Starting April 17: 30 Day RAW FOOD Challenge (Vegan & Non-Vegan!) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-13-2007, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey Mamas!

Starting this Tuesday, April 17, my DH and I are embarking on a 30-Day raw food challenge. We've both been slipping down that dark S.A.D. path and need a boost in our habits & energy levels.

I'm hoping some of you want to join us!

Here's some info I've compiled about our challenge:

Why go raw for 30 days?
Lose weight, feel more energy, detox, habituate to fresh, healthy foods as the bulk of your diet.

How to transition?
Prevailing wisdom says to first ADD raw foods to your diet before taking the cooked away. We've been adding a smoothie every morning and big salads with lunch and dinner. Other people prefer to go 100% raw "cold turkey".

How will I feel?
Some people are immediately energized, others feel lethargic, sleeping, or even get flu-like symptoms as their body rids itself of toxins. Everybody's reaction is unique.

What happens after the challenge?
Anything you want! We haven't decided, personally. Either we'll continue eating 100% if it feels sustainable, or try to transition to an 80/20 raw/cooked ratio.

Is this for vegans only?
We are not vegans and will be eating raw milk, eggs, and possibly fish. Others may want to try the more popular vegan raw diet during their challenge. All interpretations of "raw" are welcome.

What's my commitment?
Check in on this thread at least once a week!

Why start on Tuesday, April 17th?
It corresponds with the new phase of the Aries moon. We are not astrological followers, but I want to start raw when MDC starts it's Treasure Map activities.

Inspiration:
Raw Food Family
Raw for 30 Days
From SAD to RAW

Please post here if you can join us!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2007, 06:52 PM

Think it would be pretty hard to go from the SAD (lots of processed foods, meats, crappy foods) to raw in one big swipe? I can't do things gradual....has to be drastic for me.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:30 PM

babygrant- I do think you should start much slower. Its likely you would have a big detox reaction to it if you try to jump right in.

I'm conflicted because I do eat animal products though I dont eat dairy. I eat eggs but cant get myself to do it raw. I'm not eating raw chicken, but I can do fish. I havent to think about it!
Old 04-14-2007, 12:41 AM

I am going to try this, but gradually is that ok? I am going to incorporate more raw veggies in my diet. I eat meat as well, but I am not at the point of eating it raw. Anyway just a question, for the raw experience how often do you find yourself shopping for produce (weekly)?
Old 04-14-2007, 10:22 PM

I so want to try. But don't know how 100% I will make it. I live with 2 junk food junkies and it is really hard for me to ignore all that in the throes of cravings. I need a much stronger will power.

The other problem I have is financial. I am wondering how much I am going to be spending with all the fruits and veggies. Although I guess I could go to the store more often maybe. What are your thoughts on the financial aspects? I usually eat an NT type diet, but lately had a big backslide into SAD eating. Why can't one get over these crazy cravings for food I really don't prefer now but grew up on and so have such huge emotional issues.

The other aspect is what the heck are you going to eat. Eating raw is pretty new to me. I am a pretty big salad and raw veggie eater. But after a day or two that gets boring. What is everyone going to be eating? Do you lots of books on this diet? Have ate a raw diet before?

This last week I have been adding more and more raw. Mostly in the form of fresh tomato and asparagus salsa (haven't lost the chips though) and green smoothies and salads.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:57 PM

I won't be participating in this challenge, but I am going to challenge myself to eat at least 50% raw.

I wanted to share another site for some great recipes.

www.goneraw.com

Try the walnut taco meat recipe

- Crystal, mom to 4 kiddos expecting #5 very soon . We are a , , , , and family
Old 04-15-2007, 12:08 AM

I am excited about joining this challenge. I am a L/O vegetarian transitioning to vegan. This challenge may help me. I’m not sure I can make it 100% - but I’ll try.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:00 AM - Thread Starter

I'm so thrilled to see so many mamas interested! And, hey, I'm totally happy with each of you defining the challenge for yourself. It could be a couple things:

1. a raw food percentage - i.e. "I'm going to eat at least 50% raw foods this month"
2. a raw food ramp-up - "I'm going to ramp up for 2 weeks, and then eat raw for 2 more.

RE: cost. I'm really not sure, honestly. I'm on a pretty tight budget so we're a little worried about that. But then again our big weakness is eating out so I'm hopeful to save money overall. Our grocery bill will probably go up, but our burritto/hamburger/frenchfry bill will be nonexistant. I hope it all washes out.

If you have a nearby Farmer's Market that could be a good source of affordable produce, although a lot of fruit is not yet in season. You can also buy frozen pretty cheap - I know my Costco has giant bags of frozen organic strawberries, for instance. Trader Joe's is great if you have one - they have raw nuts, nut butters, and unpasteurized OJ.

We also come from a background of trying to eat NT-style. It honestly has never worked for me - I am still tired, overweight, and like you I still have this crazy cravings all the time - mostly for sweets. And I keep slipping back to S.A.D. all the time. Since incorporating more fresh food into my diet my sweet tooth has diminished significantly, for the first time ever actually. It really dissapeared when I started putting a cup of spinach in my morning smoothie.

We don't have ANY cookbooks, but I just went tonight and ordered one on Amazon for $17. It looks gorgeous, and I love recipe books with tons of preeeety pictures: The Raw Gourmet

I can post our reviews of the recipes as we try them.

Another great place to WATCH recipies is YouTube. There is a raw chef named Ani Phyo who's stuff looks awesome. Our 1st dinner will be her avocado soup. Also if you just search "raw food" on YouTube you get a lot of interesting recipes.

There seems to be enough online that we won't really need a cookbook!

I'm so excited to begin! It's going to be a little bit nuts, but I'm excited to see some results. :
Old 04-15-2007, 03:47 AM

I'm starting on a few raw recipes for this coming week. I have a Excalibur dehydrator so its pretty helpful for things like breads and other things I cant eat in traditional form anyway because of food allergies. I am also learning to sprout grains and its making all the difference in the world in terms of digestion and assimilation.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:45 PM

Count me in! I've been at about 70-80% raw on good days these last few months, though I do fall off the bandwagon about 10-20% of days :

Ok, my goal is 90-95% raw:

I know offhand I'll continue to include some homemade bonestock, in otherwise raw soups.

I'll probably include some cooked meats, but I'm going to try to work up the guts to trust more raw meats and rely a bit more on raw eggs/dairy instead of the meats.

I'll include some teas, though I know I should cut down on the black tea in favor of green or herbals (I'm currently drinking two cups of strong black tea a day.)

I'm going to pick up a few packs of wild salmon from TJs today or tomorrow and make gravlax. I'd like to try beef carpaccio, but I don't think I can swing the cost of grass-fed filet mignon... wonder how well it would work with other cuts of meat? One thing that's been holding me back on that count is, can I shave the meat frozen? Otherwise, I'll have to thaw a large portion of meat, more than I would want to eat for one or two meals (at least at the price of pastured filet, I would want to portion that out a little more frugally!)
Old 04-15-2007, 08:19 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
I'm in. DH and I are actually starting tomorrow on the Primal diet, reducing diet, so for a while we will only being eating raw veggie juices, raw meat (DH just spend over $50 on grass-fed fillet mignon to get us started), raw fish, and raw butter and one glass of raw milk every night. DH may well have the odd raw egg Rocky style also. When we have lost a few pounds we will be going on the full Primal Diet which is still all raw but more fruit, dairy and eggs.

I need to get off the computer and start juicing!

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
Old 04-15-2007, 09:16 PM

I just realized... Mother's Day also falls inside this time frame. I will probably not be doing the raw thang for brunch that day, since I usually do a big brunch at my home.

Just laying out my parameters here

I picked up a small piece of salmon to make gravlax. I was also eyeing up some sashimi grade tuna, but didn't buy that yet. I'm pretty excited to get that next week, though. Woo-hoo!
Old 04-16-2007, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome! Dh & I went to the used bookstore last night and were able to get 2 raw recipe books really cheaply. One is even non-vegan!

How do you make gravalax?

Today I'm in charge of coming up with 7 recipies and going shopping for ingredients. We're only going to "cook" for dinner - bfast and lunch will be fend-for-yourself salads, smoothies, and snacks. So far on my list of snacks:

smoothies
apples & almond butter or raw cheese
veggies with cashew 'cheese' (soak cashews and then mix with EVOO & spices)
piece of fruit
handful of raw nuts
1/2 avocado

Any other ideas?
Old 04-16-2007, 05:18 PM

gravlax is salmon preserved with salt, and frequently dill. Basic technique, you sprinkle salt heavily on raw salmon, put a weight on it, and stick it in the fridge for a day or two. If you google it, you'll find recipes for seasonings - dill, sometimes a little sugar, etc.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:19 PM

Hi Darwinphish,
I'm responding here about your question on the vegan forum about daily eating...

Fruit smoothies with almond butter, flax oil, and raw chocolate for breakfast
Any fruit later if I get hungry, maybe some cashews
Dehydrated bread sandwiches like no-bean hummus and veggie or pesto
Raw veggies alone or with a dip
Big salad with veggies and either pine nuts or sunflower seeds
Desserts like raw chocolate and coconut fudge brownies, raw cake, raw ice cream....desserts are my favorite!!!

I also juice a lot...beets/cucumber/kale/parsley/lemon is a yummy combo imo.

I definitely eat more on some days, less on others. It might take a few days to adjust to eating less. I definitely woke up hungry in the beginning, but don't anymore. Good luck and hth. Mary

Mary, Mama to 3 boys! 9/05 & 8/08 & 7/12
Old 04-17-2007, 01:54 AM

Im starting to do this as well, i dont have much experience with
raw meats aside from sushi and egg yolks.

What i DO love about this, is that it includes EVERYONE!
I see so much bickering between traditional foodists and
the vegan/vegetarian group.

It really shouldnt be

I am a traditional foodist but i also believe one
can get plenty of nutrients without having to
eat steak.I really love threads like this that include everyone
its nice to see.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:21 AM

So far I've been using my raw cookbooks to be a bit more creative with salads (I tend to fall into the same old same old salad rut) and its been great. I made some raw hummus, bread sticks, marinara sauce and a strawberry pie. I've also been soaking more nuts as well.

I'm trying to limit grains and cooked oils - though I'm making an effort to include CLO and CO in my diet.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:29 AM - Thread Starter

I will have to try gravalax - that sounds delicious!

Mary - thank you for the ideas! Mmm... you're making me want to eat raw desserts for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

So we had our 'last supper' here tonight - chicken burritos from a local taqueria we love. I feel sort of bloated and sick, but it sure did *taste* good! I figure it was good to get it our of our system so we won't crave it as much for our 30 days.

Any tips on an inexpensive juicer? I'd really like to juice veggies during this month but I can't spend $$$ if I'm not sure we're sticking with it.

DH is feeling lots of trepidation about this, even though it was 1st his idea. : I'm a little frustrated with him, but trying to be understanding while maintaining my own enthusiasm for the challenge. I really hope he sticks it out with me!
Old 04-17-2007, 03:36 AM

I have been trying to go raw, but am only about 70% at this point. I would love to join this to try to up my %.
As for daily meals, I have made up some raw granola in the dehydrator, and sometimes eat it with raw milk. My other main breakfasts are a smoothie made of grapes, celery, blueberries and either a touch of cilantro or some other green(ok, sounds weird but tastes good) or a fruit pudding.
Fruit puddingis made in the food processor, with a base of bananas, then I add a cup of another fruit or combo of 2 fruits and thicken it with ground flax seed. It thickens up really nice, can be made in advance and saved in the fridge for a fast snack. We like to add blueberries and then maybe top with a fresh sliced strawberry.
Lunch is usually a salad, heavy on tomatoes, maybe with a dressing based on a mix of quark and flaxseed oil, or tomatoes sliced and topped with a raw alfredo sauce. Dinner is usually one or two big vegetable plates with a side dish of meat for the rest of the family who don't follow raw. The few times a week that I do eat meat, it is cooked though, but that is maybe 3 days a week a small amount.

I also make flax seed crackers and season them to whatever the rest of the family will be eating and that helps with cravings. I have italian spiced, mexican spice, greek spice, and am working on a lemon zest sweet cracker with raw honey.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:17 PM

All right, mamas, the day has arrived! Breakfast was easy for me, my breakfast is almost always raw anyway : I had a raw kefir smoothie for breakfast.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:26 PM

Me too! Had a blackberry peach kefir smoothie with CO and raw egg yolks.

I am really wishing I had a dehydrator right now.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:49 PM

What are all your views on the digestiblity of raw grains and beans?
Old 04-17-2007, 02:03 PM

Breakfast, herbal dandelion tea, (warm not hot)
flax seed cracker (mexican flavored -dehydrated with onion, garlic, red pepper, cilantro,)
2 bananas

Lunch will be left over raw asparagus soup from yesterday, after our mommy & me yoga class.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nini2033a View Post
I also make flax seed crackers and season them to whatever the rest of the family will be eating and that helps with cravings. I have italian spiced, mexican spice, greek spice, and am working on a lemon zest sweet cracker with raw honey.

I'm going to make some flax seed crackers too but I have a question: I noticed all of the recipes call for whole flax seed. I've always been told that whole flax seeds are not really beneficial to the body; they need to be ground into order for your body to reap the benefits of flax. Do you use whole flax seed or do you grind it first?
Old 04-17-2007, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Yes! This is it!

I'm having a smoothie right now... my mixture is bananas, strawberries, blueberries, spinach, 1/2 avocado, 1 egg yolk, raw milk & a tsp ground flax.

It's creamy like a milkshake!

For myself, I'm not giving any thought to calories, fats, ect. I just have to trust that:

1. its WAY better than what I was doing
2. as my body heals, it will learn to regulate itself

Keep it up, mamas!
Old 04-17-2007, 02:28 PM

This morning I had a spriluna smoothie with org blueberries, a little fresh pressed apple juice and ice. For a snack, I will have no bean raw hummus I made, and curry "crackers" (raw crackers I purchased - Lydia's Organics brand or raw food). For lunch, I will go to a raw food restaurant because I didn’t make enough to bring with me to work today. After work, I’ll go to the farmers market and at home start making flax crackers.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:52 PM

Ther recipe I have calls for 2 cups of flax soaked for 4 hours. I grind about 1/2 of it in the coffe mill then soak it all. After it soaks, I mix up whatever veggies I want in the cracker, usually grated carrots, red peppers, tomatoes, onion and garlic, process it all really fine in a food processor then add the flax until it is all mixed well. Then I spread it on a teflex sheet in the dehydrator and dry at 105 for about 10 hours. I peel it off the sheet and turn it over and dry the otherside until it is crispy.
You are getting flax seed oils from the ground seeds, but you are also getting the roughage from the whole flax which cleans out the intestines of all that dead junk that shouldn't be in there from your SAD diet.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

I'm going to have to try the flax crackers, thanks! I'm making hummus tomorrow so I'll try and make the crackers at the same time.

I bought some flax crackers at WF but haven't tried them yet - they're onion/garlic which is not my fave flavor but it was all they had. My WF doesn't seem to be big on the Raw-prepared foods. But I did also get a raw coconut-cacao bar that was delicious! But at $2.29 ea I don't think I'll be getting it again.

Lunch was AWESOME! Last night I made this really great cashew sauce -

1 c soaked cashews
1/3 c olive oil
1 clove garlic
sea salt
pepper
dill
water as needed

It's this fantastic sweet-salty-creamy combo. For lunch I put it on top of shredded brocolli, carrots, and sprouts and ate it like slaw! I also had an apple with almond butter. Honestly, I even feel a bit over-full, much to my suprise!

I also thought ahead and made my first try at desert - raw brownies:

1 cup dates
1 cup walnuts (not soaked)
1 tbs raw cacao
pinch cinnamon
pinch nutmeg
pinch salt

Blend until a smooth paste.

The recipe says to put in a springform pan, but I just spread it on wax paper and put it in the fridge. It's supposed to "gel" in a few hours. I tasted the batter and WOW it's rich. I think I'll be able to eat maybe a 1" square at a time!

I'm also making myself cucumber waters - blending cucumber, mint, lime, and honey and straining it into a cup of ice. very refreshing!

So far I'm feeling very hopeful that this isn't going to be as difficult as I thought it was! We'll see!
Old 04-17-2007, 08:22 PM

Thanks for the flax cracker info! I cant wait to try it.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinphish View Post
I also thought ahead and made my first try at desert - raw brownies:

1 cup dates
1 cup walnuts (not soaked)
1 tbs raw cacao
pinch cinnamon
pinch nutmeg
pinch salt

Blend until a smooth paste.

The recipe says to put in a springform pan, but I just spread it on wax paper and put it in the fridge. It's supposed to "gel" in a few hours. I tasted the batter and WOW it's rich. I think I'll be able to eat maybe a 1" square at a time!
I use almond butter and coconut oil in my brownies in place of walnuts, and freeze them...in case you want some alternative options. They're soooo rich!

Mary, Mama to 3 boys! 9/05 & 8/08 & 7/12

User Tag List