Menu Planning Coop II - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 06-22-2003, 12:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wanted to let you know that I made the meatloaf tonight. I have never had meatloaf that I liked before, but I always bite when someone says, "That's because you've never had my meatloaf before." I always end up disappointed. I remain open minded about it though and for some reason my pregnant taster thought this sounded different enough to try. I didn't use the Maggi's seasoning, but it turned out soooo good. I used Italian style bread crumbs and just salt and peppered it and sprinkled a little Italian seasoning on the tomato sauce to give it a little color. I am a convert. I will now start eating meatloaf from time to time. Thank you for the recipe.
#32 of 37 Old 06-24-2003, 10:49 AM

I just realized that I'm missing my week to post a menu. Sorry. I'll compose one and post it today. Be back later.
#33 of 37 Old 06-27-2003, 11:25 AM

Sorry for the late entry.

Monday:

Indian Rice

Melt 2T ghee in a lage saucepan and cook 1 chopped and seeded green pepper for 2 min. stirring constantly. Add 4 whole cloves, 4 cardamom pods, 2" stick cinnamon broken into 3 pieces and stir them in. Cook for a few more minutes. Stir in 1 finely chopped large tomato and cook for 5 min. more. Pour in 1 1/4 C uncooked basmati rice (you may use brown but should adjust cooking times.) Season with 2 t salt and 1/4 t ceyenne pepper. Stir to coat rice with sauce. Add 1/2 small eggplant cubed, 2 diced carrots, 1 C cauliflower florets and 3 C water. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and simmer for 20 min. Turn off heat and let rice stand covered for a full 10 min. (do not skip this step.) After letting rice rest, stir in 1 C frozen peas. The heat from the rice will thaw them. You can serve this dish by itself or with a fresh green salad.

Tuesday:

Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie

Soak 1.5 C adzuki beans overnight in plenty of cold water. Drain and put in a large pan with 1.5 C well rinsed green lentils and at least 2X their volume of cold water. Boil hard for 10 min. Reduce heat to simmer and cook covered for 20 min. more (until tender.)
Heat 2 T oil in a large pan. Add 2 grated carrots, 1/4 large red cabbage grated, 1t cumin, 1 t ground cinnamon, 1T fresh thyme, .5 t freshly grated nutmeg. Cook stirring frequently for 5 min. Add 2 diced parsnips, .5 head broccoli cut into florets, 1/4 cauliflower cut into florets, 4T tomato puree and 14oz can crushed tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Cook 5 more min. Add bean/lentil mixture and .5 C applejuice concentrate. The mixture should be soft but not runny.

Topping
Boil: 1 sm, cubed rutabaga, 3 med, cubed potatoes, 1 cubed parsnip until tender. Drain and mash with 1T butter/ghee or margarine and 1-2 T soymilk. Add 1-2 T tahini and about 2 T chopped parsley. Pour lentil mixture into an oiled baking dish and cover with topping mixture. Bake at 375 degrees for 35-40 min until the topping is crunchy and golden. (I usually divide this into two separate casseroles and freeze one and serve the other. It really makes a lot.)
#34 of 37 Old 06-27-2003, 11:52 AM

Wednesday

Homemade chicken noodle soup (or vegetable noodle soup)

Boil 1 whole chicken in plenty of water until tender. Let cool and pull from the bone, reserving stock for the soup. Cut about 4 carrots into disks, 3 celery stalks into small slices and one large onion into dice. Bring to a boil and add small pasta like bowtie or egg noodles. Boil per package instructions then add 2 C frozen peas. Salt heavily, pepper and add about 2 t dried thyme. If you choose to make this vegetarian, you can just make a good vegetable stalk and then add the pasta. When I make it vegetarian I like to add squash and broccoli.

Thursday

Pizza night

Ok, I sort of cheat. I throw my ingredients into the bread machine and leave it until I'm ready to get rolling. Last time we made a crust from quinoa flour that was awsome! I put about 8 oz water, .5 t salt, 2T olive oil, 3 C quinoa flour and 1.5 t yeast in the bread machine on the dough setting (about 1 hr and 20 min.)

Heat oven and pizza stone to 450 degrees (if you don't have a pizza stone it's well worth the investment.)

Instead of tomato base this one uses ballistic (recipe follows)
Top with 1 mango, .5 bell pepper, some onion and some garlic, pineapple and mozz. cheese. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning.

Ballistic (we use this for everything! It is handy to make up to have on hand.)

In food processor or blender put 20 cloves garlic, 1/4-1/3 C lemon juice and 1/4 C (2 oz) grated Parmesian Cheese and salt. Blend and drizzle 1 C olive oil into mixture.

Spread ballistic over crust before topping.
#35 of 37 Old 06-27-2003, 12:21 PM

Friday night

Navy bean and artichoke casserole with goat cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

1. Place 2 slices ww bread in food processor and pulse10X to form 1 C bread crumbs

2. Drain 2 (15 oz) cans navy beans on a colander over a bowl, reserving liquid. Add enough water to liquid to make 1 C. Combine beans with 2 t fresh thyme (or .5 t dried), 2t chopped fresh sage (or .5t dried rubbed sage), 1/4 t black pepper, and 1 clove minced garlic.

3. Heat 1T oil in a large skillet over med-high heat. Add 3 minced garlic cloves, 3 C chopped leeks, 2t fresh rosemary (or .5 t dried), 1/8 t salt and 1 (14 oz) can artichoke bottoms (drained and each cut into 8 wedges.) Sautee 4 min. Stir in bean liquid mixture. Cover, reduce heat, simmer 10 min. Remove from heat. Spread half of bean mixture in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray and top with 3/4 C goat cheese. Spread artichoke mixture over goat cheese and top with remaining goat cheese. Combine the bread crumbs and 1T oil then sprinkle over goat cheese. Bake at 400 degrees for 25 min. Serve with a nice green salad.

Saturday

Cook's night off (there should be plenty of leftovers.)

Sunday

Crockpot Pot Roast

Rinse, salt and pepper roast. Place in crockpot with about 4 C water and one med. onion wedged. Cook on low for about 8 hours. Add potatoes and carrots. Cook for about 4 more hours. Serve with hot rolls and a spinach salad.

Let me know how it goes.
#36 of 37 Old 06-27-2003, 10:45 PM

Glad you enjoyed the meatloaf, Lisa!

I am definitely trying the soup this week - the weather is going to get a little cooler and I have been wanting to try a soup...
#37 of 37 Old 07-01-2003, 10:49 AM

Well, I am totally back off the meat thing. The thought of it repulses me now. I seriously doubt I will be making the pot roast on Sunday so I thought I would post an alternate menu for the vegetarians out there.

Quinoa Broccoli Casserole

Preheat oven to 375
Rinse 1.5 C Quinoa until rinsewater runs clear.
Bring 3 C water to a simmer in a medium saucepan. Stir in quinoa, cover and gently simmer until water is absorbed which should be about 15 minutes.
In a large skillet, heat 1T Olive Oil and add one chopped onion. Saute until golden. Add 2 med crowns chopped broccoli and about 1/4 C water. Cover and steam for about 5 min. Broccoli should be bright green.
In a 2 Quart casserole dish mix quinoa and broccoli mixture with 1 C grated Cheddar Cheese or cheese substitute . Season with salt and pepper and stir well. Sprinkle 1 C Cheddar Cheese or cheese substitute on top and then about 1/4 cup slivered almonds (optional.) Bake until top is golden and crisp, about 20 min. Let it rest for 5 min. before serving.

Serve with Sweet Potato Spears

Peel 1.5 pounds sweet potatoes and cut lengthwise into .5" wedges. Combine 1 T Olive Oil , .5 t salt , .5 t dried thyme , .25 t black pepper , and 1/8 t ground nutmeg with potato wedges. Arange in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray, place in oven on bottom rack. Bake at 450 for 25 min or until tender. Turn once about mid-way through.

and Fresh Corn on the Cob

Husk and clean corn. Trim to desired size. Drop in boiling water for about 5 min. Serve hot with butter or Earth balance butter substitute.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page