washing strawberries - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 03-16-2007, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Those of who don't buy organic, how do you wash strawberries? I know they're pretty heavily sprayed. Hmm, actually, tips for other fruits and veg would also be appreciated!
#2 of 11 Old 03-16-2007, 11:31 AM

There is no way to wash off all of the pesticides. Strawberries are HEAVILY pesticided. I would wash them with a collander to remove germs from peoples hands but that is all you should worry about if you are not concerned with pesticides.

Living the Joyful life as a mama of three beautiful children who are just right the way they are.

I blog at www.saboss.blogspot.com chicken3.gif

#3 of 11 Old 03-16-2007, 11:56 AM

:

Strawberries on on the top five list of the fruits containing the most pesticides,
There is no way to wash it off, they are sprayed several times throughout there growing period and it is absorbed into the fruit.
this holds true with many fruits and veggies, peaches, plums and any berries are very high in pesticides too....
#4 of 11 Old 03-16-2007, 12:23 PM

If I cannot get them reasonably organic than I don't buy them. That said I also have my own little patch- I am hoping this year is a good season and I can freeze some. I would look at the lists for the items most heavily sprayed and at least try to get those organic. If you buy in season fruit the price is usually very comparable. Actually lately the fruit I have been buying is just as cheap as the conventional counterpart.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#5 of 11 Old 03-16-2007, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Oh dear. No organics available here, and we love strawberries. Rats. Thanks for the info, though.
#6 of 11 Old 03-16-2007, 12:36 PM

I float wash mine through a few basins of water. Fill a basin with water, float the berries in it, then drain. Do this a couple of times. Then, the last time, take out a handful and run them under running water. The float wash allows the dirt and stuff to siink to the bottom of the basin.

Doesn't guarantee that the pesticides are gone, but it's better than a rinse alone.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#7 of 11 Old 03-16-2007, 05:37 PM

And you should never wash any berries until right before you eat them. Water sitting on them causes them to rot faster.

I always buy organic now (ever since I found out how heavily they're sprayed), and just give them a quick rinse. The average person eats pounds of dirt a year, so unless I can see it, I don't worry about it.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#8 of 11 Old 03-16-2007, 05:45 PM

You can add a little apple cider vinegar and/or hydrogen peroxide to a bowl or sink full of water and soak. I think it helps remove some of the surface stuff, unless they've been waxed
#9 of 11 Old 03-16-2007, 08:58 PM

I used Trader Joes organic fruit and veggie wash. It gets so much off then, but I'm sure not all.
#10 of 11 Old 03-16-2007, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilys_mom1 View Post
I used Trader Joes organic fruit and veggie wash. It gets so much off then, but I'm sure not all.
Veggie wash, I never heard of that. Good to know!
#11 of 11 Old 03-16-2007, 09:23 PM

If I can't get fresh organic strawberries, I buy the little frozen bags of organic ones. Better than nothing! I just make smoothies instead.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page