Ways to eat kimchi? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-23-2007, 04:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How do you eat your kimchi? What do you serve it with? I've been reading up on how good it is for health and all that, but for some reason, it doesnt seem to go well with most dishes, or is it just me?

I dont make my own, I buy from this store that makes (or so they say they so) fresh kimchi, so I cant alter the spiciness. As much as I like kimchi, I cant eat more than a few leaves without hyperventilating due to the spiciness Does your tastebud 'get used' to the spiciness after a while?
#2 of 9 Old 03-23-2007, 04:35 AM

In Korean restaurants, it's usually served with meat and rice. I always take a piece of meat, top it with a piece of kimchi, pop it in my mouth, followed by a bite of rice.

As a kid, my dad used to make him and I (the only ones who like kimchi) kimchi sandwiches, sourdough bread, mayo and kimchi. Yum.

Eating it by itself is asking for burning tastebuds, fat (mayo, meat) can coat your mouth to kind of "protect" it from the heat, and the carb (rice, bread) helps "absorb" the heat.

I love the stuff, but after a tour in Korea, DH hates it, so I can't have it in the house.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#3 of 9 Old 03-23-2007, 04:48 AM

I always eat mine with hot rice and a little bit of tuna, or small side of fish.

Yum. I love kim chee - I try to eat a little bit every day.
#4 of 9 Old 03-23-2007, 04:49 AM

with rice, some steamed bok-cho, meat, and nori

cold.gifme + headscratch.gif him and one littlecat.gifPaco the Taco hoping for one of these  makebabe.gifin the near future

#5 of 9 Old 03-23-2007, 04:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We eat kimchi all the time in Hawaii. It's quite popular. Kimchi goes well with Korean dishes like barbecued meat.

Much as I like spicy food, I would not eat kimchi by itself. DH and I eat it with rice and whatever protein we're having.

My friend likes to make a sandwich of sliced turkey and kimchi on whole wheat bread.

You can make kimchi fried rice. It's a popular dish at our local Big City Diner. Just add finely chopped kimchi cabbage to the usual fried rice ingredients. Some people like to top it off with a fried egg.

Speaking of eggs, you can also make kimchi omelettes with small pieces of kimchi cucumber.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#6 of 9 Old 03-23-2007, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I love it in some warm chicken broth and kelp noodles. That's my low-carb version of ramen.
spiderdust likes this.

#7 of 9 Old 03-23-2007, 11:46 PM

I like it w/ rice and in soup/ramen. If you have a Korean store nearby there's a pancake type mix and you can have kim chi pancakes...YUM!
#8 of 9 Old 03-24-2007, 02:26 AM

With a gas mask?

I like kimchi in cooked things, like dumplings, ramen and pancakes, but raw the odor is just too overwhelming... and I'm used to the kind of stink that other Asian pickled stuff gives off.
#9 of 9 Old 03-24-2007, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WC_hapamama View Post
With a gas mask?

That's the reaction I get from DH.

Traditionally, the kimchi is made fresh every year when the harvest comes in, and the longer it sits, the more "pungent" it gets from the fermentation. When it is fresh, it's actually very mild (as opposed to pungent, still quite hot), but by the end of the winter, it's pretty rank. DH had a Korean roommate when he was stationed there, and I guess rank was what the guy kept around... so now I'm not allowed even the fresh stuff.

A lot of restaurants actually make their own, so it's always pretty fresh. If you can find it fresh (or make it), it's just a spicy pickle.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page