Peeling hard boiled eggs - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 11-13-2006, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was vegan for a LONG time so I have no experience here. I thought I remembered someone saying that there is a trick to making hard boiled aggs easier to peel. I just spent a very frustrating half hour trying to peel 6 eggs. I wasted a great deal of egg because the whites were stuck to the shell. What is the trick?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 25 Old 11-13-2006, 07:42 PM

Starting with old eggs helps immensely. Fresh eggs are extremely hard to peel, IME. I run my eggs under the faucet while peeling, as the water helps separate the shell from the white. My other tip is to start with the larger end of the egg, using the air pocket there to help you get under the membrane. HTH.

crafty mama to Chloe and Emma (10/08) and Piper
emergency medicine PA and single mother by choice
#3 of 25 Old 11-13-2006, 07:45 PM

They also peel a bit easier if you peel them while they're still hot instead of completely cool. I just cool them down enough to handle them (in a bowl of cold water), and peel them in the water.
#4 of 25 Old 11-13-2006, 08:24 PM

Definitely make sure you use old eggs--I leave mine out for a while before I make hard boiled eggs with them.
#5 of 25 Old 11-13-2006, 10:51 PM

If you aren't going to use them right away and want them to keep for later, it seems to help if you give them a good shock in cold water after cooking. Just keep running the cold over them until the water stops turning warm (does that makes sense?).

Allison.... mom of DS1 (7) and DS2 (4) and awaiting #3 near the end of April 2011
#6 of 25 Old 11-13-2006, 10:55 PM

I always cool them quickly by emptying the pot as soon as they're boiled, fill it with cold water twice and then leave them. I can peel them later and they shells come away. I fully tap all the shell till broken and then then it tends to just slide off with a little pulling rather than needing to actually peel it bit by bit.

It's a Delight-Filled Life.
 computergeek2.gif 

#7 of 25 Old 11-13-2006, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

What do you mean by old eggs? You leave them out of the fridge?

I cool mine with ice water as that is what I remembered my mother doing. Our eggs always peeled easy back then. I did use really fresh eggs. Dd loves hard boiled eggs so I wanted to have a dozen ready to eat in the fridge for snacks. But not if I have to spend 10 minutes trying to peel them......
#8 of 25 Old 11-14-2006, 01:11 AM

i use old eggs like the ones that are going to expire soon...
#9 of 25 Old 11-14-2006, 01:16 AM

I was just wondering this myself. I found a website that gives about as much info on hard cooked eggs as you could ever want!

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Eggs/BoiledEggs.htm

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#10 of 25 Old 11-14-2006, 01:49 AM

I crack (with a table knife) the end of the egg that has the air pocket (small end) before cooking the egg. That way the water gets in and helps loosen the shell a bit.

After the eggs have cooked I stick then in ice water for a few mintues.

I can successfuly peel eggs the chickens laid the day before using the above methods.
#11 of 25 Old 11-14-2006, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moms3kids View Post
i use old eggs like the ones that are going to expire soon...

Like, how old are we talking about here?

I bought fresh eggs from a colleague, left them on my desk overnight, then put them in my office fridge. They were in the cold fridge for about a month, then the power went out overnight in my office building about a week ago. They're still in the )cold-again) fridge.

Can I make safe, good-tasting hard-boiled eggs out of this dozen? Or should I just dump them in the woods on my way to the parking lot this evening?

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#12 of 25 Old 11-14-2006, 02:57 PM

If you put a little vinegar in the water when you cook them, they peel much much easier!
Mel
#13 of 25 Old 11-14-2006, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwinorth View Post
If you put a little vinegar in the water when you cook them, they peel much much easier!
Mel
Yes! That sounds like what I read before!!!!!! I am going to try that
#14 of 25 Old 11-14-2006, 05:46 PM

One day out of the fridge is like a week in the fridge. Eggs that are older REALLY do work better. Leave them on the counter for a day or too.

My father hardboils eggs for my mother every week. He actually steams them now instead of boiling. He found the recipe on the food network. It does not leave a discoloration around the yolk and he likes that.
#15 of 25 Old 11-14-2006, 06:02 PM

Quote:
I bought fresh eggs from a colleague, left them on my desk overnight, then put them in my office fridge. They were in the cold fridge for about a month, then the power went out overnight in my office building about a week ago. They're still in the )cold-again) fridge.
Eggs are fine until they're not. I know, it seems like a strange statement. They just don't go a little bad. They're either OK or they're not.

If you crack one egg, you'll be able to tell VERY quickly if it still OK. If one out of the batch is still OK, I'd imagine the rest are too. I wouldn't wait too much longer to use them though. They would make GREAT hard boiled eggs!

We regularly keep eggs in our fridge for a month and we've never had a problem.

Quote:
My father hardboils eggs for my mother every week. He actually steams them now instead of boiling. He found the recipe on the food network. It does not leave a discoloration around the yolk and he likes that.
The discoloration (the grey ring I assume) comes from actually OVER boiling the eggs.

Another way to hard boil eggs without that discoloration is to put them in a pot of cold water.Turn the plate on high. When the water is boiling, turn the plate off, cover the pot with a lid and leave it on the hot plate for 15 minutes. Come out perfectly everytime.
#16 of 25 Old 11-14-2006, 06:25 PM

OK, thanks Samantha. I'm bringing them home TONIGHT and boiling them.

Thanks for the method advice, too. The NY Times did a long article on hardboiling eggs about 5 years ago, but I've forgotten the basics.

Eggs for all this week!

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#17 of 25 Old 11-14-2006, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elowyn View Post
I run my eggs under the faucet while peeling, as the water helps separate the shell from the white. My other tip is to start with the larger end of the egg, using the air pocket there to help you get under the membrane. HTH.
this helps me sooo much! i used to dread peeling eggs but now they're a cinch and i can peel them in 1-2 minutes! it also helps a ton if you peel them right away in cold water, what i usually do is take them right to the sink and put the pot in the sink and start runnung the cold water into the pot while i start peeling the first one. good luck!

Stephanienut.gif, RT, Mama to Jenergy.gif (4/06), Nfencing.gif (9/10), and someone new stork-girl.gif (2/14), partner to Vdrum.gif and Learning to take it one day at a timepraying.gif 
#18 of 25 Old 11-14-2006, 07:54 PM

Brown eggs are harder to peel than the white variety, not sure why
Also the tip with adding about a dollop of vinagar is key!! This also help them to not crack and rupture while boiling. Start with cold eggs in cold water set the timer for 15min, right away, they shoud be perfectly cooked by the time the timer goes off. I use a saucepan and about 6 eggs at a time for this method. Also run them under cold water until it is completely cold and then they are a cinch peel.

Molly, Mama, living in the burbs with a beehive and chicken coop,  herb student, gardener, crunchy and preggers with #3, due Nov 4th.flower.gif
The fruit of the spirit is: Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness,goodness, gentleness and self control.:
#19 of 25 Old 11-14-2006, 07:58 PM

another big help is using a spoon.
after shocking with cold water, crack the bottom (where the air pocket is) and slip the spoon under the shell, concave side toward the egg, then peel away. easy, easy, easy.

Rachel. Devoted wife and joyful mama to Beatrice June(2/25/08) and Leona Agnes (8/10/10).
#20 of 25 Old 11-14-2006, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASusan View Post

Can I make safe, good-tasting hard-boiled eggs out of this dozen? Or should I just dump them in the woods on my way to the parking lot this evening?
Fresh-from-the-chicken eggs are good for a *long* time. The egg naturally has a special coating that keeps it fresh while the hen is laying more eggs in her nest to accumulate enough eggs to start setting on them to hatch them out. Unfortunately eggs from the supermarket have been washed so they're lacking their natural coating.

A lot of people in the world don't even refrigerate their eggs because the natural egg coating makes refrigeration unnecessary.
#21 of 25 Old 11-14-2006, 09:09 PM

A tablespoon of salt in the water makes them peel easily.
#22 of 25 Old 11-15-2006, 12:09 PM

not refrigerate eggs? ooo bad idea.

Eggs that are bad - FLOAT. Eggs that are getting old float slightly, like stand on one end. Those are still okay to use.

My perfect hardboiled easy to peel eggs: cold water, cold eggs bring to a boil uncovered. When rolling boil, turn off and cover, leave for 15minutes. Run cold water over them and I shake the pan around, cracking the shells so the cold water seeps in.....easy peeling!
#23 of 25 Old 11-15-2006, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Wow. This is really an art-form, isn't it?

I had not idea. I WAY overcooked my eggs last time and they were brown eggs so that might be part of the problem...... I have a glass-top stove that SUCKS so it is hard to figure out what to do. I like the boil then turn-off method, I am going to try that next time. My Betty Crocker book said to boil them for 15 minutes but I had to extend the time because when I put it down to simmer it quit boiling. That might not have been a good move.

Are hard boiled eggs even good for you? Or does cooking the eggs take away the good things?
#24 of 25 Old 11-15-2006, 02:38 PM

I crack mine to bits on the sink sides and kindof roll the egg between my hands then use running cool water to help wash it away, I don't think it's hard!
#25 of 25 Old 11-15-2006, 02:43 PM

I thought I'd add one extra tip, something that I didn't learn until I was in my 30s, when someone was in my house doing it. While peeling, you can put the egg under cold running water to wash off any extra bits of skin/shell, etc. It takes off larger chunks, too.

Probably everyone knows that one already, right? :

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page