Is there such a thing as salt free ham? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-02-2007, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not familiar with how exactly they make a ham, so I don't know if this is even possible.

If it is, would anyone have a clue where in Edmonton AB I could find such a thing, or order it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 04-02-2007, 08:27 PM
AJP

Ham is, by definition, salt-cured and smoked pork, so I don't think you're likely to find a salt-free version.

There is no secret ingredient.
#3 of 9 Old 04-02-2007, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJP View Post
Ham is, by definition, salt-cured and smoked pork, so I don't think you're likely to find a salt-free version.
:

Sorry.

You can find other pork salt free.
#4 of 9 Old 04-02-2007, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Well, there is something called fresh ham which, I believe, is the same cut that hasn't been salted and cured.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#5 of 9 Old 04-02-2007, 08:33 PM

A ham like you are thinking is going to have salt no matter what. You CAN buy a fresh ham that has not been in any sort of brine or cure. When you cook it, it will taste just like a pork roast or pork tenderloin. We buy fresh ham from a local farmer and then "cure" it ourselves. A storebought ham has nitrates and red dyes and all sorts of other crazy stuff in it to cure it. All we do is soak for at least 48 hours in saltwater (brine) in a cooler and keep it under 41 degrees so no bacteria forms, which for me in the southern U.S. means in the fridge. Then we stuff with cloves and rub down with brown sugar and molasses and bake or smoke it all day. YUM!!!

natural living, cloth diapering, babywearing, intactalactivist mama to 2 beautiful boys both born at homehomebirth.jpg ~ ds1 July 8,2007 and ds2 born December 31,2009 and loving my awesome dh!! mdcblog5.gif
#6 of 9 Old 04-03-2007, 07:37 PM

Unsalted pork meat would be a pork roast or something similiar (gee I think someone said this already : oops)..ham is basically "salted pork".

~Gabbi~ Life experienced by me..... Mommy to 4 chicken3.gif,Furry Babies x 2 dog2.gif,and the love of my life trekkie.gif

#7 of 9 Old 04-03-2007, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodearthmama View Post
A ham like you are thinking is going to have salt no matter what. You CAN buy a fresh ham that has not been in any sort of brine or cure. When you cook it, it will taste just like a pork roast or pork tenderloin. We buy fresh ham from a local farmer and then "cure" it ourselves. A storebought ham has nitrates and red dyes and all sorts of other crazy stuff in it to cure it. All we do is soak for at least 48 hours in saltwater (brine) in a cooler and keep it under 41 degrees so no bacteria forms, which for me in the southern U.S. means in the fridge. Then we stuff with cloves and rub down with brown sugar and molasses and bake or smoke it all day. YUM!!!

~Gabbi~ Life experienced by me..... Mommy to 4 chicken3.gif,Furry Babies x 2 dog2.gif,and the love of my life trekkie.gif

#8 of 9 Old 04-04-2007, 12:30 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbi View Post
Unsalted pork meat would be a pork roast or something similiar (gee I think someone said this already : oops)..ham is basically "salted pork".
Ham actually refers to the cut of meat. Most people think of it as the cured kind, though.

http://virtualweberbullet.com/hamselect.html#whatisham

"Ham comes from the hind leg of the hog. Ham can be fresh, cured, or cured and smoked."

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#9 of 9 Old 04-04-2007, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm, so a fresh ham is basically a pork roast? I don't think that's what my parents want for Easter dinner.

Do you think if I soaked and/or boiled the ham in water, beer or something that would take a lot of the saltiness out?

User Tag List