Gluten-Free - what's on the menu? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-08-2007, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I want to give this a try (I won't go into the reasons since this is the nutrition board and I want to stay on topic )

What do y'all eat? I googled it and find long, complicated lists of gluten free products : I want this trial to be as simple as possible on me so I think I'll just stick with products labeled GF but for the most part, just eat whole foods cooked at home (had some of those Pamela's cookies at a playdate with GF friends tuesday and OMG they are the best cookies evah!)

So if I'm buying fresh fruits and veggies, raw meats and sticking to rice, corn and buckwheat, I'm safe right?

What about dried fruits (apricots and raisins)? Or peanut butter? Anything iffy in them?

In thinking about it, my diet does not center on grains anyway, but I do eat them daily. Far less than the recommended amount, but I still do eat them. But it won't be a huge deal for me. I just want to make sure I do this right because it's a lot of effort (mental at least!) to go too to then find out I screwed it up and was eating something with gluten the whole time

So what is your diet like? Give me an idea of what y'all eat please :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2007, 08:34 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just avoid anything with wheat... which is easy until you start trying to eat out or eat anything processed.

But, if I want a burger at a restaurant, I'll just order a mushroom/cheese burger without the bun. Most places these days got used to that during the whole Atkins diet craze so it's no big deal.

I do eat spelt although apparently it does have gluten. Soy sauce is one thing with gluten that I didn't expect. The fruit and peanut butter are fine - just read labels and look for WHEAT.

I like using rice or quinoa, although some sites say quinoa has gluten most say it doesn't.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Quinoa-...ns/Detail.aspx is a great family friendly recipe - DD loves it. I do change it a little though - I only use one can of beans and add a can of diced tomatoes (or fresh diced tomatoes). Also, I hate cilantro so I use italian parsley. We eat it as a main dish but it's good as a tortilla filling too. Wheat-free tortillas, that is.

This site has a pretty good list:
http://www.diagnose-me.com/treat/T112792.html

Also, rice pastas have gotten way way better in the past few years - we like the rice rotini a lot. It's not sticky at all... can't remember the brand though.

hope that helps!

Finally pregnant with #1 and #2! Due September 9th, 2014 

Old 03-08-2007, 11:37 PM

Here are some things we've had in the last few days:

rump roast (crockpot, with veggies & red wine)
spinach salad with mango-chili vinaigrette, pine nuts, raisins, and manchego
braised kale with garlic
pan-fried catfish over oniony lentils
brown rice with wild mushrooms and peas
mushroom stroganoff (I eat it over Tinkyada pasta)
pasta primavera (again, tinkyada pasta)
roasted green beens

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

Old 03-09-2007, 02:36 AM

spelt and kamut both have gluten in them, but less than regular wheat does. barley and rye also have gluten, and oats are iffy because they're often cross-contaminated, and many people who are gluten intolerant or who have celiac disease do not tolerate oats very well. and i second checking soy sauce labels. some brands ferment the soybeans with wheat. i knew this but didn't check the label and we ended up getting a bottle of soy sauce that has wheat in it!

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

Old 03-09-2007, 01:16 PM

Right, you have to look for more than wheat. Barley, rye, and oats, but also look for malt flavoring (comes from barley). Natural flavors and caramel color are also suspect ingredients unless you know for sure where they come from. Also, you can't always trust a plain burger in a restaurant; if it has bread crumbs or oats in the mix to stretch it, it has gluten. If it was grilled on a grill that also toasts buns, it has gluten. You'd think even veggie burgers would be safe, but most of them have wheat as well. We can't even order tofu because usually restaurant tofu has been preseasoned with--you guessed it!--gluten (usually soy sauce).

Here's what we have had for dinner this week (if I can remember!):

--crockpot southwestern potpie (pintos and veggies with cornbread baked on top)
--3-bean chili, also with cornbread baked on top
--taco salad
--baked pasta (Tinkyada brown rice pasta is SO GOOD)
--sloppy lentil sandwiches (I use recipes from Bette Hagman's Gluten-Free Gourmet Bakes Bread)

Everything I cook has to be vegan AND gluten-free, so it's a challenge at times.

I highly recommend browsing around on celiac.com, you will find a lot of good info there.

Homeschooling mom to four kids, ages 18, 18, 10, and 6. 

Old 03-09-2007, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks A friend of mine also suggested Tinyada and amazingly, I remembered the name when I was in the store last night. Some is boiling right now
Old 03-09-2007, 10:23 PM

I found it really difficult to transition to GF at first, especially since I made all of the bread products we ate. Baking GF is NOT the same. It's been six months and now I can make really good bread, rolls, etc., but we would all take regular bread products over my yummy homemade stuff. We don't rely on packaged GF stuff for the most part, but I have the time to cook from scratch every day.

Uh oh, someone is crying...

Old 03-10-2007, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinMom View Post
I found it really difficult to transition to GF at first, especially since I made all of the bread products we ate. Baking GF is NOT the same. It's been six months and now I can make really good bread,
Not to hijack this thread, but TwinMom - would you mind sharing your GF bread recipe?? We've been GF for over a year now, and the bread is the ONE thing I just cannot get the hang of! I make two loaves of wheat/bulgar/oat bread weekly for my DP, but the little guy deserves homemade bread, too, you know! I've been making the store bought mixes from the GF Pantry, but I want/need to make my own...

Thanks!!

Molly, mama to my 3 sweet boys.
: : hale:
Old 03-11-2007, 01:57 PM

I am going to PM you, I'm not sure about the legality of posting a recipe from a book.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:59 AM

have you try Gluten Free Menu at Olive Garden, i tried the Olive Garden Gluten Free Menu months ago, it's good, you can try it.
and if you want the info about the Gluten Free Menu of Olive Garden, consult this post: http://www.hrhtips.com/olive-garden-gluten-free-menu/

User Tag List