Healthy on the cheap? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-20-2007, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is there such a thing? I've heard many people say healthy food is cheaper than junk - I'd like to know where, cause it's in no store I've ever been in! We do have local Farmer's Markets starting in May, but I think most of them are just standard. Which is at least fresher, but it's not organic. Is there an online source to buy dry goods cheap and/or in bulk? I've seen lists of which foods to buy organic because they absorb the chemicals at higher concentrations. And some foods don't show hardly any in the testing. Does anyone know where to get this list?

Full Time Mom to 3 boys and 1 girl.
: : :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2007, 04:52 PM

out west here there's Azure Standard which is GREAT for prices. and it is preferrable to buy local/fresh than organic/non-local/non-fresh. So if you have a reasonable farmer's market, go for it!

It IS doable to do healthy cheap, it takes scratch cooking and hard work in tracking down the best prices and sources.

Depending on where you are out west there are stores like Super1Foods and Winco which offer bulk and even organic and are cheap. There are places like Bob's Red Mill outlets as well, and if you have a grain mill, it is worth the money to order grain from Wheat Montana.

healthy pre-made foods=very pricey
healthy scratch foods=much cheaper
Old 04-20-2007, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm, I'm going to need a cookbook for sure!

I'm in Oregon. I've seen Whole Foods, Wild Oats, New Seasons (far away from me) and Trader Joes. I've never heard of a grain mill. How would I search for these places? Not the yellow pages I imagine.

Sorry, I'm very new to healthy

Full Time Mom to 3 boys and 1 girl.
: : :
Old 04-20-2007, 05:06 PM

you can buy a grain mill online (they make flour, cracked grains, etc out of whole grains). Amazon.com and shopping.com are two good places to look. there are manual options and electric options. We're presently using a manual one (Marga Mulino) for cracked/rolled grains and an electric one my parents have (Whisper Mill) for flour.

We were blessed to have driven right by Wheat Montana in moving to Missouri this past fall and bought 300 lbs of grain (less than $100!!) so we didn't have to pay shipping that time, but it would still be worth it. We can't drive there (from Idaho-we moved back) for as little as shipping is.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:52 PM

I read a great quote somewhere that food is never cheap, convenient, and healthy. You can have any two combinations of those three words, but never all three.

Healthy food, if cheap, is not convenient. Also most of it requires planning ahead (soaking beans the night before, etc). But once you get into a routine, it's not difficult. In fact, it's very liberating to know that what's for dinner tonight has already been decided.

Aven
Old 04-20-2007, 10:09 PM

All it takes is some planning... and I would avoid places like Whole Foods like the PLAGUE, unless you go strictly for stuff you can't buy elsewhere. A week's worth of groceries there will cost you $$$. You know like... buy your organic free range meat or sustainable fish there, but go somewhere else for your veggies.

We eat VERY healthy for about $300 a month (1 grownup and 3 kids). We get organic eggs and raw milk locally, we shop the farmers market when it's in season, and the rest we can manage to get at the local mainstream grocery store.

Menu planning and sticking to your shopping list is a huge must!

User Tag List