The-What's-for-dinner-Thread - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-15-2007, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi mama~

As I didn't see a dinner-thread for some time AND having had delisious dinner yesterday and today I decided to start a new one

Soo...my dinneryesterday was:
Beef minute steaks, then I stir-fried some sugar snap peas+ww pasta in the meat juices, deglazed it w/some red wine and ateall that w/aioli
Today I had some beef minute steaks again, but this time the stir-fried was swiss chard, carrots and ww pasta, again deglazed it w/red wine, added some fleur de sel and ate everything w/aioil. For dessert I had this cake but as I only had ww flour I used 2 cups of that and added some milk to make the cake moist enough. This cake is unbelievable delicious and soo different from other ww cakes I've made in the past. MOre often than not they tasted more like bread than cake but this one is really perfect. Plus the walnuts+brown sugar form a yummy caramelly interior again!

I really need that today as really everybody but me is ill w/the flu (since the past weekend, mind you!) - DH, DD, DS and even my always-healthy In-Laws who live in the same town and would normally been able to help a little bit. My parents are both away as well, my father on a trip in Australia and my mother visting a friend in Hamburg. All I wanna do this night is put my head under a pillow in order to not hear anybody cough, cry, be hungry or having a wet diaper. Can you tell that I am really exhausted and tired :
#2 of 9 Old 02-15-2007, 07:59 PM

The cake sounds yummy!

Tonight was an indulgence night, because I know I should be weaning myself off of pasta. I had homemade baked mac & cheese (using raw milk in the roux, and raw cheddar and organic cream cheese for the cheese). I'm still adjusting though... I used to top it with buttered bread crumbs before putting into the oven, but I cut them out and it's just not the same.

The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials. ~ Chinese proverb
#3 of 9 Old 02-16-2007, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severine View Post
The cake sounds yummy!

Tonight was an indulgence night, because I know I should be weaning myself off of pasta. I had homemade baked mac & cheese (using raw milk in the roux, and raw cheddar and organic cream cheese for the cheese). I'm still adjusting though... I used to top it with buttered bread crumbs before putting into the oven, but I cut them out and it's just not the same.
Oooh, Severine, can you post that recipe?

Tonight we made what someone on the F&F board once posted and called their Irish Dinner (though by now, my version may have evolved to be a little different ). Saute a roughly chopped onion in EVOO, add in chunked up potatoes and sliced carrots and cook in the pan, continually adding chicken broth (or could just be water) and stirring until they're all softened and the broth has left a little thickened sauce in the bottom of the pan. Turn off the heat and add in about a cup of your favorite cheese, shredded (we just use cheddar). Stir it around until the cheese melts and combines with the brothy sauce to make a yummy thick sauce. Served with loads of Tabasco for the grown-ups and my homemade honey yogurt rolls, toasted with some butter. Mmmm! Of course, my big kid didn't like it, and the toddler ate a bunch but then saw her sister eating pasta and wanted that instead But DH and I put a hurtin' on that pan of food :

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#4 of 9 Old 02-16-2007, 11:29 AM

Last night I had what I call peanut butter chicken it is thai inspired but not quite authentic
I blend about 1/4 cup peanut butter (natural/organic) with 5 cloves of garlic, a finger tip or more amount of ginger, eyeball teryaki sauce and water until a applesauce consistency once blended, just pour over the chicken, it is so addicting I can eat 5 legs easily, even when not pregnant

I had a romain lettuce salad with alfalfa sprouts (we are out of tomatoes and red peppers which I usually eat w/ it) and a ginger dressing (naturally fresh) I looove this also, it is from the refridgerated salad section

and my homemade red cabbage/garlic/red pepper/ginger sauerkraut
#5 of 9 Old 02-16-2007, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrayn View Post
and my homemade red cabbage/garlic/red pepper/ginger sauerkraut
I would love to have your recipe for this and your ginger dressing, pretty please!

Tonight we're having salmon cakes, sweet potatoes, and roasted cauliflower.
#6 of 9 Old 02-16-2007, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissel View Post
Oooh, Severine, can you post that recipe?
Last night was a bit of an experiment, so I'll do the best I can with amounts.

1 lb box of pasta (shells, elbows, something that will hold that cheese!)
4 Tbsp good quality butter
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 cups raw milk
2 cups cubed raw cheddar
4 oz cubed organic cream cheese

Preheat oven to 350oF. Cook pasta according to directions. While that's going, melt butter over med-med/high heat. Once butter gets bubbly, add flour. Let that thicken and bubble, then add milk. Stir periodically until thickened, then add cheese. Take off heat as soon as cheese starts to melt.

Drain pasta then put back in pot and add cheese/roux mix. Mix thoroughly and put in 2.5Qt or bigger casserole dish. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.

It tastes better if you can get sharp cheddar, but it's not always feasible when using raw. If you have no reason to avoid breadcrumbs, you can also add buttered breadcrumbs sprinkled on the top of the casserole before you put it in the oven.

The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials. ~ Chinese proverb
#7 of 9 Old 02-16-2007, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex Libris View Post
I would love to have your recipe for this and your ginger dressing, pretty please!

Tonight we're having salmon cakes, sweet potatoes, and roasted cauliflower.
I used this website to learn about sauerkraut
http://www.wildfermentation.com/reso...age=sauerkraut
but used less cabbage - 2 heads, no specific measure for the carrots, garlic, ginger, or red peppers and I salt it as I go when I think it needs some more, I punch it with my hand to pack it, no special tools just the crock pot. I put a clean plate that fits well over top and use a jar with beans and a glas lid on top and cover with a pillow case and press it down every once in a while.

The dressing isn't homemade just from the grocery store in the refridgerated section where the premade salads are located it is called naturally fresh, there is a different brand that is not very good it has more ingredients to it this one is primarily ginger.

I like salmon cakes usually I will cut up onions and garlic and add some cooked brown rice into the mixture with eggs and bread crumbs
#8 of 9 Old 02-16-2007, 10:26 PM

Yum! Thank you!
#9 of 9 Old 02-16-2007, 11:54 PM

Tonight was pizza: crust made from my sourdough starter, plus organic sauce and mozzarella cheese. Next time I'll use some unbleached all purpose flour in the dough - my starter is rye and whole wheat, and I added whole wheat, which made for a very dense crust. Not terrible, just dense.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page