How do I get my kids off sugar, gentley? Hyper, pinching 5 yr old... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-05-2007, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello, everyone,

My youngest, 5 yrs old, can get extra hyper, pinchy, etc., while at other time, he can be calm and quiet. I have a *feeling*, though I could be wrong, that he eats too much sugar and chocolate. I won't tell you how much, as I don't really regulate them on food *that* much, and I'd be embaressed to death.

But... I DESPERATELY want to try eliminating sugar from our diets. I don't mean all sugar, but you know, something more reasonable. Or perhaps, all sugar would be good? I don't know, help!

A few issues -- DH is a choco-holic. Not having candy in the house is not an option. Having it out of sight, perhaps...

Another issue... my kids are SO used to having a little candy every day, or a cookie, or pudding, etc, etc, that I'm not sure how to go about eliminating it without it seeming "extreme" and sudden.

I am interested in hearing EVERYTHING, all your thoughts, etc. Help, help, help!

Rachel

Rachel & Eli , with DS1 (7/99) and DS2 (11/01) twins DD1 & DS3 (01/10)
#2 of 10 Old 02-05-2007, 12:26 PM

Could you start by making cookies with 1/2 the sugar or just with honey, then slowly go to all honey or all fruit sweetened? My kids are happy with cookies sweetened with honey or fruit, although their friends often are not. Breads like banana bread and such can easily be made with honey or fruit to sweeten and can be a nice treat, too. We've found choc chips sweetened with barley syrup which don't seem to affect my dd (who is sensitive to sugar). They are made by Sunspire and we only find them at the health food store or Wild Oats. they're pricey so only a sometimes treat.
#3 of 10 Old 02-05-2007, 12:27 PM

:

Jess, mom to Phelan Quinn (9/23/95), Wiley Rogue (10/29/03), and Victor Xerxes (9/10/08) and still married to my giant!
#4 of 10 Old 02-05-2007, 12:39 PM

We don't eat sugar, but we do eat honey. When we need a chocolate fix (and we all do, no?) we eat these. All they have is unsweetened chocolate, honey and peppermint oil. We also use honey for all of our baking with great results.

Personally I would stock up on sweets and stuff that he can have while you are cutting out the other stuff.
#5 of 10 Old 02-05-2007, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

I should mention my son has lots of allergies, so any alternative-sweet ideas, I need recipes for... so, please, do share if you have them!

#6 of 10 Old 02-05-2007, 01:12 PM

We have lots of food we can't eat either, which is why we went on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet--it helped me tons, and DS a lot.

Their website is http://www.pecanbread.com and it has tons of recipes on it.
#7 of 10 Old 02-05-2007, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the link! Only problem is, my son is allergic to eggs and nuts... which seems to be 90% of the food on that site.

#8 of 10 Old 02-05-2007, 01:48 PM

one of the best things you can do for a kid IMHO is to get them almost completely off of sugar. most people don't realize that sugar is a HUGE immune system destroyer. it drastically lowers the white blood cell count which are used to fight off diseases.

look for recipes that use honey, maple syrup etc instead of sugar, swithch to 100% fruit spreads instead of jelly, watch out for yogurt the "health" food that is loaded with sugar even the organic kid varieties.

Here are some ideas for healthy/healthier sweet snacks

cookies made with maple syrup instead of sugar - i will incll the recipe below,

healthy times premium organic teething biscuits, maple or vanilla flavor (all natural, no egg dairy or wheat) but they are not very sweet - might want to not intro them right away

healthy times hugga bear cookies - basically animal crackers and I only give her 2 at a time because they do have more sugar than i like in them - 8 cookies has 6 grams of sugar. might be a good transition food (grammie bought them for her - i wouldn't have )

Annie's crackers or even some of the annies choc chip cracker/cookie things are low in sugar if you limit the amount of them

fruit

fruit smoothies with a bit of honey in them

freeze smoothies into popsicles

candy from health food store sweetened with things other than sugar

applesauce (also makes a great sweetener in things) - make sure you get no sugar/sweetener added variety

grain sweetened choc chips (i can get them in bulk at our local co-op)

Ok here is the cookie recipe

3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup maple syrup
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cups oats
1 cup wheat flour
1 cup wheat germ
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup carob chips or choc chips (i use more! )
1/4 cup walnuts

cream butter, mix in syrup egg and vanilla, stir in rest and bake at 350 for 7-10 min or til done

we make them w/o the wheat germ as i dont' have any at the moment but then they are a bit too buttery - also we like to put in less chips and add raisins too or i am going to try them with coconut, dried cherries and choc chips MMMmmm

good luck!
#9 of 10 Old 02-05-2007, 03:14 PM

Moving to nutrition

Good, you might also want to check out the awesome Allergies subforum

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#10 of 10 Old 02-06-2007, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page