Raw meat recipes - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-20-2007, 01:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've heard that some people have chosen to eat mostly raw meat. Does anyone have any recipes for this, like for sushi or neat things to do with chicken, beef, etc. without cooking over 115 degrees? I can't imagine just scarfing down a raw chicken wing by itself, and I doubt that's really how the diet works. I could be wrong though. Any recipes for me? I'm having trouble finding anything on the web.

fambedsingle2.gif Heather, 25, single mom to Corbin, 5, and Orin, 3  uc.jpg  delayedvax.gif  nocirc.gif
Oh how I miss the days of femalesling.GIF  nak.gifcd.gif  
#2 of 10 Old 02-20-2007, 10:46 AM

Try:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceviche

Also Northern Europeans still eat steak tartare - raw chopped beef served with raw egg yolk & capers, onions etc. I wouldn't use store bought minced meat though. In Denmark there was special minced meat set aside for making this - it had been minced the same day and it was lean, high grade beef.
#3 of 10 Old 02-20-2007, 10:48 AM

there are some raw meat recipes in the Nourishing Traditions cookbook... maybe post this in the traditional foods sub-forum.

chicken3.gif mama knit.gif to 3 farmboys (9 reading.gif, 6 blahblah.gif & 3 notes2.gif ) and 1 farmgirl (baby.gif)
#4 of 10 Old 02-20-2007, 02:12 PM

I luuuurve steak tartar. My mom used to make it growing up - I don't think she had a set recipe. She got her beef from a good local butcher, ground it up (food processor) at home and threw in a shot of vodka (kills the germs ), an egg yolk, chopped onions, lots of pepper, worcester sauce, tons of capers, salt - and I'm not sure what else. It was a meal for the grown-ups in our house and I used to hover around stealing bites. I've had something called "Yebeg Wot" (sp?) at Ethiopian restaurants - their version of tartare, made w/ chili powder, I think.

Beef carpaccio is raw - but perhaps cured a bit?

Here's one recipe: http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,191,...250196,00.html

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

#5 of 10 Old 02-20-2007, 02:25 PM

at 9 months pregnant I started craving raw meat something awful. I jsut got grass fed tenderloin and froze it. When I wanted it I would shave off a bit.
#6 of 10 Old 02-20-2007, 03:13 PM

ceviche
tartare
carne cruda
sashimi
carpaccio
kibbeh nayeh
poke (hawaiian)
and my favorite - rare steak

I think that when you eat raw poultry, you are supposed to thinly slice it and marinate it in lemon juice and seasonings, much like a ceviche.

Me love.gif, DH guitar.gif, and DD baby.gif9/27/10!
#7 of 10 Old 02-20-2007, 03:17 PM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#8 of 10 Old 02-20-2007, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Lemon juice? Is that an antibacterial like vinegar?

Wow I'm learning so much. My hubbie is way more interested in the raw meat thing than me, so he'll be pleased lol

fambedsingle2.gif Heather, 25, single mom to Corbin, 5, and Orin, 3  uc.jpg  delayedvax.gif  nocirc.gif
#9 of 10 Old 02-20-2007, 05:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
You DH may be interested in the Primal Diet by Aajonus Vonderplanitz, he has two books, We Want to Live and Recipe for Living without Disease which has tons of raw meat reciepes in it.

http://home.earthlink.net/~welive/index.html

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#10 of 10 Old 02-21-2007, 02:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, that is more than enough to get us started. It all looks simple to prepare, and the ingredients are probably easy to find! If anyone knows of any other raw meat dishes I'm all ears. Thanks for the information about vodka. I wonder if other liquors would have the same disenfecting effect?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page