If I freeze homemade yogurt & nuke it to defrost, is it killing all the good stuff? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-29-2007, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I make homemade whole milk yogurt for DS, who loves it! But it's a pain to make it every few days, so I'm wondering if I can freeze this food-cube style like I do his fruits & veggies. I guess I could let it manually defrost in the fridge, but that takes discipline and planning that isn't easy to come by these days - we're packing to move, so I need to make it easy on myself!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 03-30-2007, 01:01 AM

Yes, nuking it would damage it. Furthermore, defrosting in the microwave is really inefficient. A microwave works by exciting free water molecules. When the item is frozen, no water molecules are free. The microwave basically does nothing until a little water on the surface of the item thaws naturally, then it works on that spot until it eventually thaws the item; that's why you get cooked spots on the outside of things you defrost in the microwave.

For such a small volume, I suggest thawing it in warm water. It wouldn't take long, maybe 15 minutes. You could put the yogurt ice cube in a baggie and immerse it in a cup of water. Or, freeze the yogurt in baby food jars or small cups that can be immersed in water as they are.
#3 of 5 Old 03-30-2007, 12:24 PM

Or, use an egg poacher! That's how I cook all dd's food--no nuking here! This would kind of be like a double boiler, which you could create yourself. It really doesn't take very long this way, just make sure it doesn't get too hot to kill the good stuff!
#4 of 5 Old 03-30-2007, 06:24 PM

Not only will it kill the good bacterial colonies (by exploding the water molecules in the cellular structure)...

There have been studies that microwaving food actually changes the molecular structure of the food (esp. proteins) and can cause harmful changes.

Dr. Mercola has an info page on just that. Here is a quote regarding heating baby foods in the microwave:

Quote:
Dr. Lita Lee of Hawaii reported in the December 9, 1989 Lancet:

"Microwaving baby formulas converted certain trans-amino acids into their synthetic cis-isomers. Synthetic isomers, whether cis-amino acids or trans-fatty acids, are not biologically active.

Further, one of the amino acids, L-proline, was converted to its d-isomer, which is known to be neurotoxic (poisonous to the nervous system) and nephrotoxic (poisonous to the kidneys). It's bad enough that many babies are not nursed, but now they are given fake milk (baby formula) made even more toxic via microwaving."
If you want to read the entire article:

http://www.mercola.com/article/microwave/hazards.htm
#5 of 5 Old 03-30-2007, 06:56 PM

whatabout making more at once. if you are going through it so fast, i'd just make a larger quantity at a time (mine keeps for a couple weeks...)

when i freeze it, i just let it thaw out overnight in the fridge.

mama  to 3 farmboys (, & ) and 1 farmgirl ()

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page