Nutritional Yeast - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 02-15-2002, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, do I just add it to almost any recipe? How much?

Any special recipes using it?
#2 of 14 Old 02-15-2002, 11:58 AM

sprinkle it on popcorn- yum yum.

or make scrambled tofu for breakfast- saute onions, add mushrooms or other veges (I do kale) and crumbled tofu. season with herbs, tamari, and tumeric. Add nutritional yeast (1/4 cup or more) and a little water. Simmer until it thickens a bit. Yummy on whole grain toast.

thats how we use it,
jeanie
#3 of 14 Old 02-15-2002, 01:20 PM
PM
Banned

We use it on salad. Yummy! Dd, 22 mos, eats it on anything! It's her favorite thing since she was less than a year old. Sounds good on eggs and popcorn.
#4 of 14 Old 02-15-2002, 01:34 PM

Pardon the showcase of ignorance but what exactly is nutritional yeast?
I use wheat germ and flax seeds in my food. Is it like brewers yeast?

Jen
#5 of 14 Old 02-15-2002, 01:46 PM

It's not brewer's yeast. It's a yellow flaky/grainy type of thing very high in B12, which a lot of vegans use as their source of B12.

We sprinkle it on stir fries.

There's a great book called the UnCheese cookbook (Joanne Stepaniak, I think) and there are a lot of recipes using it.
#6 of 14 Old 02-15-2002, 01:50 PM
PM
Banned

Well, unless it's different here in France (I am assuming after all that I translated it correctly, because I actually thought it didn't even exist in the States) it is brewer's yeast in flakes with malt barley. On my box it says you can add it to salads, raw vegetables, or grilled meats and fish or mix into yoghurts and such 'yuck!). It has tons and tons of vitamins and minerals (great for folic acid, iron, magnesium and zinc).
#7 of 14 Old 02-15-2002, 01:56 PM
PM
Banned

It's not? My box says it contains "levure de biere", literally beer yeast so I thought it brewer's yeast might be the same thing. I better look it up in a dictionary, I'm afraid I made an assumption.
#8 of 14 Old 02-15-2002, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all!
#9 of 14 Old 02-15-2002, 05:09 PM

Nutritional Yeast is definitely different than brewers yeast- it is not active, meaning it can't make things rise and such. That means it is also ok for people with Candida. It has kind of a cheesy flavor. Besides the Uncheese Cookbook, Joanne Stepaniak wrote a cookbook called the Nutritional Yeast Cookbook. I don't yet have it, but plan on getting it. If it is bright yellow it is made by Red Star, which means it is vegan, and has no additives such as whey and honey. It is fortified with B12. We use it for fake "cheeze" recipes mostly. We love it!
#10 of 14 Old 03-06-2002, 01:04 PM

The dog and I seem to be the only ones in the house who really dig nutritional yeast. Dh and dd eat more dairy than I do. Dd actually gave it a try, Dh balked at it. I thought this pseudo-cheese sauce was great over whole wheat pasta and broccoli with a little tamari and gomasio sprinkled on it. Maybe if I'd thrown in some garlic it would have been a bigger hit.

1/2 c. nutritional yeast
1/2 c. unbleached whole wheat flour (I used King Arthur's "traditional" which is quite coarse)
1/2 tsp. salt
2 c. water
1/4 c. oil (optional or use less)
1 tsp. wet mustard

In a small sauce pan combine dry ingredients. Whisk in the water and oil. Heat over medium flame, stirring constantly, until it starts to bubble. Before serving stir in the mustard. Will keep for a few days if stored in the fridge in an air-tight container. Enjoy!
#11 of 14 Old 03-06-2002, 02:21 PM

I grew up on Nutritional Yeast. So yummy! I mix it with melted butter and put it on popcorn but my favorite is to butter a baked potato and then sprinkle nut. yeast on top. MMM I think I need to make that for dinner...

PS I never did know what all is in it. Anyone know what makes it up and how it is made???
Thanks

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#12 of 14 Old 03-06-2002, 07:23 PM

I buy one from KAL that is called unfortified imported yeast. It is not nearly as high in B-12 as the fortified, but it is not in flakes, more like a powder, and it dissolves SO much easier and you use less for the nutritional equivalent. The vitamin profile is differnt, it is extremly high in iron (60% RDA in a 1 oz serving). According to the can, it is also vegan. It is dark tan, not the yellow and has a more mellow, nutty flavor. I personally don't much care for the yellow one, but love this kind. Just thought I'd throw that out there, that there are many differnt varieties, and some may be more to your liking than others.

How we eat it--I like it mixed in V-8 juice 1 scoop per cup and in vanilla yogurt with some whet germ, and my son likes it mixed with peanut butter and honey to make little balls.

Carrie
#13 of 14 Old 06-03-2003, 11:02 AM

Elismama & Belle babe-I bought some Nutritional Yeast in bulk from my co-op (knowing I needed the boost in B vitamins) but didn't know exactly what to do with it. Tried it mixed with butter and olive oil on popcorn last night--very tasty. Much better than on cereal--not so good.

Does anyone know the nutrional content amounts of the stuff. How much do I need to eat a day to get enough B12???

Any other easy ideas for eating this?
#14 of 14 Old 06-07-2003, 11:47 AM
Kam

I put a good amount in scones, pancakes, and other quick "breads." It makes them taste more bready, but not too strongly. I actually prefer scones and biscuits with NY now.

I'll have to try it on popcorn next time. That sounds yummy. Thanks for the tip!

warmly,
Kam, mama to Meg

Tags
Nutrition Now , Food Items

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page