hot quinoa cereal?! Maybe quinoa salad recipes, too? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-04-2007, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there

I have a bag of quinoa in my pantry that is about to expire at the end of the month. As DH and DD won´t eat it and I do not want to throw it away either I have to come up with some other creative ways to eat it.
One idea I had was to make a hot cereal like oatmeal...Is that possible? And how does is taste?
How long for does cook quinoa keep fresh in the fridge? (I am going to store it in a Lock&Lock box...)
Any easy&fast salad ideas that nourish a nursing mama?

TIA!
Valerie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2007, 01:39 PM

Yes, it's possible! They actually serve it at the Disney Animal Kingdom Lodge restaurant Boma, which is where I first had it. No recipes handy, but I'm sure someone here can point you in the right direction.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:49 PM

Yes, you can cook and eat it like oatmeal. My recipe is 1 part quinoa to 2 parts water, bring to a simmer and let it simmer about 25 minutes. If you have a rice cooker you can also cook it in there. I have kept it in the fridge cooked as long as a week, and just reheat it in the microwave. Unlike oatmeal that is chilled and re-heated, re-heated quinoa still tastes great. I usually add a little bit of almond milk (any milk you're used to is fine) and a touch of maple syrup. Enjoy!
Old 02-04-2007, 06:47 PM

: I have a box of Quinoa and no recipes planned. I hadn't thought of using it as a hot cereal. That sounds interesting. The box I have says it can be used in puddings. Hmmm.
eta: this recipe is from allrecipes.com, and sounds interesting.
INGREDIENTS
1 cup quinoa
2 cups water
2 cups apple juice
1 cup raisins
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, or to taste
salt to taste
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
DIRECTIONS
Place quinoa in a sieve and rinse thoroughly. Allow to drain, then place quinoa in a medium saucepan with water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover pan with lid, lower heat, and allow to simmer until all water is absorbed and quinoa is tender, about 15 minutes.
Mix in apple juice, raisins, lemon juice, cinnamon, and salt. Cover pan and allow to simmer for 15 minutes longer. Stir in vanilla extract. Serve warm.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:29 PM

I like it cooked with equal parts amaranth and millet (from Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook!) and a spoonful each of coconut oil, maple syrup, and nut butter. Yummmy!

treehugger.gif homemaker mama to jumpers.gif and stork-boy.gif due in March

Old 02-05-2007, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageR View Post
I like it cooked with equal parts amaranth and millet (from Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook!) and a spoonful each of coconut oil, maple syrup, and nut butter. Yummmy!

I have that cookbook myself as well as the Vegetarian Family Cookbook and never for a minute thought of looking for a recipe in there

Thanks a lot @all for the ideas! I will cook some quinoa later, mixed with some millet that needs to be used up roughly based on the instructions from brigmaman.

And in case anybody has some salad ideas - please bring them on as well!
Old 02-05-2007, 03:43 PM

I'm copying a recipe I wrote in a previous post- I think it was called "quinoa ideas"- you might want to search for that post as it had quite a few recipes if I recall correctly ...

One of my favorite things to do with it is to cook it in broth (water would work fine too) then let it cool somewhat and add roasted cubed butternut squash, chopped apple, golden raisins, almonds or walnuts,sunflower seeds and some crumbled goats cheese. Then drizzle with a light vinagrette made from extra virgin olive oil and raw cider vinegar and a little honey and dijon mustard. It keeps well for a few days in the fridge- if it lasts that long !

User Tag List