raw milk - is it safe? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-14-2007, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got a gallon of raw milk just to test it out - DS hates milk and won't drink it...and he DRANK it all gone in a week and was sad that it was gone - my SIL is a dietician and she said it's healthy BUT there are more risks than benifits...so is it safe? what are the risks? the benefits? and what happens if it get pasturized? it's not raw anymore, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 01-14-2007, 12:43 PM

I you want a completely biased account check out www.westonaprice.org and www.realmilk.com

There you will find many accounts of how the opposite it true. That raw milk isn't any riskier than any other food (in fact, the regulations in procuring raw milk are so strict that it is cleaner in most cases), including pasteurized milk. I think that the beneficial qualities of raw milk FAR outway the risk (I mean, you don't have dieticians telling you to avoid uncooked spinach altogether and passing laws making it illegal, yet, we all have seen that even it isn't without risk, and is actually a higher risk).

Plus, imo, if pasteurized milk does have benefits, it doesn't matter if ds won't drink it, yk? The fact that he will drink the raw definitely ups the anty in favor of benefits outweighing risks, imo.

If you can find low heat pasteurized, non-homogonized milk (often called creamline), that is a decent alternative, but I don't think we would drink milk if the standard ultra-heat pasteurized, homogonized milk were our only option. To me, the risks of IT outweigh the benefits!
#3 of 4 Old 01-14-2007, 12:46 PM

It depends on what risks are more worrisome to you. And personally- I wouldn't drink raw milk from just anyone either, I would like to see how they run things and take a look in their barn. I do use raw goat's milk (I don't drink milk of any kind, just use it for cereal and cooking/baking) when my mom has a milking doe and it's really good milk. My mom doesn't keep any bucks around so you don't get that stinky flavor that goat's milk is reputed for.

My 6yo dd actually drinks little milk during the part of the year that my mom doesn't have fresh raw goat's milk for us. She will sometimes drink a local organic, non-homogenized, low-heat pasteurized cow's milk but we can't really afford it right now as it's over $3/quart now. She'll drink Organic Valley sometimes but doesn't like Horizon or commercial milk at all.

Your ds may be like my dd and just turn out to looooove raw milk.
#4 of 4 Old 01-14-2007, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

so what is BAD about milk?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page