It started with green ketchup.... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 67 Old 02-16-2002, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter
glh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Now I just saw a commercial for margarine in different colors like blue and pink.:yuck The commercial was specifically aimed at kids, even joking that it would gross out their parents.

Is it me or are they marketing these things (I won't even call it food) to kids, so that there will come a time when they won't even recognize what healthy, natural, whole foods look or taste like, and everything they eat will be processed crap? Or is it just for fun and maybe I should lighten up? :
#2 of 67 Old 02-16-2002, 11:05 PM

No, I think you have a very good point. I'm sure they meant it for fun and PROFIT, but you are right that soon some children won't recognize a healthy meal unless there's a secret decoder ring buried in it!!!
I'm tired of all the marketing in general, directed at children! Case in point: We were at the store the other day and my 4 yr. old aksed for a particular shampoo, I said "no, that's not what we buy" she said "My hair will NEVER be silky soft!":

peggy
#3 of 67 Old 02-16-2002, 11:07 PM

Oh this is too weird!
I was delivering my papers yesterday and I happened to see an advertisement for purple ketchup...if that's not strange enough, it even comes in a new easy-to-squeeze bottle. Like the old plastic bottle wasn't easy enough to squeeze?! I think the most offensive "food" I saw was a convenience pack of ready-to-eat cereal, inside of a plastic bowl with a spoon. And no clean up - just toss the whole thing into the garbage when you're done kids. It was "for busy families" that don't even have enough time to pour cereal into a real, reusable bowl.
Don't feel like you should lighten up over this kind of stuff...processed food is poisoning our bodies and our planet.
Invasion of the Classroom - How Corporations Buy Access To Children:
http://www.thesunmagazine.org/classroom.html
#4 of 67 Old 02-17-2002, 12:13 AM

I'm with you. And whenever we see food that is not it's natural color, I say to ds, "eww, look at that, pink butter, isn't that disgusting, we don't buy that gross stuff!" He always agrees with me

jtsmom
#5 of 67 Old 02-17-2002, 12:37 AM

I know I've been thinking the same thing too.It's really weird.I think these kids will hate real food later.

We occasionally give ds things we're not crazy about but it still appears to be food.In a pinch I will buy him yogurt when out(not the brand we usually use).Now I find purple yogurt with sprinkles or jimmies at the supermarket.At what point is it not worth giving a kid yogurt?

Have you seen Lunchables yuck
#6 of 67 Old 02-17-2002, 02:48 AM

That stuff just ain't right

We odn't allow margerine anyway so it is a non issue, but she really pushed for the green ketup today. They used to give it automatically in happymeals and have stopped (as if it isn't bad enough that I am feeding her the happy meal must they put green ketup in there against my will : ) Can you even imagine how much die they must put in there to cover up the dark red? Gross!

As for the youget we try to find funn in other ways like sqeeze youget but not hte kid stuff. Most of the kids flavors are more junk than yogert.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#7 of 67 Old 02-17-2002, 02:57 AM

I wonder how safe all those artifical colorings are...

#8 of 67 Old 02-17-2002, 03:38 AM
pie

My MIL just bought Spanky this purple and green Buzz Lightyear cereal (grrrrrrr) with purlple marshmallows, right? Barf. Well, the worst part is that the box says, verbatim, "A naturally sweetened whole grain cereal...."

WTF is that all about??? MAN. And do we EAT it or waste it?
#9 of 67 Old 02-17-2002, 04:40 AM

Oh dear...I thought the green ketchup was marketed to dhs......

is mine the only one who *had* to have it???

pink margerine is just gross.....I am totally not looking forward to all that marketing rubbing off on dd.....

Not all those who wander are lost 
#10 of 67 Old 02-17-2002, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Forest Sage
! I think the most offensive "food" I saw was a convenience pack of ready-to-eat cereal, inside of a plastic bowl with a spoon. And no clean up - just toss the whole thing into the garbage when you're done kids. [url]
eek: You've GOT to be kidding! It hasn't gotten that bad over here yet, but marketers usually look to the US when coming up with new ideas (they've been trying to import the idea of Halloween - mostly just with plastic pumpkins and the like).

The latest thing has been 'functional foods' which, thankfully, is failing miserably.
#11 of 67 Old 02-17-2002, 08:25 AM

man, what is the US doing??? we don't see that sort of thing here. I mean, they push lollipops and candy like crazy but you don't see PURPLE ketchup for crying out loud! GEEZ!

Yes, I think it's deliberate marketing. catch a consumer as early as possible and they'll be in your hands for life. sad.

mamapie-if you're a crafty lady, glue those marshmallows on some paper and give it to MIL as a present LOL "See what Spanky made for you , Grandma?" hehehe
#12 of 67 Old 02-17-2002, 09:42 AM

My teenaged nephew who lived with us last year, bought my kids a bottle of it, thinking we'd all love it. In all my life, I have never seen a more disgusting food. I took a taste and it doesn't even taste like ketchup--probably because of all that dye. I felt bad about throwing out an entire bottle of ketchup, but that is exactly what I did as soon as my nephew's back was turned.

What about that "easy mac" by Kraft (of course). It's some sort of single serving microwaveable macaroni & cheese with disposable bowl, no doubt. And Disney characters plastered all over Kellogg's cereals. They've got Buzz Lightyear, Mickey Mouse, and those Monters Inc. characters on practically everything. And lunchables! They used to always come with a juicebox, but now some of them come with a can of soda! Who would give their kids soda for lunch? (Or a lunchable for that matter.) Not that juiceboxes are that great, but they're a little better than soda. And jello single serving snack paks? I mean, if you want jello, how hard is it to make? You just add water! And if your kids want to travel with it, you put it in a little reusable container. Am I the only mother in America who sends her kids to school with lunchboxes packed with reusable plastic dishes, real silverware, and cloth napkins?
#13 of 67 Old 02-17-2002, 11:16 AM

Seriously those convenience cereal packs did exist (Kelloggs), I never saw them for sale here but I did see a commercial for them on an American station a couple of years ago. They are in the same vein as Lunchables, same idea...it saves mom or dad (or the child for that matter) from making a meal. The waste these packaged convenience foods produces is disproportionate to the amount of food they contain! I've never actually bought a Lunchable but I assume most of the packaging is recyclable...still that's not it's saving grace! How many kids are going to bring home the package to recycle it?
Those kinds of things send a confusing message...don't you think? Waste no energy preparing a meal but take the effort to recycle the empty container???
I can't believe these things are legal...it makes me SO angry that people think making money is more important than the environment. Don't even get me started about disposable diapers!
#14 of 67 Old 02-17-2002, 11:27 AM

Oh, you're all talking about something I think about a LOT. Have any of you read "Fast Food Nation"? In the meat of the book, the author explains how the flavorings and colorings are made. You know, how they flavor the jelly bellies? It's all chemicals, and has more to do with smell than natural flavorings. See, a flavor can be 'natural', but most chemical components ARE natural, they're found in the earth. ARSENIC is natural, but you won't catch me eating it! So, the 'natural strawberry flavor' isn't even strawberry at all but something concocted to make your brain THINK you're tasting strawberry. It's all a magician's trick. And, guess what else the author tells us? The stuff isn't really regulated the way that real FOOD is regulated! So it's not really all that well tested for safety.

We make our own bread here (and English muffins too), and our own yogurt, and our own jam and use fruit to flavor our yogurt. We already have chickens and are going to get a couple goats for dairy. I try to buy my butter at a farm store, boy that sure tastes different from even Cabot. We make our own ice cream too...milk plus cream plus whatever amount of sugar you like plus natural flavorings (real vanilla sticks are my favorite).

Jam is easy to make...you put fruit and some lemon juice and sugar in a pan and boil and mash it to the consistency you like over low heat. Then after about half and hour you pour it into a glass jar, let it cool, and put it in the fridge.

You can make ketchup too. It's easy if you have fresh tomatoes.

I must confess, I put red food coloring into the icing I used on my Valentine cookies.

On St. Patrick's Day we make green pancakes.

At Christmastime I make all different colors of icing for our cookies.

Most children like to make their own ice cream and ketchup and English muffins. Once they taste homemade, they might never want the processed stuff again.

Sarah
#15 of 67 Old 02-17-2002, 11:36 AM

Different comment - did you know that Kellogg's started out as a health food company? Kellogg had a 'health spa' where people would stay and at this place they were served the nutritious corn flakes. Then he discovered that it would be more profitable to sell the famous corn flakes instead of running the spa. When the company started out, the workers had 30 hour work weeks and free time and fresh air opportunities - it was like a little idealistic commune. I don't know what happened to change that, but somewhere along the line, the profits became much less...maybe a marketing boo-boo and competition.

I don't buy boxed dry cereal - it costs too much for what you get out of it. My kids don't watch TV so they don't start with the preconceived notion that it is supposed to taste good. I must admit that when I go to the grocery store (very infrequently) my toddler is attracted by the boxes in that aisle. We do buy the generic cream of wheat cereal and oatmeal. It's a good bang for the buck and doesn't come with the plastic packaging inside.

Still, the history of boxed, dry, cereal is interesting. I never knew about the Kellogg's history as a health food item. But looking back over the history of food in the US, and what people *used* to eat, I can see how it was.

When we switch from store-bought milk to goat's milk I think I am going to have to give my toddler his Vitamins, especially D, and make more time to go into the sunshine every single day. Rickets!

Sarah
#16 of 67 Old 02-17-2002, 11:47 AM

truly sarah-that is so interesting about Kelloggs! Probably what happened was they were doing well and then got bought out by a larger company and they turned them into an evil corporation (or maybe the heirs didn't have the same vision as the parents?).

When we were kids, my little brother was really hyper. My mom did some reading on nutrition, and decided to cut out all red food coloring (mostly Koolaid and Jello and sugared breakfast cereals in the 70's) and as much sugar as she could. She says it helped tremendously. This was in the days before ADD. I wonder if anyone will ever do a study on the diet of ADD children (and their mommies, for that matter).

I was really grossed out by the foods in the stores the last time we went back to the States (last Nov), but I missed the purple katchup! GROSSS!!!

michelle
#17 of 67 Old 02-17-2002, 11:49 AM

Thank God I have two healthy eaters. Neither has a sweet tooth, and while they do want the occasional bag of Doritos, for the most part I can keep them happy feeding them fruit and whole grain crackers with (real) cheese, etc.

I must say I take credit for that. As toddlers, I offered them healthy foods and let relatives know that there would be plenty of opportunites down the line for them to eat crap. I think that was one of the best things I ever did for my children. It only takes slightly more time to peel an apple and put it in a (reusable) container to take with on any outing. I especially made sure to bring healthy snacks with us when grocery shopping.

I also think it is WAY important to limit kids exposure to commercial TV. My kids are happily unaware that such creations as purple or green ketchup even exist!
#18 of 67 Old 02-17-2002, 12:04 PM

Nope it isn't you. It's disgusting! Profit-oriented-crap-probably financed by the allopathic medical profession to make our kids sick so doctors can charge big bucks to "cure"them! WOW! I'm on a roll!

My dd sees the green ketchup or other such crap and says, "Oh we don't eat that it is all chemicals".
#19 of 67 Old 02-17-2002, 12:07 PM

my MIL thinks all this stuff is great for kids to have. I had to point out to her that V8 splash wsa NOT fruit juice....it's about 10% juice "drink" . She thinks I'm crazy for objecting. Ds goes there in emergencies (birth of sister overnite and my week in hosp. for surgery) with out me and comes home wanting all this junk....blue oatmeal w/candy and poptarts for breakfast and lunchables. He says "gramma says it has vitamins"...grrrrr:mad: . she also lets him watch IMO objectinable tv shows. I must admit I am not the most wholesome eater...we eat red meat and the occasional box of froot loops.....but as a special treat, not as the norm. Dh says thats what grammas are for. Sooooo.... I am teaching ds about the world of advertizing. He'll say "look mommy, pink butter" and I ask him if he thinks that will taste good. He usually says no. Then I tell him (not just about food, but junk toys too) that people get paid to make commercials that make a product look like you would really want it. The next time he sees the commercial, he says "look, that stuff is really junk". He said it to MIL the other day!!!! YAY!!
~~~truly sara~~ You sound like you have what we would love to have! A few goats, some chickens and an organic garden is our goal! We only have the garden now but one day.....
~~~daylily~~ the easy mac comes in little pouches ( a co worker of mine eats it) and one day i tried a bit....NASTY!! But you have to use your own bowl...I'm sure they will soon pack it w/ a throw away one *sigh*. I also bring my lunch in a reuseable bag w/ real silverware and a cloth napkin....my co workers have long since stopped giving me funny looks and I think it makes lunch nicer.

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.
#20 of 67 Old 02-17-2002, 01:15 PM

I am going to the grocery store to get some bulk items. I will do a little sightseeing while I'm there. Hope I can find some food!!!

I went to the commissary in Japan on the AF Base when I went there to have DS #1 (interesting field trip in itself). I wandered around for a while because I couldn't find any FOOD. I finally gave up and ate soba noodles and veggies every day at the officer's mess and went out for (safe) sushi and developed a commerical relationship with the old fruit guy who came to base twice a week. I did get some Cheerios and milk and bananas for breakfasts though. Easy to eat while nursing, well, relatively so.

In officer training school I had a food waiver, no kidding! The food they served in the mess hall was horrible. All starch. So in my briefcase along with training materials, I had fruit, and cheese, and natural PB and whole weat crackers and packets of oatmeal. I was allowed to eat these things on break after I passed out during classes due to unstable blood sugar. I can't believe the stuff we feed our highly trained defenders. It's horrible. In the snack machines they had only candy bars and in the soda machines only sugary sodas. I hope that has changed somewhat in the past decade or so.

To their credit, they do serve alternate proteins in the chow hall at Lackland, like rabbit!

Sarah
#21 of 67 Old 02-17-2002, 06:42 PM

Oh, it's definitely not just you! I can't stand the whole food-as-entertainment thing. My dd eats well and enjoys a variety of healthy foods and occasional sweet treats, and that works for us. I don't think food should be seen as a toy. It's like the corporations think children need to be tricked into eating.

The "contains vitamins" marketing ploy really ticks me off, too. So many people are so ignorant of basic nutrition that they actually think they are giving their kids something healthy just because the label says it contains calcium or vitamin c or whatever. It seems like calcium is the big one these days - you see the word emblazoned in large letters on all sorts of junky snacks and cereals. It amazes me how many people I know buy into this.

Dd has occasionally asked for something in the grocery store because of the packaging or bright color (blue applesauce, ugh! It had "Blue's Clues" on it), and I've explained to her that it is junky and not healthy for our bodies. She's fine with that, at least for now!
#22 of 67 Old 02-17-2002, 06:54 PM

I am so glad you ladies think the same way I do about these things. I just started reading fast food nation. I read a book a while ago called something like "how the food we eat is ruining our children and making you crazy" Interesting. I saw the other day on a can of spaghettios, "a good source of calcium" HA!

I've been looking for preschools for ds, one of the schools gives out cheese puffs for snacks every day, one had a list of supplies they like for families to bring at the start of each year. Know what was on the bottom of the list? 8 PACKETS OF KOOL AID!!!!! The last school I went to said it has a no sugar policy.

truly sarah, can I come to your house for dinner?

jtsmom
#23 of 67 Old 02-17-2002, 07:05 PM

jtsmom- the schools are really feeding PRESCHOOLERS that crap???? Oh wow. Things have really changed since I left... My French dh always says (of things like cheese puffs and that cheese sauce they use at fast food places), "Anything THAT color isn't cheese!" Kool-Aid?? and I thought too much juice wasn't good for them...

I am so shocked!!
#24 of 67 Old 02-17-2002, 07:39 PM

I was watching a morning program this past week while I was in bed with a migraine and they were showing a new item that is coming to market soon - FLAVORED FRENCH FRIES AND "TATER TOTS". One of them was actually blue - really blue! I can't remember what that "flavor" was. But, I think one of them was a sour cream and chives kind and another was chocolate. YUCK! They said the company (I don't remember which) was trying to make potatoes more palatable for kids. Are they kidding or what? Try it with brocolli, zuchini, or brussel sprouts maybe. But, greasy, starchy french fries and tater tots. What is this world coming to?

My dd goes to pre-school twice a week and I give her a "snack" to take with her so she doesn't eat the snack that is provided. It works really well and she has never said she wants what the other kids are having or feels left out. Even if one of the kids is celebrating a birthday and the snack mom provides ice cream, the teachers have a pint of Soy Delicious in the freezer so my dd can celebrate with them. For the most part, they do provide a healthy snack, but they allow dairy, wheat, refined sugar and flour products and we just don't do that stuff. I've noticed that a lot of people are under the impression that the sugar is the culprit and all the other stuff is okay.

Here's to healthy eating!!! Love and Light!!
#25 of 67 Old 02-17-2002, 07:59 PM

CHOCOLATE FRENCH FRIES!!!

What will they think up next? Sometimes I wonder why we're thinking of moving back to the States, and I really wonder what I'll feed my family when we do. Actually, I think dh wants to move there so he can educate people on "real food"(he wants to be a rent-a-chef). Ahh, French cooking. Unfortunately, they're starting to pick up our bad habits...
#26 of 67 Old 02-17-2002, 08:49 PM

katchup wouldn't be "red" if they didn't put red dye in it
it would be sort of reddish/brown/orange (the color of insides of tomatoes and stuff)

i don't mind a little food coloring myself.

green is a "healthy" color! : )
#27 of 67 Old 02-17-2002, 10:52 PM

sleepies- Your kidding right.

"katchup wouldn't be "red" if they didn't put red dye in it
it would be sort of reddish/brown/orange (the color of insides of tomatoes and stuff)"

Tomatoes come in a variety of colors. But the ones used commercially really are red. No dye needed. Check out at natural food store. Lots of natural ketchups with no added color. Even my mother's homemade ketchup was red.

Of course, with the variety of heirloom tomatoes out there, you could make yellow, green or purple natural ketchup too. I made 'purple' salsa last summer.
#28 of 67 Old 02-17-2002, 11:17 PM

Wow, this thread is sooo gross. I can't believe all the horrible things that people want us to feed our children. This world scares me sometimes. Where are we heading with all this?

~Jennifer
#29 of 67 Old 02-17-2002, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PumpkinSeed
I wonder how safe all those artifical colorings are...

Not at all. Despite what the FDA says-and it only labels things as GRAS (Generally Recognized As Safe)-I don't buy it. Red dye to my son, and yellow dye for me, is like shoving uppers in the poor dear. He goes berserk. I'd be willing to bet ADD would decrease a good 80% if all that colored and corned crap were eliminated from our children's diets!!
#30 of 67 Old 02-18-2002, 12:50 AM

OK, I don't dictate anything to my mil, she so rarely sees the boys. They get sugar cereal and lots of juice there. It lasts a day or so. My mother eats like us--hardly any prepared foods--so that is not an issue.
Oldest DS likes to hate anything on a commercial, and the two of us are slowly reprograming DS2 to distrust commercials, too. It's fun.
I find that eating fewer prepared foods is simply cheaper. I don't shun MSG, but it's not a staple, either. Ditto for food colors, but we're not especially sensitive to these types of things either.
I do want to brag that our sons' school has a NO POP/SODA policy--if the kids bring it, it gets thrown away. Ditto for any candy in their lunches. They send home a snack suggestion list for the preschoolers--all really healthy foods.
But what irritates/angers me the most is the way Coke and Pepsi contract in schools for free stuff---now we have all these kids drinking pop all day instead of water, and being sujected to false advertising. Pepsi/Coke can't "quench your thirst"--it has too much caffeine! It dehydrates you! GRRR, this really pisses me off more than TV advertising.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page