Slow Cookers and Lead? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 51 Old 12-27-2006, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I stumbled upon this old thread & have found that (as far as I can tell) West Bend, Hamilton Beach & GE are free of lead & cadmium. Rival is suspicious as it doesn't say that it's products are lead free. I emailed Farberware & Rival & am awaiting a response.

I am SO tired of researching the perfect slow cooker! I found a review on Amazon on a Farberware FSSC500 5Qt & a customer listed the actual temps & the reviews said that it was a "true slow cooker" & didn't burn food on a high temp. ***UPDATE*** I posted a response from Farberware/Salton in post # 15, sounds like they have lead. :

So, who knows what about lead & slow cookers?

ETA, I think I like this Hamilton Beach Stay or Go better! Hamilton Beach says on their site that their slow cookers are lead & cadmium free.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#2 of 51 Old 12-28-2006, 02:02 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hope you find out for us, I have a Rival 5qt
subbing....
#3 of 51 Old 12-28-2006, 02:13 AM

: I was looking all over for info a while back too, finally gave up.
#4 of 51 Old 12-28-2006, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

I emailed Rival, here is my question followed by their roundabout response:
Quote:
Originally Posted by me
Do your crock pot inserts contain lead or cadmium?
Quote:
Originally Posted by crockpot.com
I have just received your email and would like to thank you for writing. the liner is made of ceramic and The glaze is made of silica flour, clay, feldspar, something called “frit”, and a few minerals. These are ground up mixed, in specific quantities, with water. The resulting slurry is sprayed onto the pot (or the pot is dipped in it) and it is fired in the kiln at or around 1200-1600 degrees. It all melts together on the outside of the pot and basically turns into a type of glass. The FDA specifies allowable amounts of lead, cadmium and other substances. All of the glazes that we use meet or exceed FDA requirements.
Sounds like a reluctant "yes" to me.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#5 of 51 Old 12-28-2006, 12:18 PM

Yup, that sure sounds to me like they've got lead in them or they would have given you a straight 'no'...
: Damn, I've got a rival crockpot:
#6 of 51 Old 12-28-2006, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
that totally sounds like a yes to me. "few minerals" could totally be lead. shoot. I have a Rival crockpot and really like it. I had never thought about how it could contain lead.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#7 of 51 Old 12-28-2006, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Sell it on Craig's List or Freecycle it, I've got my eye on the Hamilton Beach mentioned in the opening post - it's $29.99 at Target, not bad.....for peace of mind.

#8 of 51 Old 12-29-2006, 03:19 AM

Rival crock pots are made in China - says so on the shipping box.

If the stuff turns into "glass" though, at such high temps....I wonder if it can get out? Glass doesn't leach anything. And the crock pot isn't gonna reach 1200º...
#9 of 51 Old 12-29-2006, 03:25 AM

Well, I least I haven't used my Rival. thanks for posting it!

I guess I'll give it away. :

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
#10 of 51 Old 12-29-2006, 02:33 PM

Blah yet another gadget I need for my kitchen now...a new slow cooker- yipes!

Happily married to DH for 6 years, in process to foster-adopt 3 children DD4, DS3 and DS2. We may be bringing half brother age 9 one day as well! We are not infertile, we just have decided that since there are precious children who need homes there is no need for us to have biological children.

#11 of 51 Old 12-29-2006, 02:40 PM

They sell lead testers. Just buy one and see if your crockpot has and detectible amounts.
#12 of 51 Old 12-29-2006, 04:37 PM

We love our crockpot! Yet another thing to worry about and research... What the poster said about them not reaching 1,200 degrees does make sense that it could be safe, though.
#13 of 51 Old 12-29-2006, 04:42 PM

[QUOTE=Metasequoia;6848691

<snip>

Hamilton Beach says on their site that their slow cookers are lead & cadmium free.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't they technically write lead-free if it simply meets the standards? Same way foods can be listed as no trans-fats if the serving size listed doesn't exceed a certain level, but eating several servings (which most people do with snacks) would exceed the limits which would require listing trans-fats, KWIM?
#14 of 51 Old 12-29-2006, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

I don't know, I did send an email to Hamilton Beach, I'll see what they have to say.

As far as testing your crock pot yourself:

Quote:
Testing Dishes for Lead

You may want to test your dishes to see if they leach lead. Home test kits can tell you if there is lead that can leach from the dishes. These tests do not tell you the exact AMOUNT of lead. They are most useful in detecting high levels of lead. In many cases, they are not sensitive enough to tell whether the dishes meet Proposition 65 standards.
-Source

Quote:
Enamel-coated iron and steel is colorful, stain and scratch resistant and does not pick up food odors. It does not contain lead, except in some glazes for slow-cooking pots (crock-pots). However, the amount of lead leached into food from these pots does not exceed FDA standards.
-Source

From what I've read, you should test the food that is cooked in the lead-containing cookware. I guess if you're comfortable with the possibility that the food being made in the lead-containing cookware *could* have lead in it, even an amount that the FDA allows, that's everyone's personal decision. If I were to use my slow cooker 3-4 times a week as I intend to, personally I'd feel safer knowing that it didn't have any amount of lead in the glaze.

I'm really not one to trust the FDA! They tell us irradiated foods are safe, synthetic growth hormone, antibiotic residue, growth inhibitor, etc, etc.

General info on lead in tableware.
Regulation of lead in tableware.

#15 of 51 Old 01-17-2007, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

I *finally* got a response from Farberware/Salton after at least a month...

Quote:
Originally Posted by farberware-electric@saltonusa.com
Thank you for your email regarding our slow cookers. We do not have the information you have requested. Sorry for the inconvenience but these are made over seas and we don not know if the liners contain lead or cadmium.

Sincerely,

Wanda
Consumer Relations
Nice, huh? Me thinks that's another "yes."

#16 of 51 Old 01-17-2007, 01:47 PM

http://www.dmaonline.org/fppublic/connect56.html
Crock Pots
Are there any hazards associated with crock pot cookery? At one time lead and cadmium were a concern in ceramic ware. Following a foodborne illness outbreak (lead poisoning) affecting a California family in 1971, the FDA tightened restrictions on these dangerous minerals, which were cropping up in ceramics imported from other countries. The minerals were in the pigments used in glazes. By all reports, this is not a concern today due to FDA control.
#17 of 51 Old 01-17-2007, 02:22 PM

I have a Rival, darnit.

Other Rival owners - are you planning on giving yours away, or are you going to keep using it anyway?

So far, I'll keep using it anyway. I'll keep my eye out at my local thrift store though for a new one.

I'm a little nervous because I primarily do tomato-based stews, and the acid from the tomato might leach the lead out.

Aven
#18 of 51 Old 01-17-2007, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post
I *finally* got a response from Farberware/Salton after at least a month...

Nice, huh? Me thinks that's another "yes."
Thanks for updating with their response!

Wow, I can't believe that copout of a return letter. They can't even provide vital safety information for their product because it's made overseas? That seems really unprofessional. :

I wonder how many other products are made overseas unsafely because they have no idea about the conditions under which they're made?
#19 of 51 Old 01-17-2007, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwebbal View Post
http://www.dmaonline.org/fppublic/connect56.html
Crock Pots
Are there any hazards associated with crock pot cookery? At one time lead and cadmium were a concern in ceramic ware. Following a foodborne illness outbreak (lead poisoning) affecting a California family in 1971, the FDA tightened restrictions on these dangerous minerals, which were cropping up in ceramics imported from other countries. The minerals were in the pigments used in glazes. By all reports, this is not a concern today due to FDA control.
See post # 14, I linked a few sources regarding lead in dishes & crock pots, yes, almost all ceramic dinnerware contains lead, the FDA allows a certain amount. I know that Macy's sells "Fiestaware" which is lead free (dishes/bowls/cups.)

As for slow cookers, if I know that certain brands contain lead, even "allowable amounts," and I'm going to be *cooking food* in them for my family, I'll absolutely buy the brand that doesn not have lead, yk? That Hamilton Beech slow cooker is about $30, IMO worth every cent.

#20 of 51 Old 01-19-2007, 09:19 PM

but if I remember right, when I was researching crockpots, the Hamilton Beach one's had non-stick (I assume teflon or something equally unappetizing) inserts. So which is worse - the chemicals used to make the liners non-stick or the lead??

WHY CAN'T WE BUY SAFE STUFF FOR OUR FAMILIES???!!!

Mona
#21 of 51 Old 01-26-2007, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avendesora View Post
I have a Rival, darnit.

Other Rival owners - are you planning on giving yours away, or are you going to keep using it anyway?

So far, I'll keep using it anyway. I'll keep my eye out at my local thrift store though for a new one.

I'm a little nervous because I primarily do tomato-based stews, and the acid from the tomato might leach the lead out.

Aven
I stopped using mine and am looking for another (which is annoying since I'm trying to come as close as I comfortably can to compacting!) Now I'm nervous about older models, regardless of the brand. And I'm very much regretting all the use my rival did get!

Jude

Jude
#22 of 51 Old 03-12-2007, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davmon View Post
but if I remember right, when I was researching crockpots, the Hamilton Beach one's had non-stick (I assume teflon or something equally unappetizing) inserts. So which is worse - the chemicals used to make the liners non-stick or the lead??

WHY CAN'T WE BUY SAFE STUFF FOR OUR FAMILIES???!!!

Mona
I'm trying to find a new slow cooker (the PLASTIC lid on my Rival broke today....yay! ) and in my research it is West Bend that has the nonstick interiors, not Hamilton Beach.

ETA: I think I found the one I'm going to buy. It only has 1 Amazon review so if I do get it I'll be sure to let you all know how I like it.
http://www.hamiltonbeach.com/cgi-bin...0/prrfnbr/1014 and the Amazon linkadoo

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#23 of 51 Old 03-13-2007, 03:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Wow, this thread has got me sick to my stomach. I'm so sad right now. I have a Rival, and I love it. Well, I used to love it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudswinger View Post
They sell lead testers. Just buy one and see if your crockpot has and detectible amounts.
Where do you get lead testers? I've been wondering about this, because I received some pots and pans on FC that are "old" (not really sure how old), and I want to test them too.

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
#24 of 51 Old 03-13-2007, 10:27 PM

I heard you can get lead testers at hardware stores, but I havn't looked yet.

::
#25 of 51 Old 03-14-2007, 03:00 PM

OH COME ON!!!!!!!! I have three Rival crockpots. A large that came with a mini, given to me by DH, and a middle sized one given to me by my MIL (read as, none of the above researched by me). We don't have a stove or an oven in our new house yet, so I cook almost exclusively with them. In fact, I was only here to look up the crockpot recipe I was planning on using for dinner. So basically my babies, who already have major toxicity issues, have been eating meals everyday that may or may not be slowly poisoning them with lead. Fan-freakin-tastic. What the hell is wrong with the world??? Why is there nothing left anywhere that is safe???? Seriously, I'm in tears here. I have about 6 million things that our family *needs* to buy including things like car seats and clothes. And now I have to shell out more money for something that I already thought was taken care of? I'm not a happy mama right now.
#26 of 51 Old 03-15-2007, 12:51 AM

I'm sorry Autumn Melody It totally sucks doesn't it! I am afraid to use my crock pot anymore. My stove caught on fire a while back and I know how hard it is to live without one. As for your carseats, I got an ad in the mail from Big Lots today and they have some, if there is a Big Lots near you. They are still expensive, but maybe cheaper then they'd be somewhere else.

::
#27 of 51 Old 03-15-2007, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

I bought the Hamilton Beach Stay/Go, nothing non-stick about it. I love how the lid clamps down! (And, look at all of the customer reviews!)

#28 of 51 Old 03-15-2007, 03:24 PM
AJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post
I bought the Hamilton Beach Stay/Go, nothing non-stick about it. I love how the lid clamps down! (And, look at all of the customer reviews!)
Cool. It's 6 quarts? The specs don't say what capacity, but one of the reviews I read said 6 quarts.

There is no secret ingredient.
#29 of 51 Old 03-21-2007, 02:06 PM

what about the Morphy Richards? i live in spain and they dont exist here so i´m looking to buy one (help provided by a great momma here!!) but they only have rivals and Morphy Richards in amazon.uk. do you know about this one?
#30 of 51 Old 03-23-2007, 04:18 PM

well, i wrote to the company and the wrote back. apparently, there is no use of lead. did i understand it right? here is their answer:

Dear Carla

Thank you for your enquiry

I am advised that there is no lead used in the production of the 48710 slow cooker.

I hope this information is of assistance.

Yours sincerely

Linda Tate
Administration Manager

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page