Mothering Forum banner

Let's talk healthy, simple breakfast ideas.

648 views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  quaz 
#1 ·
I'm trying to shape up what we eat around here. There is me, dh, a 4 and ~3 year old and a baby (so I'm nursing and trying to avoid any possible bfing triggers at the moment) .

I'd like to start with baby steps, and I figure breakfast is a good place to start.

What are some simple, healthy breakfast ideas?

The girls right now like: frozen waffles, cereal/milk, flavored yogurt, flavored yogurt drinks.

So.. pretty much high carbs, lack of protein. Not the healthiest.

I do make whole grain oatmeal in my rice cooker on occasion. YUM!!! The girls will eat that, although I do top theirs with a little bit of colored cookie sprinkles.

So, ideas??
Tammy

#4 ·
yogurt w/ wheat germ and/or flax seed
low fat banana muffins w/ cream cheese
ww bagels w/ cheddar cheese
scrambled eggs, toad-in-the-holes, omelettes, quiche,
ww french toast or waffles (make your own and freeze-much healthier than premade frozen)
steel cut oatmeal w/ molasses

Also- we do not have meal specific foods in our house so often breakfast can include these too...

leftover pizza (ww crust, cheese and veggies all good!)
leftover pasta (spaghetti and meatballs, veggie lasagna, stuffed shells, etc)
meatloaf, cheeseburgers, leftover chicken, egg salad sandwich
What ever we are hungry for!

#5 ·
Mmmmm, I'm getting hungry! WW french toast is so good - I don't know why I forget it is an option! I'm having some tomorrow

We usually have...
steel cut oats with fruit, nuts, maple syrup
scrambled eggs with Kerrygold cheese (cheddar or Dubliner) and WW toast
plain yogurt with homemade granola (a big batch will last a week or so)
baked oatmeal - make on weekend and then have leftovers for a couple days
ww toast with almond butter , fruit
soft boiled eggs on ww toast
on the weekends we usually have waffles or something more time intensive

sometimes I add some chicken apple sausage or turkey bacon if I have the time and am hungry enough

#6 ·
Each of my kids goes to a different school (high school, middle school and elementary), starting at a different time so I actually make breakfast 3 times each day. My guys act as if you're killing them if you put a bowl of cereal in front of them so that is not an option. Most days it's either bagels with cream cheese and fruit, omelets, or smoothies. I personally love a smoothie to start the day - generally some low-fat vanilla yogurt thrown in the blender with various frozen fruits (strawberries, blackberries, bananas, mango) and a little soy milk. My new favorite is chocolate soy milk mixed with an equal amount of frozen strawberries - yum!

#8 ·
breakfast pizza/calzones is my fav
they require some prep work but it's sooo worth it. to cut down on time in the morning you can make the dough ahead of time and keep it in the fridge till you're ready, same with some of the ingredients. or you could make it ahead of time and just reheat in the morning.

#10 ·
There's a great thread on here from about 2 months ago or so about baked oatmeal. I'm NAK or I'd look it up for you. I've been making it w/ frozen blueberries almost weekly. I like the stuff you can make on a Sunday and then eat all week long. Less cleanup and mess every morning to cook one big batch up and eat it all week.

I also like strata or quiche for that reason.

#11 ·
some easy breakfast faves:

toast (esp rye) with sliced tomato & an egg & maybe veg sausage
cheese cubes, cut apple, almonds
yogurt & fruit (great w/ a croissant too for special occaisons)
mini bagels w/ cream cheese & tomato slices
oatmeal with cubed apple, raisins, cinnamon
fried egg & cheese slice on toast

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.