Starting April 17: 30 Day RAW FOOD Challenge (Vegan & Non-Vegan!) - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-25-2007, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You need Telflex sheets for the dehydrator. Wax paper will not work at all. Plus its not really durable.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...sheets&spell=1

Sometimes it does take longer for something to dry if you don’t turn it over in the process. Also, what temp are you using? I try to plan ahead so I wont be too disappointed if I cant have cookies NOW as opposed to tomorrow. Ill dry something overnight and during my workday so unless I have a specific "right now" craving, its not a huge problem for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2007, 06:29 PM

I do have an excalibur also. Mine came with Teflex sheets which I use when I am making fruit leathers or crackers. But even so, drying at 105 * the live foods setting on the dehydrator, I am finding that things take almost twice the time stated in recipes. But then again, I do live in Western WA and it rains fairly incessantly here so the air is always humid.
I would love to have your cookie recipe, Anything healthy to tempt the kids. Right now I make smoothies and freeze them so that they can (and often do) have a popsicle smoothie instead of a meal.

Karen
Old 04-25-2007, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Interesting. I try to avoid teflon. Is this the only option for the dehydrator?

Both the cookies and the ice cream are delicious - they do use maple syrup which isn't technically raw but is in many raw cookbooks. I figure it's nutritious and tasty, so I don't worry about it. You could sub agave or honey I suppose.

2 cups pecans, soaked for 4-5 hrs
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 cup raw milk (or water or almond milk)
1/4tsp cinnamon
pinch sea salt

Strain pecans, put all ingredients and blend until liquid.

Strain mixture in fine mesh sieve. The liquid is your ice cream and the fibrous stuff left in the mesh is your cookie dough.

Ice cream - place liquid in shallow dish in the freezer. Break apart with a fork every 30-40 mins until it forms a slush. It will be the consistency of ice milk in about 3 hrs.

Cookies - Shape dough into cookie shapes and dehydrate on 105 6-8 hrs or overnight.

The ice cream we got from a book, but they didn't say what to do with the fiber left over. We tasted it and said "hey, this is yummy". We didnt' want to throw it away and there you have it!

What do you know about dehydrating food? Does it really preserve the enzymes perfectly? It seems highly processed to my taste buds and I just wonder if it's really better than old fashioned baking, other than the fact that the recipes are all flour-free?
Old 04-25-2007, 08:10 PM

I haven’t found an alternative yet--though I will probably ask around at the raw food forums I visit every now and then. That is a good question. I only cook with cast iron or enameled cast iron so the teffalon issue hasn’t come up for me yet.

I have tried with wax paper time and again and I've had issues. Has anyone else have success with it?
Old 04-25-2007, 08:59 PM

What do you know about dehydrating food? Does it really preserve the enzymes perfectly?

I don't know about perfectly, but all the raw websites and books seem to feel that if you are drying below 115, you are not damaging the enzymes. At 105, lets face it, in many parts of the country/world, the summer temps can get that high anyway.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I think I'll break down and get teflex dehydrator sheets. I really need some tortillas in my life!

Yesterday was haaard. I had a meeting go til 9pm and hadn't eaten since 4. Trader Joe's was closed so I ended up at Albertsons wandering the isles. I got salad fixings but what I really wanted was frozen pizza. With pepperoni. I had my 3rd salad of the day at 10 and went to bed pretty miserable.

What are fast, easy raw dishes that don't resemble salad? I need some variety without a major production!
Old 04-27-2007, 05:44 PM

darwinphish - are you eating enough fats, protein and variety in your salads? I eat 1-2 large salads a day but they are all different, I make different dressings (large batches and refrigerate), use different lettuce: romaine, red romaine, bitter greens, baby spinach, baby mustard lettuce, arugula, add different veggies like red sweet pepper and shitake and "fixings": tamari almonds, crushed raw garlic, "onion strings/rings", hummus, guacamole, salsa, etc and of course, always an avocado. Whatever you want! Make the salad colorful too.

I also fill up on smoothies, both fruity and green.

Once you get your dehydrator together you'll be able to have more variety. Once you'll be able to make bread, you can add anything you want. I make mini mizzas with marinara, raw olives, pine nuts, ground mushrooms, or pesto, etc.

Yesterday I made a cheesecake - that didnt require a dehydrator.

Do you have any raw books?
Old 04-28-2007, 09:50 AM

nut pates are easy as are sushi rolls or handrolls. Fruit salad is easy on the go, as are many nut based desserts. I make several dips that are easily carried and I use veggies to dip. Puddings and cheesecake in individual custard dishes are very transportable too.
Old 04-28-2007, 01:47 PM

thank you for the ice cream/cookie recipe. My SAD Junkfood lovin' DH tried the cookies, (which he eats alot of everyday) and said, how many did you make? I can eat these!!!!!
And my picky 4 YO ds tried the ice cream and loved that. Hallelujah!!!!
Old 05-02-2007, 08:57 AM

Half way there! Yesterday was day 15!!! How's it going?

I'm meeting my goal of 90-95% handily. This week I was 100%, except for one meal: I went to a lecture by Joel Salatin, and they served lunch afterward. I took a big salad (raw except for the dressing) and several slices of raw apple, plus a tiny bit of turkey breast and a small scoop of quinoa salad with roasted veggies. Before the lecture, I had 1/2 c. of coffee with an equal amount of raw milk; that cooled it down to lukewarm so it didn't cook the milk. So that one meal was about 50%. Oh, and I had a cup of white tea (no milk or sweetener) at Barnes and Noble last night - I never know whether to count teas, since they're little other than water The actual dissolved solid content is far less than the drop I absentmindedly lick off my fingers after serving my girls yogurt
Old 05-02-2007, 04:55 PM

I've been 100% raw/vegan for almost two weeks. I lost a few inches, my face is smaller, my belly is smaller, my skin is clear (glowing). I had a bit of a detox (headaches and fatigue) but I'm feeling pretty good.

I realized I didn't notice much of a difference until I took out all animal products and cooked foods. I slipped and had two tablespoons of rice Saturday and I felt so sick. My stomach got bloated and I had a bad reaction. I guess I cant eat rice.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:22 PM

Wonderful! It's really the most painless way to do an elimination diet. I am of hte belief that if you complete these four weeks you will know at ONCE what foods are beneficial for your body as you reintroduce.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:41 PM

Thats how I found out about my gluten intolerance a year and half ago.

I doubt I will reintroduce though---my body has improved so much over the past couple of week, why go back?
Old 05-02-2007, 05:59 PM

I agree, though many people find they want warmer things over the winter. Plus, you may find that you can do meat or fish in small quantities with no problem (aren't you a TF'er?) and it was the grains or dairy or potatoes or something else that was throwing you off. Either way, youd know pretty darn fast! I'm just glad you are feeling better!
Old 05-02-2007, 06:20 PM

I was leaning towards TF but I was gaining weight. I cant eat diary at all. I don't like beef, I and realized that cooked oils are not good for me. I was using virgin coconut oil and though I can eat it raw, heated isnt good. I think also grains (not just gluten) was throwing me off....not sure about potatoes yet. I haven't tried it in weeks. I think the only good thing (to me) about TF is fermented foods.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:38 PM

This sounds like a great fit for you then.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:51 PM

Old 05-02-2007, 07:32 PM

Honestly, I'm not feeling any different. Except my hunger is fluctuating vastly - I seem to have several days where I'm not hungry at all and barely eat anything, then I have a day when I'm ravenous. I look back on the last three days of my food journal, and I feel like it's bordering on the diet of someone with an eating disorder. But today I can't seem to eat enough (though I'm spacing it out and making entirely good choices, of course: kefir smoothie, salad, raw yogurt, raw granola with strawberries and cream, an apple).

I had planned on using more cooked meats, maybe a small portion every other day or so. To date, I haven't - I've had the one piece of sashimi last weekend that I thought was supposed to be raw when I ordered it, but was mistaken; one bite of chicken when I was straining some stock for soup for my kids; and the maybe 1 oz. of turkey this past weekend. I have had raw fish several times.

I know off hand I'll make another exception for Mother's Day, since I always do a big brunch here at my house. But I think I'll use the opportunity for some raw foods proselytizing Perhaps a strawberry soup, which is semi-raw, salad, raw granola on raw yogurt...

Anyway, do you all consider teas in your count? The actual particulate matter in them is *so* negligible, I can't decide if I should count them or not. But I've indulged in them rarely, 4 times in 15 days, compared to 2-3 cups a day before. And all green or white teas at that.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:10 PM

I do drink tea, actually it is the detox tea from Yogi teas. It is based on Dandelion. I take a few drops of Stevia in the tea. For me, the main thing is that it is decaf. But I am on a medicine and the side effects of this medicine are cold hands and feet all the time and in general I feel cold about 50% of the time. Before I started this med, (3 months ago) I was the one in the house always hot.
The tea really helps me not feel so chilled all the time. I could basically drink just warm water, but lets face it, I find that boring.

Karen
Old 05-08-2007, 11:12 AM

Weeeeell.... this thread has been hopping!

Three weeks, ladies! My goal is well in hand. Again, I had one weekend infraction: we went out with friends after a play. I had a salad with goat cheese and non-raw dressing. In total, maybe 3 or 4 tablespoons of non-raw food this week - I'd have to estimate I was at 98-99% this time 'round! Woo-hoo!
Old 05-08-2007, 04:27 PM

My father came to visit this weekend. He refuses to eat Fruits or veggies, says he has always hated them and now at 76, he doesn't want anyone to try and make him healthy. So, this was a bad 3 day weekend for me: . I had to cook for him, and while I made sure I had mostly raw at each meal, I also had cooked food at each meal.
After he left on Sunday evening, I have been hardcore with the raw, but spent 2 days with a tummy ache as I worked the bad stuff thru my system .
Last night I made an absolutely scrumptious dinner, Tomato/pine nut Pesto over Zucchini noodles.
I got the recipe from the hallelujah acres website.... http://www.hacres.com
They have several good recipes there.
Tonight I am going to a dessert potluck at the homeschool groups parent meeting. I am going to bring Raw Sugar Plums with me (also from the same website)

Karen
Old 05-08-2007, 05:35 PM

zucchini noodles and pesto are a staple for me over the summer. Last year I made two variations on the one theme:

one I added sundried tomatoes and mac. nut cheese (so yummy!)
the other I added avacado to make it a creamy pesto

Cilantro and walnut pesto is actually quite good too. I make a gazillion batches of pesto over the summer and freeze them in trays for easy use over the winter (when it's harder for *me* to be raw-I need perks to stick with it!)
Old 05-09-2007, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinphish View Post
Interesting. I try to avoid teflon. Is this the only option for the dehydrator?
This are new:

http://www.sunfood.com/cgi-bin/order...ehydrators&tc=

Expensive though

Heather, ds Dante (12.28.07) and due in April.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barose View Post
I'm going to make some flax seed crackers too but I have a question: I noticed all of the recipes call for whole flax seed. I've always been told that whole flax seeds are not really beneficial to the body; they need to be ground into order for your body to reap the benefits of flax. Do you use whole flax seed or do you grind it first?
Even though most recipes don't call for it, a lot of people feel it's best to take some and grind them so you have a mixture of both. That way you get both benefits and actually crackers come out tasting better!

Heather, ds Dante (12.28.07) and due in April.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:11 PM

I usually grind about 1/2 of the seeds in a coffee grinder and leave the other 1/2 whole. That way I am getting the benefit of the flax oil for my heart and the benefit of the roughage for my other areas... It also helps the crackers have a "smoother" consistancy.
I also add lots of veggies to mine to flavor them. I ven made a sweet one with Lemon and ginger for an after dinner sweet.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:08 PM

Yup! I've been grinding 1/2 of the flax seeds for several weeks now. They actually taste beter than 100% whole flax seeds.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:30 PM

Today is day 25 of the challenge. I don't know here, mamas. I'm not struggling. I'm not finding it difficult to eat this way, other than on those special occasions when I'm out and can't find something truly raw on the menu, but then it's a practical difficulty, not an internal struggle. But I'm beginning to doubt this is right for me.

When I went to 70-80% raw at the beginning of the year, I felt *fabulous*. I really did. Food cravings went away. My blood sugar stayed so constant, I found that not only did I not need to snack, sometimes I only ate two meals a day - not that I was trying to restrict food, but I thought it was amazing that I felt so good on that. I rarely had gas.

A lot of people swear that when they went from 75% to 100% raw, they felt a huge surge in energy and their health quality soared. Well, I didn't experience that. Although I felt a huge improvement after the first step, to 70-80%, I didn't feel any further improvement upon going to over 95%. One might argue that it's because I wasn't truly at 100%. But, people swear they felt the difference within a couple of days - all my few transgressions have been on a weekend day, offering about six days in between. By that logic, shouldn't I have been feeling this incredible difference by Wednesday or Thursday each week?

But, since beginning this, I've been having constant foul gas. Not the painful kind... well, not painful unless I remain standing in the cloud I've created. I try to hold it in until I can fart on the run, or in the wind. I'm back to food cravings, not as bad as I've experienced in the past, but nevertheless. My blood sugar isn't as steady as it was - I'm finding I have to snack in the afternoons, and I'm craving sweet snacks. I've been satisfying that with fruit, raw "bread" with raw honey butter, raw granola occasionally and raw ice cream twice. But, still, it's an indication that my blood sugar is fluctuating more rapidly, which I don't like. While on average I'm mentally satisfied with my diet, I'm finding I can't finish individual meals because I get bored with them really fast, even though I liked it at the outset.

I lost five pounds in the first two weeks, which was cool... I've gained four of them back these past 10 days. At this rate I'll weigh more than I did when I started! I'm not eating any more sugar or grains than I was. I think the biggest carb difference is that I'm using a banana in my smoothie instead of avocados and eating a little more apple. (I switched to banana because I wanted to use avocado elsewhere in my diet, and couldn't afford to be eating two or three of them a day!) I don't think I'm eating more calories, or more fat on average: I'm using the same amount of coconut oil, nuts, avocados, other oils (olive, flax seed). I've subbed a little more dairy for the meat, but not so vastly much that it should make a difference in calories or fat or anything else. Since it's cultured, it's not even so bad in the carbohydrate department.

Now, my original goal was 90-95% raw, with the assumption that I'd be eating a little meat here and there. I haven't been: the only cooked meat I've eaten was at the Joel Salatin lecture, and it was only a few bites. Otherwise, it's been entirely raw fish. If I had to guess, I'd say my total raw percentage has been like 97 or 98%.

So I'm going to revert to my original plan of 90%. I'm going to add back in a bit more meat. I started this morning with a little bacon with my breakfast, maybe 1/2 oz. What I was doing before, the 70-80%, was basically tons of raw food + a little cooked meat + a little bit of whatever I was cooking for the rest of the family once or twice a day (like, a small serving of cooked veggies at dinner, or if I was hard boiling eggs for the girls, I'd have one for lunch). Cutting out that third catagory will bring me up to the 90-95% range, especially since some of the meat I'd be eating would still be raw. Like, 1/2 oz. bacon at breakfast, 1-2 oz. of raw fish at lunch, and 2 oz. of chicken or steak at dinner.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:11 PM

you know, I have read over and over again that the optimal percentages were around 80% raw. I am not trying to go to 100% but only to 80%. The main thing is to be high raw for the rest of your life rather than bouncing on again off again, even if you are only 50 % raw for the reat of your life, you are eating much better than the SAD diet.

Karen
Old 05-11-2007, 02:50 PM

My friend is doing this right now. He is going a little crazy not being able to eat certain foods but he's staying strong. I couldn't do it. I have no will power.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:57 PM

Its not always a matter of willpower. I came to this sick, prediabetic with high blood pressure. I have 3 kids, 2 almost grown but the youngest is only 4. I want to be around to watch him grow up. After making the decision to give this a try, the hardest part for me was giving up coffee, and after the first 3 days, the craving went away and now only comes back when I am pre-menstral and very tired. Your taste buds change very quickly and things that are cooked in general start to taste dead to you, not fresh. My DH doesn't even want to follow the raw with me, but his tastebuds are also changing whether he likes it or not.

User Tag List