Eat Right 4 Your Type? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-12-2006, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey Mamas,
I hope that I'm not duplicating other threads (I did a search but didn't find anything specific) - I am wondering if any of you have heard of and/or tested out the Eat Right 4 Your Type nutritional philosophy. DH and I were looking at the book at the bookstore today and it seems interesting, but it could also be a gross overgeneralization.

So...any thoughts?

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 11-12-2006, 09:45 PM

I thought it made a lot of sense to me, and do feel better eating the foods proscribed for my type (Type O blood). It's not a strict kind of diet, they suggest you try to make sure at least 80% of the foods you eat are from the list of foods that are good for your type.

There's a website here on it, with lots more info and message boards:
http://www.dadamo.com/

Alyssa
#3 of 9 Old 11-12-2006, 10:08 PM
AJP

It's been discussed here before, try searching for "blood type diet". I think that yes, it's a gross over-generalization, as well as being riddled with inconsistencies. I looked into it quite a bit in the past. I think metabolic typing is a far more useful guide (well, actually, I think instinct and being tuned into one's own body is the way to go, but metabolic typing can be a tool to help a person get to that point).

There is no secret ingredient.
#4 of 9 Old 11-13-2006, 02:53 AM

My advice would be to bypass that particular book and look at either The Metabolic Typing Diet (far more clear and true) or look at his new book when it comes out which deals not with blood type but with genomes. It may be out already, come to think of it?
#5 of 9 Old 11-13-2006, 05:26 AM

i second going straight to 'The Metabolic Typing Diet'

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

#6 of 9 Old 11-14-2006, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not necessarily doing it to lose weight...more to increase my overall fitness and health. I'm type A, and it says I should be a vegetarian and stay away from dairy. I definitely feel that my natural tendency is toward vegetarianism; I'm not sure about giving up dairy, though! Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone else had given this a try.

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#7 of 9 Old 11-14-2006, 06:53 PM

My mom got the book and thought it was great-- but they can't do anything, they adopted 6 kids who are not related to each other, so she can't cook for one type. I can't either-- I'm O, dh is A and kids are B, so I didn't bother. But it made sense to me-- in the since that one type doesn't digest meat well, and I had found that in people I knew. Basically, I cook something and pay attention to how everyone reacts with it. Kids do good, dh is more sensitive to foods, so I typically cook around that- and since I do, I make everything from scratch, and that helps a TON! Plus much healthier.
*The part I love the most in that book was that "O" type shouldn't eat oatmeal and all growing up my mom forced oatmeal on us every morning because "it's good for you" (Both parents are "O", so us in the first group of kids were all the same)! She didn't appreciate it when I pointed that one out. he he he!

Rachel, wife to Brian, mother of 5. Lover of birth.
Blog on profile.
#8 of 9 Old 11-14-2006, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Amy* View Post
I'm not necessarily doing it to lose weight...more to increase my overall fitness and health. I'm type A, and it says I should be a vegetarian and stay away from dairy. I definitely feel that my natural tendency is toward vegetarianism; I'm not sure about giving up dairy, though! Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone else had given this a try.
The right diet will bring health- a byproduct of which will be having the right amount of weight on you. I would still say metabolic typing for health. It's amazing what having the right ratio of macronutrients can do for you.
#9 of 9 Old 11-14-2006, 11:55 PM

I third the metabolic type... not the blood type. My blood type diet is the exact opposite of what I should be eating.

Prenatal/Pediatric Chiropractor (Diplomate) , raising the next generation drug-free!
DS - CJ :, the love of my life

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page