Looking for oatmeal breakfast/granola bar recipe? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 03-27-2007, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My kids love the store bought granola bars. Especially with chocolate chips, go figure on that one. I would like to make them at home. Making them more economical to make as oppose to buying them and of course more healthy.

Suggestions?

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#2 of 12 Old 03-27-2007, 12:19 PM

:

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#3 of 12 Old 03-27-2007, 12:33 PM

My mom used to make these things she called "nutritious crispy bars" They were more or less a mix of butter, honey, oats and various nuts and seeds. She spread them in a greased pan and baked them. When they were hot and bubbly she sprinkled carob chips on top and when they had melted she spread them out to form a layer on top. When it was cool she cut them into bars.

I'll email her and see if she still has the recipe somewhere. She hasn't made them in years.

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
#4 of 12 Old 03-27-2007, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! That would be awesome.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#5 of 12 Old 03-27-2007, 02:36 PM

This is a family favorite, even with Dh, who usually shuns sweet stuff. The kids go nuts with it..I have to hide the pan while it cools!

Cereal/Granola Bar Supreme

In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients:

5 cups total of any favorite cereals or just use all rolled oats

(A personal favorite (especially with kids) is to use 2 cups organic chocolate puffed rice cereal, 2 cups organic corn flakes and 1 cup organic rolled oats)

Add in 1 cup organic, unbleached wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 cup Rapadura (whole, natural sugar)

Then in a seperate bowl I mixed the wet ingredients:

2/3 cup melted (or very very soft) Virgin Coconut oil
1/2 cup Raw Agave Syrup (could use honey)
3 tsp organic vanilla extract (could use just one, but I LOVE vanilla flavor)

Then I blended the wet with the dry to coat everything well.

Then I added in about 1 cup mini chocolate chips. I've also addded in unsweetened coconut flakes and dried cherries in the past. Use your imagination for what ever flavors you like (raisins, nuts, seeds, etc).
Just mix in well to coat everything.

I spread this mixture in a lightly greased (with coconut oil) 9x13 'sheet' pan and gently pressed it down a bit and then baked it for 22 minutes *until nicely golden brown* at 325 deg F.

You need to let it cool really well, or the chocolate is really gooey (hehe, not a bad thing, just more messy to eat and the bars tend to fall apart...more like a 'topping' for yogurt / ice cream). If you want it to cool faster, you can refrigerate it for a bit.

When it's solid enough, it slices into 'bar' shapes really well and they will keep wrapped in wax paper or plastic wrap for 'on the go' eating.

This is REALLY really good stuff, a bit sweet, but you can reduce the Rapadura after you've made to play around with sweetness.

Good Eating!
#6 of 12 Old 03-27-2007, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Yum! I can't wait to try this.

#7 of 12 Old 03-27-2007, 03:48 PM

where do you get Rapadura? I want to try this recipe

-sarah-
mom to three, 4 and under.
#8 of 12 Old 03-27-2007, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksera05 View Post
where do you get Rapadura? I want to try this recipe
I found it at Whole Foods. It came in a box...I think it's minimally refined cane sugar (it maintains minerals and has more flavor than regular sugar...kinda molasses-sy )

HTH
#9 of 12 Old 03-27-2007, 08:28 PM

:
#10 of 12 Old 03-27-2007, 10:50 PM

I made these, courtesy of mamabear18, and they were SOOOO good. Except I don't think I can make them again, because they're loaded with nut butter (I used almond), and I ate practically the whole darn batch

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...70&postcount=3

They're much denser than the store-bought ones, but much healthier, of course.

HTH!

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#11 of 12 Old 03-27-2007, 11:47 PM

I have the 'nut butter' recipe somewhere...and YES..they are too delicious. I also use almond butter.

I see that Rapunzel (brand name) is making the Rapadura sugar in the 'zip lock' top bags now.

If you can't find that, just use any other 'succanant' (whole cane sugar).

You can also just leave out the Rapadura, if you are using a cereal mix that is a bit sweet already. The agave/honey usually gives it enough of a sweetness....but the Rapadura is loaded with vit./minerals.

I will try to find the nut butter one. OH, you can go to the top of the forum, and under 'forum tools', just search granola bars.....it'll keep you busy for days....

#12 of 12 Old 03-28-2007, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiannon Feimorgan View Post
My mom used to make these things she called "nutritious crispy bars" They were more or less a mix of butter, honey, oats and various nuts and seeds. She spread them in a greased pan and baked them. When they were hot and bubbly she sprinkled carob chips on top and when they had melted she spread them out to form a layer on top. When it was cool she cut them into bars.

I'll email her and see if she still has the recipe somewhere. She hasn't made them in years.
Sorry, she couldn't find it. Hmmmmmm now that I'm thinking about it, I'm going to have to try and recreate it!

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page