How can I make this recipe healthier? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-11-2007, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is one of Owen's favorite recipes. I'd like to try and make it a bit healthier, since he eats so much of it :

Banana Bread

1 1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. butter
2 eggs
1 1/2 c. bananas
1/2 c. milk
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 c. all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt

Owen has autism and knows whenever I change a recipe so I have to do this slowly. With the 2 loaves I made tonight I used 1 1/2 c. all purpose flour (which is what I, and my family, always cooked with) and 1 c. whole wheat graham flour. To my surprise he's actually eating it! I hope to slowly convert to all/most wheat flour but it will be a slow process so he doesn't catch me Is there any way to make it healthier or is this as healthy has it gets?

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 01-11-2007, 01:56 AM

Try it with only one cup of sugar.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#3 of 10 Old 01-11-2007, 02:06 AM

I'd try using whole wheat pastry flour and subbing the sugar with some honey or maple syrup.
#4 of 10 Old 01-11-2007, 02:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mz_libbie22 View Post
I'd try using whole wheat pastry flour and subbing the sugar with some honey or maple syrup.
How much honey/maple syrup would I use? Thanks!

ledzepplon- thanks! Wish I had thought of that with the loaves I made today :

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#5 of 10 Old 01-11-2007, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephandOwen View Post
How much honey/maple syrup would I use? Thanks!

I'd use the 1 1/2 cups that the recipe calls for at first and then you can experiment with lessoning it. Keep in mind though that unlike white sugar both honey and maple syrup have a distinct flavor to them and you'll be able to taste it in the bread. If you want to prevent that, using the honey and maple together can keep one flavor from standing out, so you'd use 3/4 c honey, 3/4 c maple syrup. (and there are other "natural" sweeteners out there that you might be interested in trying as well)

Then you'll need to reduce the milk by 1/4 of a cup since you're using a wet vs. dry sweetener.

Another idea might be to add more bananas, that would add natural sweetness without adding a different flavor. I have a recipe somewhere for "Banana banana bread" that uses twice the amount of bananas as regular recipes, I haven't tried it yet though.
#6 of 10 Old 01-11-2007, 03:13 AM

Modified Banana Bread

1/2 c. apple sauce blended with 1 cup dates
2 Tbsp flax seed blended with 6 Tbsp water
1 1/2 c. bananas
1/4 c. rice/soy/nut milk or yoghurt
1 Tbsp vanilla
2 1/2 c. whole wheat flour or any other combination of flours (I like a blend of ww flour + oat bran + oat flakes blended in a blender until "flour" consistancy)
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp salt

(optional: cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamon, roasted chopped nuts, hempseeds, chopped apples, unthawed frozen blueberries, chopped dates, chopped dried fruits, unsulphered molasses)

This recipe will yeild a dense and moist loaf. I bake mine in a glass pan to prevent premature burning. Reduce the cooking temp by 25deg & increase the cooking time (it may take much longer, nearly 45 minutes longer to bake, but check it every 15 minutes past your normal cooking time to be sure)

xo

Wife to my of 10 years, SAHM to my 2 beautiful homebirthed girls Sydney (4/29/2006) Kennedy (3/21/2010) & 1 super Newfoundland
#7 of 10 Old 01-11-2007, 03:22 AM

I've been successful replacing oil/butter with applesauce for pumpkin bread, but I've never tried it with banana bread. Maybe you could mix in a tablespoon full of a few different types of flour, kind of like the Cornell formula but gradually? I think you might find that replacing honey for sugar in the same amt will be really sweet though. Isn't the conversion 3/4C honey=1C sugar or something? I've also used brown rice syrup in quickbreads and I couldn't tell the difference.

DS 4/2002 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif
DD 3/2009 toddler.gif
#8 of 10 Old 01-11-2007, 12:57 PM

1 1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. butter
2 eggs
1 1/2 c. bananas
1/2 c. milk
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 c. all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt

You could also sub coconut oil for the butter for some different nutrition. Butter is certainly not bad but CO has some good things that are hard to find in other foods. Or use 1/2 butter and 1/2 CO.
I would use 1/2C honey and 1/2C maple or even sucanat.

mama to 4 boys, 2 kitties and 42 chickens
#9 of 10 Old 01-11-2007, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I disagree with trying to remove the oil from a bread eaten by a small child. I don't consider that to be "healthier" for a growing child. I would try to cut back on the sugar and/or substitute evaporated cane juice. I also agree with the suggestion to use whole wheat pastry flour (also called white whole wheat flour) because it has all the whole grain nutrition but the texture is closer to that of white flour. I would also use organic butter- it's higher in fatty acids than the commercial stuff but tastes exactly the same in baking.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
#10 of 10 Old 01-11-2007, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephandOwen View Post
How much honey/maple syrup would I use?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mz_libbie22 View Post
I'd use the 1 1/2 cups that the recipe calls for at first and then you can experiment with lessoning it.
I think honey is actually twice as sweet as sugar, so if I were you, I would use 3/4 cup of honey--at the most! I like things not too sweet, so I would probably only use 1/4-1/2 cup of honey. But if you want the same sweetness that the sugar provides, use 3/4 cup of honey.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page