Msg - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 12-22-2006, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When I eat MSG, mostly from chinese food, about 20 mins later I'm to the Major Diarrhea. I think MSG ha this effect on a lot of people, that's why it has a bad rep.
#32 of 35 Old 12-22-2006, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamma Mia View Post
I'm happy to read articles that WAPF thinks are neat, I am just wary of WAPF in general. And I'd like to say it's not because I am a vegetarian but because it's ridiculous, but I'm willing to admit that I'm sure it colors my perceptions some. So I'd rather read those articles off the WAPF site.
btdt, but this is incredibly off-topic.

On the subject of MSG - I guess I'm just not convinced that every MSG reaction (my dh's included) is a result of an allergy and not simply the case of a canary in the mineshaft raising an early warning sign that something's up that other individuals who are maybe not as sensitive have not yet been able to detect.

As to why some folks and not others - I guess I find that sort of comparison is probably not a very good one to fall back on. That kind of comparison can be made in favor of a lot of other disputes nutritionally and most often shot down on these boards as invalid.

As to whether studies have been done regarding MSG - a quick search of Google Scholar indicates that there have been several. Your next best bet is probably to head on over there...
#33 of 35 Old 12-22-2006, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

Chicharronita - OT- I have thrived on a vegetarian diet. My health is better, my weight is generally much more stable (although this summer I pretty much ate restaurant food all the way through summer and gained weight of course! ) I haven't had any of the problems other folks have had with vegetarianism. Interestingly enough, a neighbor left me that Eating for Your Type book. I think that's probably quackery as well, but as I read about my blood type, A, it was saying how Type A's do better on a vegetarian diet. So then I'm thinking, man, maybe this is for real. But then I remembered that my DP is not a type A, and thrives as a vegan as well. And I think he's a type O, which is supposed to be the type that needs animal products most. He does heavy labor all day and is really healthy and feels good and energetic.

But there's no way I could go back to eating animal products. It's not mrely an ethical issue. Most of that stuff just doesn't really appeal to me. And I grew up with a very whole food centered diet.

Pamered_mom - I will check that out. Thanks
#34 of 35 Old 12-23-2006, 06:09 PM

:

My whole family has never been healthier. Never had more enegry or better blood results. I had one of the worst pregnancies when it comes to toxemia (ending in an emergency induction) and I was eating meat every day.

Never again.

MSG doesn't bother anyone in my house, so we don't go out of our way to avoid it. Actually there's a Vietnamese restaurant we frequent and we could almost duplicate our fave dish. We've discovered what we were missing was MSG. Adding that makes it bang on - it really makes a difference.
#35 of 35 Old 12-24-2006, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Chicharronita - OT- I have thrived on a vegetarian diet. My health is better, my weight is generally much more stable (although this summer I pretty much ate restaurant food all the way through summer and gained weight of course! )
That's hard to resist sometimes!

Quote:
I haven't had any of the problems other folks have had with vegetarianism. Interestingly enough, a neighbor left me that Eating for Your Type book. I think that's probably quackery as well, but as I read about my blood type, A, it was saying how Type A's do better on a vegetarian diet. So then I'm thinking, man, maybe this is for real. But then I remembered that my DP is not a type A, and thrives as a vegan as well. And I think he's a type O, which is supposed to be the type that needs animal products most. He does heavy labor all day and is really healthy and feels good and energetic.
Yeah, I'm a type A, and obviously don't do well on the type A diet. However, a friend of mine whom I respect says she's practically eliminated her fibromyalgia symptoms with the diet, although even she says that it's only about 70% accurate in most cases.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page