much of course). Some people's bodies produced too much cholesterol no matter what their diet though.

Quote:
That's also a reason why skim milk would not be a good idea. The healthful part of milk is the fat. If you notice, that's why skim milk always have added A and D (these are in the fat). Usually these added vitamins are synthetic forms that don't even get utilized very well. Gale Force points out that drinking milk without the fat has caused rickets in children in the past.
The fat in milk is saturated fat which is not particularly healthful at all. You are much better off consuming unsaturated fats. There is only so much cholesterol you need. Plus, the extra fat gives you extra calories which are probably not needed in the diet (depend on how much else you eat). All milk has vitamin D added. Milk doesn't naturally come with a lot of vitamin D. The reason it is added is to boost the absorption of calcium. It doesn't matter if vitamin D is absorbed well or not though. Your body produces vitamin D with the help of the sun (this is why prisoners must be allowed out each day). As long as you get sunlight each day, you should make all the vitamin D you need. You do need fat though to absorb vitamin D. Vitamins A, D, E and K are the fat soluble vitamins. Fat can come from many sources though.

Rickets is a disease in children where the do not get enough calcium (doesn't matter if the milk is skim or full fat for calcium). As a result, their bones are broken down to release calcium into their blood streams to allow other physiological process to continue (particularly muscle contractions). The major role that vitamin D plays is allowing calcium to be absorbed better. However, the sun will prevent vitamin D deficiencies.

If you drink milk for vitamin A and D, then I totally understand why you want milk with fat in it. Personally, I don't think that much saturated fat is necessary since we get fat in many other foods we eat. We drink milk primarly for calcium which is essential to pretty much all life functions. For that reason, we usually drink skim or 1%.

#23 of 49 Old 11-11-2006, 10:37 PM

dlm194, I don't get that you read the articles. Another one is http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyour...enization.html.

To quote a part: "He believed that this new membrane protected the XO from digestive enzymes, allowing some XO to pass intact within the fat globules from the gut into the circulatory system when homogenized milk is consumed.3 He referred to these fat globules as liposomes and argued that the liposomes carrying XO were absorbed intact. After entering the circulation, they travel to the capillaries, where the lipoprotein membranes appear to be digested by the enzyme lipoprotein lipase, thus freeing the XO for absorption into the body, including the heart and artery tissues, where it may interact with and destroy plasmalogen.

In essence, Oster's theory replaces cholesterol as the cause of heart disease with another mechanism, summarized as follows:

Homogenization causes a supposedly "noxious" enzyme called xanthine oxidase to be encapsulated in a liposome that can be absorbed intact.
XO is released by enzymatic action and ends up in heart and arterial tissue where it causes the destruction of a specialized protective membrane lipid called plasmalogen, causing lesions in the arteries and resulting in the development of plaque."

Also, for the benefits of saturated fats: http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyour...t_sat_fat.html

It's fine if you don't want to read them. If you want to stick with your views and not address the other side of the argument, that's your choice as well. BTW, I'm convinced all those are meant to be condenscending, so I won't assume you're trying to be my best friend.

Feel free to reply, I'm going to exit the discussion now.
#24 of 49 Old 11-11-2006, 10:56 PM

Quote:
your body breaks down food into useable components so, again, that argument really holds no weight in my opinion.
The cofactors in a given *natural* form of food allow for better bioavailability of different vitamins and minerals. Food is much more than just its chemistry, especially when there's so much that's still unknown.

Quote:
That's just due to laws of physics. BTW - salad dressings which contain oil and most flavored drinks are homogenized. You may want to consider that with future food choices. Salad dressings go through a machine called a colloid mill which is essentially a homogenizer designed for thicker foods.
Interesting. We avoid commercial dressings anyway, due to rancidity of the oils as well as their high Omega-6 content, but I was not aware of this. All the more reason to avoid them.

Quote:
I absolutely acknowledge that cholesterol is essential to health. It gives structure to the plasma membrane of our cells. This is why our bodies manufacture it and why it is wise to consume cholesterol (but not too much of course). Some people's bodies produced too much cholesterol no matter what their diet though.
Or perhaps cholesterol is produced to repair problems within the body, and it's irrelevant what one's dietary cholesterol is. nak, google Uffe Ravenskov.

Quote:
The fat in milk is saturated fat which is not particularly healthful at all. You are much better off consuming unsaturated fats. There is only so much cholesterol you need. Plus, the extra fat gives you extra calories which are probably not needed in the diet (depend on how much else you eat).
Cell walls are over 50% saturated fat. Saturated fats can also be beneficial in many other ways, for example lauric acid which is antimicrobial and present in hgh quantitied in breastmilk and coconut oil. Also, see http://www.eatwild.com, grassfed cows' milk is high in Omega-3's

Quote:
All milk has vitamin D added. Milk doesn't naturally come with a lot of vitamin D. The reason it is added is to boost the absorption of calcium. It doesn't matter if vitamin D is absorbed well or not though. Your body produces vitamin D with the help of the sun (this is why prisoners must be allowed out each day). As long as you get sunlight each day, you should make all the vitamin D you need.
No. Again, you're thinking of the factory-farmed, grain fed cow. There is much more Vitamin D in a grass-fed pastured cow.
I don't know where you live, but between November (or is it October?, I'll have to look it up again) and April where *I* live, the sun is too low for *any* Vitamin D production. At all. And most people I know wearsunscreen all the time in the summer. SAD and MS, anyone?

Quote:
However, the sun will prevent vitamin D deficiencies.
See above.
#25 of 49 Old 11-12-2006, 05:44 PM

We usually by Natural by Nature (grass fed organic, and not ultra-past.) but when at a mainstream grocery store the choices are usually regular milk vs. ultra-pasteurized organic. I always go for the organic in this case. First, I think regular milk is filled with a lot of things (pesticides, hormones, antibiotics) far more harmful than superheated milk, and second, I want to support the organic farming industry whereever I can.
#26 of 49 Old 11-13-2006, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommay View Post
dlm194, I don't get that you read the articles. Another one is http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyour...enization.html.

To quote a part: "He believed that this new membrane protected the XO from digestive enzymes, allowing some XO to pass intact within the fat globules from the gut into the circulatory system when homogenized milk is consumed.3 He referred to these fat globules as liposomes and argued that the liposomes carrying XO were absorbed intact. After entering the circulation, they travel to the capillaries, where the lipoprotein membranes appear to be digested by the enzyme lipoprotein lipase, thus freeing the XO for absorption into the body, including the heart and artery tissues, where it may interact with and destroy plasmalogen.

In essence, Oster's theory replaces cholesterol as the cause of heart disease with another mechanism, summarized as follows:

This is all THEORY!! It even says theory in there! It says he "believed." There is no concrete evidence of this. I'm sorry if I am trained to question these things further vs just going along with random, unproved theories.

Quote:
Homogenization causes a supposedly "noxious" enzyme called xanthine oxidase to be encapsulated in a liposome that can be absorbed intact.
XO is released by enzymatic action and ends up in heart and arterial tissue where it causes the destruction of a specialized protective membrane lipid called plasmalogen, causing lesions in the arteries and resulting in the development of plaque."
The word "supposedly" indicates speculation. Do you really even understand what this XO is? What is the chemical structure? Where is the research on it? How do they detect it? What equipment do they use? How do they detect it in the body? Why is it that when people can't argue further they resort to insults like "I don't get that you read the article?" I've tried to have meaningful and intelligent discussion here and I simply get passive insults thrown at me.

Quote:
Also, for the benefits of saturated fats: http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyour...t_sat_fat.html
Man.... you are the dairy industry's best friend!!!!!

Quote:
It's fine if you don't want to read them. If you want to stick with your views and not address the other side of the argument, that's your choice as well. BTW, I'm convinced all those are meant to be condenscending, so I won't assume you're trying to be my best friend.
Wow.... I've been quite polite this whole time and all of the sudden you are getting snarky. First of all, I DID read the articles. I addressed many of the issues. I was trying to present information to give you all points of view. I've said MANY times in my posts that I am not trying to tell anyone not to drink homogenized milk. I just really don't think it matters so homogenized or not, it's the same. The weren't condescending at all. I was actually trying to keep the conversation friendly. I guess my techical knowledge is intimidating. I don't know!! Suddenly you are trying to say that I haven't answered any questions at all.

Quote:
Feel free to reply, I'm going to exit the discussion now.
That's too bad! I'm sorry that you feel that way but hopefully this will be food for thought for others.

#27 of 49 Old 11-13-2006, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Man.... you are the dairy industry's best friend!!!!!
Actually, WAP is pretty ant-dairy-industry. Just thought I'd point that out
#28 of 49 Old 11-13-2006, 04:48 PM

I just want to say that as someone interested in learning more about raw milk and all isssues of pasteurization/homogenization that this has been a thread I've been reading with not much knowledge base. I've read most of the WAPF site but have also heard here that Sally Fallon can be pretty biased to the point of being inexact with her science (and yes, I know that WP is not SF, but I mean the whole site basically), so I've kept my mind open while learning about it all.

That being said, I don't think dlm194 was sounding patronizing at all. I don't know whether her science is correct or not (i.e., is this a mainstream vs alternative debate) but unless there is some backstory I don't know about as a fairly new lurker, I think she is being spoken to pretty unfairly.

I enjoy the milk threads and truly appreciate the knowledge I'm learning, so hopefully it can continue without eventually getting yanked. :

#29 of 49 Old 11-13-2006, 07:48 PM

I think we should all pay more attention to dairies and report back here on how typical this picture is:

http://www.westonaprice.org/transition/dairy.html

We have a lot of dairies in our area and I've never seen this. I have never in my life paid that much attention to udders, but it seems like an udder like that would command your attention. I'm going to start looking.

And I thought breastfeeding made my breasts huge.

#30 of 49 Old 11-13-2006, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerthElde View Post
Actually, WAP is pretty ant-dairy-industry. Just thought I'd point that out
: I should have expounded on that further. *If* saturated fat was truly good for you, the dairy industry would be all over it!!! What a great marketing tool that would be. I'm not big on the dairy industry's marketing techniques but they know saturated fats have bad press which is why the market low fat products a lot.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page