Kitchenaid Stand Mixer or Food Processor?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 12-22-2006, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I told DH I want a Kitchenaid stand-up mixer for Christmas (not that I think he'll actually get it *sigh*), but then I thought, "Maybe I need a food processor..?"

What's the deal? What does each do? I've been a wooden-spoon-mixer and chopping-board-and-sharp-knife-food-processor up until now.

Mainly I want to be able to make bread dough easily, and pie crusts would be nice too. Hummus would be nice. That sort of thing. What else can each do?

THANKS!!
#2 of 21 Old 12-22-2006, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I bake a lot in the winter, and use my stand mixer almost every day. I also find my kitchen aide food processor very useful...but if I had to choose (I was VERY lucky to get them BOTH off of my registry for my wedding!), I am pretty sure that I would choose my mixer, hands down. I can always use a grater or a chopper...there are some dough recipes that work really well in the food processor, yes, but the stand mixer does it really well, too...and makes so much of what I do SOOOOOOO much easier! So. My vote is for the mixer...and the bigger the bowl, the better!

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#3 of 21 Old 12-22-2006, 11:15 PM

get the mixer

we only use our food processor to grate cheese
#4 of 21 Old 12-22-2006, 11:29 PM

I have both a Kitchen Aid stand mixer and a very nice Cuisinart food processor. I rarely use the mixer, but the food processor is used 5+ times a week. I use it for pizza dough, chopping onions and other veggies, slicing potatoes into perfect slices, making hummus, grating cheese, making my own peanut butter and other nut butters and more.

I cook a lot, but rarely bake. If you're more of a baker then the mixer might be more useful to you- it all just depends on how you cook.
#5 of 21 Old 12-23-2006, 03:31 AM

I bake a fair bit so I use my Kitchenaid mixer more than my food processor, however, I could manage to make the same stuff (cakes, cookies, whip cream, etc.) fairly easily without my mixer - but to do the work of the food processor (hummus, pastry dough, bread dough, chopping nuts, grating hard vegetables, crushing cookies for crusts, pesto etc.) would be quite a bit harder. So, I would go for the processor first (even though I might use it less). Also, I don't find my mixer makes good bread dough (but maybe I just haven't figured out how to use it properly for that yet). Good luck
#6 of 21 Old 12-23-2006, 03:46 AM

i got rid of the cuisineart processor and only use the mixer..... I missed the processor for grating cheese so I found an attachment. The mixer has a RVSA slizer/shredder attachment BUT I have heard tha tmost people were disappointed with it. One day I happened upon the kitchenaid forums and found people talking about an old discontinued attachment for the stand mixer that actually uses the same discs as the food processor..... I bought one of those instead and I absolutely love it!

So my vote.... get the mixer and then buy this attachment:
DVSA discontinue slicer/shredder NIB
#7 of 21 Old 12-23-2006, 04:01 AM

I too use my mixer way more than the processor. If you bake the mixer is AWESOME! I love having the processor (have a Cuisinart), don't get me wrong- it's great for when you have a ton of veggies that need to be chopped up, but the blender can be a good stand-in for a lot of what the processor does. but nothing could stand in for the Kitchenaid mixer. I sound like a commercial

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#8 of 21 Old 12-23-2006, 08:46 AM

I think they're two completely different tools. I have both but before I got my mixer, I used my processor for everything. From juicing celeriac to whipping cream. If you bake a lot the mixer is probably better. But from a McGyver perspective, if you can only get one, get the processor.
#9 of 21 Old 12-23-2006, 09:09 AM

i love my mixer- and you can get attachments to grate and slice and shred and whatever..... i LOVE my mixer and i use it more than anything else in the kitchen

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#10 of 21 Old 12-23-2006, 09:20 AM

I'd like to have a stand mixer, but get by with a hand mixer, and really the mixer thing only comes up when I'm wanting to make a large batch of bread which for me is a few-times-a-year thing. Couldn't do without the food processor, though. I think it's more versatile. I use it for soups, some chopping, slicing, and grating, and lots of pastry and doughs.
#11 of 21 Old 12-23-2006, 10:51 AM

As you can see from the various PP, I think it's really a matter of personal preference and your own cooking/baking style. I have both a Kitchenaid stand mixer and a Cuisinart food processor. For me, the food processor is the better bet, hands down. I use that processor at least twice a day, often more. I chop veggies, slice potatoes or mushrooms or a tomato, shred cheese or veggies, make butter ... all in my food processor. I even prefer it for most bread making, though if the batch is really large and sticky, I'll use the Kitchenaid instead, as it can handle a larger, heavier load.

Having said that, I don't have the old DVSA attachments for my Kitchenaid. I do have the RVSA attachments, and they absolutely suck! But perhaps if you purchased the older attachments, the mixer is all you'd really need.
#12 of 21 Old 12-23-2006, 05:44 PM

Oh gosh that's tough. Another happy owner of the Kitchen Aid mixer/Cuisinart Food Processor here. I think I actually use the food processor slightly more, but I'm more sentimentally attached to my mixer. No particular reason, I just really like my mixer.
I also got my mixer first and didn't really realize how much I'd use the food processor until I got it. (I use it to shred cooked chicken which we use all the time in soups, enchiladas, etc., also for stir-fry veggies, shredded cheese, nuts, chocolate.) The mixer for baking, mashed sweet potaoes, squash, and pizza dough.
Happy picking...fun decision!

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#13 of 21 Old 12-24-2006, 05:45 PM

I've been thinking about this some more as I used my mixer today to make cookies and coffee cake. Pick whichever one you have counter space for. My mixer has counter space so I use it alot. I hardly every used it when I didn't have counter space for it. The same with the processor.
#14 of 21 Old 12-26-2006, 04:05 PM

They really are completely different tools, and it depends on your style of cooking etc.

I would personally go for a food processor first, and make do with a small hand mixer (you can get them for pretty cheap).

I do have both though, and I use my Kitchanaid MUCH more than the food processor, but I also bake A LOT. There are some things where the food processor is the only thing that works.

Basically, a food processor os very specific, while the functionality of a stand mixer can be matched with other smaller / cheaper appliances if desired.
#15 of 21 Old 12-26-2006, 04:38 PM

I love my KA mixer and use it all the time. I also have a vita mix I love. But, and maybe I have too many gadgets (although I use all of these things regularly), but I also have a mini prep Cusinart chopper,(just 3 cups) with one setting and one blade. I use that when I am doing small portions & don't want to use the larger Vita Mix.

If I had to choose between KA or FP, I would choose the KA.
#16 of 21 Old 12-26-2006, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaknit View Post
I told DH I want a Kitchenaid stand-up mixer for Christmas (not that I think he'll actually get it *sigh*), but then I thought, "Maybe I need a food processor..?"

What's the deal? What does each do? I've been a wooden-spoon-mixer and chopping-board-and-sharp-knife-food-processor up until now.

Mainly I want to be able to make bread dough easily, and pie crusts would be nice too. Hummus would be nice. That sort of thing. What else can each do?

THANKS!!
What do you intend on using it for? My hubby got a processor for me for xmas. I've already used it to make baby food chop a salad, and the ingredients for dinner. I love the kitcenaide prodects but they are BIG. My processor now has a place on the counter and takes up very little space.
#17 of 21 Old 12-26-2006, 10:49 PM

you know I forgot all about the attatchements for the mixer.

If I could do it all over again, I would just get the attatchments for the mixer and not the FP at all.

ALso, we dont have a dishwasher, just me and I LOATHE cleaning the food processor! But then again, all we use it for is cheese and that is a pain to clean up after by hand!
#18 of 21 Old 12-27-2006, 01:03 AM

I bake a lot as well and LOVE my kitchenaid mixer. Plus, it's so pretty and cheery sitting on my counter - I have the red one.
#19 of 21 Old 12-27-2006, 12:30 PM

I have too many appliances (toys), DH loves to buy me that stuff for Christmas, they are all kitchenaid, powerful, large capacity.... Food processor w/ slicer attachments, stand mixer, immersion blender, hand mixer, food chopper (pampered chef). I have a cheap blender which I am sure he will replace next christmas. The blender has a little food processor attachment which is very useful. Oh, they don't plug in, but the microplane graters are excellent for cheese, etc.

Out of all those, I use the food processor the least (it is up on a high shelf and I am waiting to see how long it goes w/o use). I can knead bread, mash potatoes, blend soups, slice vegs, mix drinks, chop onions, all that w/ the other stuff I have. I can make pesto etc w/ the little blender attachment.

I guess I am saying that maybe instead of getting one large (heavy and hard to store) appliance, maybe you could get a few (nice) smaller ones. They are easier to store, don't take up counter space (and I feel easier to clean, I hate cleaning the food processor) and you may end up spending the same amount of money. If you make bread, you may have to choose one or the other, but sometimes the multi use piece may not be the right choice esp if you are low on counter space.

BTW, I notice most people here have the cuisinart food processor, I have the KA and I don't like the way the disks work (never used the cuisinart, so can't compare) but there is always small chunks stuck on top of the disk that don't make it thru the shredder/slicer disks.
#20 of 21 Old 12-27-2006, 12:40 PM

I got both for Christmas! I don't really bake (maybe I will now), but I thought the stand mixer was pretty then my parents gave me their old food processor because my dad is buying a new one for their new house. I have been collecting every appliance ever since I got married. Unfortunately, I don't get to play with them until my parents move and I can take over this house lol Hopefully, that will be less than a month, so I can really cook up a storm.

Aimee
x2 11-07 and 12-09
#21 of 21 Old 12-27-2006, 11:05 PM

I got a KA for Christmas and am loving it. I haven't used my food processor in years. I have a good hand chopper that we use. I hated the hand mixer, so I am loving the mixer

tara

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page