Celtic Sea Salt and Iodine - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-27-2007, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Now that I am using Celtic sea salt, what about my iodine intake? How do I make sure that I get enough?

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

#2 of 10 Old 01-27-2007, 01:03 AM

I've wondered the same thing. The only thing I've thought of so far is to throw some seaweed into the vegetable broth I make (which means I need to make and consume it more often than I do now).
#3 of 10 Old 01-27-2007, 10:56 AM

yea, you could use more seaweed... i've found powderized kelp at my co-op which is easy to sprinkle into things.

chicken3.gif mama knit.gif to 3 farmboys (9 reading.gif, 6 blahblah.gif & 3 notes2.gif ) and 1 farmgirl (baby.gif)
#4 of 10 Old 01-27-2007, 11:01 AM

most of our foods in the US have iodine added- not just to salt. We never used iodized salt.
If you eat meat, shrimp and lobster are very high in iodine, as are sea veggies like someone else mentioned.
#5 of 10 Old 01-27-2007, 11:05 AM

You can also purchase detoxified Iodine and add it to your food. It's tasteless to me.

www.iodinesource.com
#6 of 10 Old 01-27-2007, 11:14 PM

I use a sprinkle of kelp and also add some to my soups/broths.
#7 of 10 Old 01-27-2007, 11:59 PM

I adore arame (sea veggie). It's very mild, and makes a gorgeous addition to any soup or salad!!

I also keep Lugol's on hand for the neti pot, throat gargle, and occasionally consuming in water.

ConcenTrace is good too.
#8 of 10 Old 01-28-2007, 03:33 AM

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but if I remember correctly the point of using salts like Celtic Sea Salt and Real Salt is that with the trace minerals still intact you get the naturally occuring iodine vs the artificially iodized and overly processed white table salt.

See here for more nutritional information regarding Celtic Sea Salt. Another site I found talking about the difference between salts is at www.deliciousorganics.com/Controversies/salt.htm

That's not of course to discourage you from consuming seafood or sea vegetables, but you are still getting idoine from your salt.
#9 of 10 Old 01-28-2007, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmmm, I don't eat sea veggies or sea food at the moment. I can't forsee adding them to my diet either. I read on my Sea Salt packaging that there isn't any added iodine but it didn't state whether or not there is any present naturally. Is iodine just naturally occuring in meat? I eat "organic" meats most nights during the week.

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

#10 of 10 Old 01-29-2007, 02:07 AM

The only way that you'll know if you're getting enough iodine is to get a blood test. It should be noted that the symptoms of too much iodine and too little iodine in your diet are the same.

Other dietary sources:

Quote:
Plant and animal sea life, such as shellfish, white deep-water fish, and brown seaweed kelp, absorb iodine from the water and are great sources of iodine. Garlic, lima beans, sesame seeds, soybeans, spinach, Swiss chard, summer squash, and turnip greens are also good sources of this mineral. :snip:

There are foods that prevent the body from using iodine such as turnip, cabbage, mustard greens, cassava root, soybeans, peanuts, pinenuts and millet. These foods are called goitrogens and excessive consumption can cause goiters.
You can also find additional sources in this publication geared towards folks who are to consume low-iodine diets:

Quote:
Dairy products are high in iodine because of processing and cleaning
agents. Some breads are made with iodate dough conditioners. Meat, poultry, and eggs contain varying amounts of iodine due to feeds and natural plant foods, and the possible use of iodine-containing drugs and cleansers.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page