Red spots in eggs? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 12-18-2006, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know if they are safe/clean to eat or do you toss the egg? I've gotten such conflicting answers on this so I figured I'd ask you wise women!
#2 of 22 Old 12-18-2006, 12:28 PM

Heheh a funny question since as a religious Jew, I'm required to check for those blood spots because we're not allowed to eat blood!
Other than my restriction, though, I think they're harmless. They are just tiny spots of blood.
#3 of 22 Old 12-18-2006, 01:01 PM

i spoon out the red spots and use the eggs...

chicken3.gif mama knit.gif to 3 farmboys (9 reading.gif, 6 blahblah.gif & 3 notes2.gif ) and 1 farmgirl (baby.gif)
#4 of 22 Old 12-18-2006, 01:20 PM

yea, the blood is kinda freaky but it doesn't make it taste any different. We try to spoon it out as well when I catch them.
#5 of 22 Old 12-18-2006, 01:34 PM

totaly harmless.
#6 of 22 Old 12-18-2006, 01:44 PM

It means that it is a cage free chicken because that little spot of blood means the egg is fertilized. The hens have been running around with the roosters
#7 of 22 Old 12-18-2006, 01:53 PM

Quote:
It means that it is a cage free chicken because that little spot of blood means the egg is fertilized. The hens have been running around with the roosters
Not always. It CAN mean a fertilized egg, but it can also just be a spot of blood that got caught in the egg while it was being "produced" by the chicken.

It is perfectly fine to eat, even it is a bit icky to see.
#8 of 22 Old 12-18-2006, 02:36 PM

It does *not* mean the egg is fertilized. A fertilized egg has a white spot, looks kind of like a bullseye, on the yolk. A red spot is the result of a blood vessel rupturing during the formation of the egg. I believe the blood does eventually become absorbed by the white, so older eggs are less likely to show evidence of blood spots. That's one reason why grocery store eggs so rarely have blood spots.

Now, I'm curious. From a Kosher perspective, if you crack an egg into a bowl and find a blood spot, what does that mean for the bowl? Do you need to kasher it? I've been told (by a friend who keeps Kosher) that glass bowls are easier to kasher than other materials since glass is so non-absorbent; so, do observant Jews keep pyrex bowls on hand just for things like this?
#9 of 22 Old 12-18-2006, 02:41 PM

The bowl is fine, it does not become traif (un-kosher). Just gotta throw the whole egg out! I check my eggs in a glass though, they're easier for me to spot that way.

The absorbency stuff has more to do with meat and dairy, and temperature has a lot to do with that (has to be hot enough to absorb into the bowl, or whatever).

#10 of 22 Old 12-18-2006, 02:49 PM

Aren't the little red spots from the rooster?
#11 of 22 Old 12-18-2006, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh_mom View Post
Aren't the little red spots from the rooster?
Nope! See what Tboroson said and also http://www.aeb.org/LearnMore/EggFacts.htm#bloodspots
#12 of 22 Old 12-19-2006, 03:10 AM

I have been wondering this for a long time...thanks for answering this question! It is icky to think about....does anyone know why some egg yolkks are so much more yellow than others?
#13 of 22 Old 12-19-2006, 03:13 AM

Never mind on the color of the yolk question...I just read further on the posted link and got the answer!
#14 of 22 Old 12-19-2006, 12:17 PM

That site is great for information, but for the informed I would think that an ORANGE yolk would be ideal.

It also drives me nutty when on the carton/package it say "fed natural vegitarin diet". Chickens are omniovaurs, borderline carnivaurs, there is NOTHING natural for a chicken to only have a vegitarian diet.

As for the blood, we don't even take it out when we find it, but we aren't religously or otherwise opposed to a little blood.

Ahhh tea the essence of life.
#15 of 22 Old 12-19-2006, 04:55 PM

resseccup - I would definitely agree! I was really only providing the yolk for the red spot info as I was taught by my mom to discard any eggs with any spots in the yolk. *sigh* I hate to think about all the good eggs that were wated!

I prefer our orange yolks - definitely the best!!
#16 of 22 Old 12-19-2006, 05:56 PM

The trader Joes organic eggs are especially yummy right now The yolks are bright /dark orange! I also love the taste of raw milk this time of year.*swoon*

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#17 of 22 Old 12-19-2006, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeseccup View Post
It also drives me nutty when on the carton/package it say "fed natural vegitarin diet". Chickens are omniovaurs, borderline carnivaurs, there is NOTHING natural for a chicken to only have a vegitarian diet.
that whole vegetarian diet thing is dumb, i have seen chickens eat other chickens! their favorite dish is bugs!!

i want the wonderful dark orange/yellow yolks from the free roaming birds who live with other animals (that means lots of different bugs/plants to eat, not just grass and meal), they always have the most depth of flavor. i want them to be thick, so thick they are hard to scramble... oh my, I want eggs now..
#18 of 22 Old 12-19-2006, 06:46 PM

Once DH broke open an egg and it was all bloody inside! YUCK! Like the whole eggwhite was blood.

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
#19 of 22 Old 12-19-2006, 09:49 PM

that's kinda gross.
I don't think I'd eat the egg if it was all red and bloddy inside. I'd be afraid of getting sick from the egg.
#20 of 22 Old 12-20-2006, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedalbj View Post
that whole vegetarian diet thing is dumb, i have seen chickens eat other chickens! their favorite dish is bugs!!
Actually...in the case of conventional eggs that you'd find at your local supermarket seeing that they're vegetarian fed is a good thing. It means that they aren't eating cow/pig/chicken in the form of "wastes" from the industrial slaughterhouse model that have been rendered and added to the feed.

Please note that I'm not advocating getting supermarket eggs in any form, but again a good thing in one of those wierd ways.
#21 of 22 Old 12-20-2006, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilalu View Post
The trader Joes organic eggs are especially yummy right now The yolks are bright /dark orange! I also love the taste of raw milk this time of year.*swoon*
Don't some agri-biz farmers feed the chickens colored food to make sure the yolks are orange? Am I totally making that up?

The eggs I get straight from our local farmers are the orangest I've ever seen.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#22 of 22 Old 12-20-2006, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamered_mom View Post
Actually...in the case of conventional eggs that you'd find at your local supermarket seeing that they're vegetarian fed is a good thing. It means that they aren't eating cow/pig/chicken in the form of "wastes" from the industrial slaughterhouse model that have been rendered and added to the feed.

Please note that I'm not advocating getting supermarket eggs in any form, but again a good thing in one of those wierd ways.

I agree, because I know they'd otherwised be given the "by products" instead of the whole products of meat. I also look for and only buy when my girls aren't laying enough to meet our demands (it's winter and they don't lay so well), "free ranged" on the carton at the store. At least that way I know they've had a better chance at a healthier diet. Cage free doesn't = free ranged, and free ranged tends to mean "living in a chicken tractor"(but not always *sigh*). I wished I had an option of getting it from the farmer down the road, but my understanding here we have to be part of a co-op which I've not had time to search out.

As for buying cage free chicken meat fed only on a vegi diet, I cringe still. It's still a better option than the main store choices, but I can't help being anxious for Spring so I can start raising my own meat birds that aren't frankenchickens and that get a truely natural diet (watch out voles between my chickens and my dog you're not gonna get my garden).

Ahhh tea the essence of life.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page