Vitamin B supplement help please!!!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 01-03-2007, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wasn't sure if this was supposed to go in Nutrition and Good Eating or Health and Healing.

I would like to buy a B supplement with everything, including folic acid 400 mcgs.

What do you do use to get your B? Do you have any good recommendations for me? :

TIA!

-Afton
#2 of 13 Old 01-03-2007, 07:17 PM

I would just say find a brand that you trust and get their B supp. Or get a good multi and include in your diet Brewer's Yeast and spinach and such for the Bs and Folic.
#3 of 13 Old 01-03-2007, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

I am trying to eat good foods, but I also want a B supplement to go along with that.

I've never taken anything before, so I don't have a brand that I trust.

Any brand recommendations? Please?
#4 of 13 Old 01-03-2007, 09:57 PM

Well, unfortunately it can get touchy when it comes to recommending a vitamin. I would suggest going to the HFS and asking the person working (but only if they seem moderately knowledgeable, that can be hit or miss) what they think of the brands they carry. Major brands are probably 'safer' but may not be as pure and/or effective. But lesser-known are a risk too, since there is no regulation (and thus no security). Does that make sense?

But, usually you can find TwinLab, SolarRay, Rainbow Light and such at most HFS. I think if they offer a B supp you'd be fine.

ETA: I dont supp with B - sorry it isnt more helpful!
#5 of 13 Old 01-04-2007, 12:24 AM

My naturopathic doctor once told me that when you are not sure what brand of vitamin/supplement to get, just pick one that is in powdered form or liquid in the case of cod liver oil, vitamin E, or fish oil, etc. Next to that are capsules. Look for stuff with the least additives. You want to avoid tablets since they contain a lot of junk as binders to make the tablet shape. With capsules, try to look for least ingredients.

I've been told that Solgar is generally a good brand, and that's my fall-back brand when I can't find a leader for the vitamin or supplement I want to buy. I've also gotten Nature's Way stuff, and it is decent. I currently buy the Solgar B complex in capsule form. I order it online as it is much cheaper and many places offer free shipping if you buy over $50 or $99. I don't currently take B complex as I eat a lot of fermented foods, but DH takes B daily.
#6 of 13 Old 01-04-2007, 12:31 AM

I like Jarrow brand "B-Right" because this one one of the few B vitamins that dosesnt make me sick. I think its because they use certain types of Bs (like Methlocbalamin and Pyridoxal) that is better absorbed. Of course its more expensive than your run of the mill brands.

I normally get nauseated taking B vitamins from most more generic brands like Trader Joes and Whole Foods.
#7 of 13 Old 01-04-2007, 12:58 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by saratc View Post
My naturopathic doctor once told me that when you are not sure what brand of vitamin/supplement to get, just pick one that is in powdered form or liquid in the case of cod liver oil, vitamin E, or fish oil, etc. Next to that are capsules. Look for stuff with the least additives. You want to avoid tablets since they contain a lot of junk as binders to make the tablet shape. With capsules, try to look for least ingredients.
That's good advice. However, is it just me, or are supplements becoming more and more full of additives and/or other ingredients not on the label? For instance, I went to the HFS to get some magnesium citrate. I can't remember what brand I picked up, but luckily I looked at the ingredients, because it contained magnesium oxide (which gives me the runs even in small quantities)! I almost never go by the label because of shenanigans like these.

As for B-vitamins specifically, I know that certain forms are superior to others—for instance isn't the Methylcobalamin form of B12 better than the Cyanocobalamin one? Even so, most of the supplements contain the latter.

#8 of 13 Old 01-04-2007, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicharronita View Post
As for B-vitamins specifically, I know that certain forms are superior to others—for instance isn't the Methylcobalamin form of B12 better than the Cyanocobalamin one? Even so, most of the supplements contain the latter.
Yes! Unfortunately, there are things like this to look out for in every type of vitamin or supplement. Vitamin E is another good example where the natural forms is far superior to the synthetic forms. Many fat soluble vitamins are toxic in high dosages in the synthetic forms but not in the natural forms.

An interesting note about B12 is that in most oral forms, it is not readily absorbed by the body. I once read a study that showed that not even a small percentage is absorbed by the body when taken orally in tablet or capsule form. B12 is hard to supplement. It is most effectively created in the gut through eating animal products like meat and dairy. But so many things such as allergies or poor digestion can interfere with the body's creation of B12. Since most oral supplements don't work, doctors tend to recommend shots for B12 deficient patients. If you must supplement orally, it is recommended that you buy a B12 tablet and chew it (yuk!) or buy a sublingual form (the kind that you put under your tongue and let melt slowly) since those have the best results in terms of absorption. In addition to the B complex, I stock chewable B12 that DH takes daily, and I take when I feel carpal tunnel coming on.
#9 of 13 Old 01-04-2007, 01:11 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Wow, that's interesting! I have read that people who don't eat foods with B12 have trouble getting it through supplements, but I had no idea it was this bad. Someone on another thread (wish I could remember who it was) just said that your gut health is 60 or 70% of your immunity.

I wonder how bioavailable the B vitamins are in nutritional yeast?

#10 of 13 Old 01-04-2007, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I take Now brand, I've always liked their products.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#11 of 13 Old 01-04-2007, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratc View Post
Yes! Unfortunately, there are things like this to look out for in every type of vitamin or supplement. Vitamin E is another good example where the natural forms is far superior to the synthetic forms. Many fat soluble vitamins are toxic in high dosages in the synthetic forms but not in the natural forms.

Could that be why I get nauseated taking B Vitamins that dosnt uses synthetic forms (as stated in my previous post)?
#12 of 13 Old 01-04-2007, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicharronita View Post
Someone on another thread (wish I could remember who it was) just said that your gut health is 60 or 70% of your immunity.

I wonder how bioavailable the B vitamins are in nutritional yeast?
I just wrote that in the probiotic thread yesterday, so I'll assume you meant me. I learned a lot about gut health/immunity (and, ironically, B12) researching my son's autism. Here's a couple links that are interesting:

http://www.i-c-m.org.uk/journal/2004/nov/a01.htm

http://www.doctoryourself.com/nasal.html

(more than half-way down is a long list of info on supps)
http://www.danasview.net/parent3.htm#supplements
#13 of 13 Old 01-20-2007, 01:00 AM

check out the B vitamin challenge thread.

I have been taking Dessicated Liver and I can really tell a difference in my energy level when I take them

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page