Craving for Dairy = Some nutritional deficiency? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-15-2007, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love dairy. Milk, cheese, yogurt, butter. And I'm generally ok with that. But I'm trying to cut back to reduce cholesterol and weight, and to switch to non-fat where possible. I like chocolate, I like chips, but I don't crave them like I do cream poured over well anything, or a big glass of milk or well-buttered toast. (Not helped by living in England where there is half an aisle full of at least a dozen kinds of cream alone!)

I do believe that our bodies ask for what they need to a certain extent. So just wondering if this is a sign that I am nutritionally deficient in something?
#2 of 5 Old 04-15-2007, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsmom View Post
I do believe that our bodies ask for what they need to a certain extent. So just wondering if this is a sign that I am nutritionally deficient in something?
I don't see this as meaning you are deficient. If your body asks for what it needs, it is simply fulfilling a need.
I interpret your craving for dairy as a need for good, healthy fats. Is raw dairy available? If so, I would focus on getting raw milk, cream, butter and cheeses. They are oh, so good for you. And yummy, too! I love cream on my oatmeal or over fresh fruit. Mmmm... bananas and cream!
Check out the Traditional Foods forum for lots of good info on the healthy fats in raw, grassfed dairy.

: mama to 4 boys
: : :
#3 of 5 Old 04-15-2007, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'm so conscious of all the "reduce saturated fats" messages that I've been feeling guilty about that part of my diet. And I know my cholesterol is high. That said, I don't eat red meat and eat poultry only occasionally so I don't have too many other sources of saturated fats. I just recently have been able to have milk delivered (organic 3x/week in glass bottles!!) which I love, but I haven't ever explored raw milk. I don't think England has any of the issues with unpasteurized products that the US does, so maybe it's available. I'm going to have a read in Traditional Foods now, thanks!
#4 of 5 Old 04-15-2007, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I agree with Pinky Tuscadero. Try to focus on getting high-quality dairy products.

I still get those cravings too, but not as much as when I switched from low-fat "eating."

One of my cures for the fat tooth is to whip up a drink containing a couple of egg yolks, about 1/4 cup of cream, a bit of vanilla extract, and stevia. It is very satisfying, and makes a great dessert too.

It's really hard to counteract the low-fat propaganda. I like to read up on the Optimal Diet site when I need a boost in morale.

#5 of 5 Old 04-15-2007, 03:25 PM

I diary! It is my favorite food. I love cream, butter, cheese, raw milk, sour cream, yogurt, and kefir. I try to make sure it is all grass-fed and organic.

So, you're not alone.

And I don't accept any of the "cholesterol and saturated fat are bad for us" propaganda. They don't have any proof of that. It's all just a very popular, well-publicized theory. And I think it's an incorrect theory.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page