Tell me,what has gluten besides wheat? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-28-2007, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok,I'm slightly confused here. Is gluten ONLY in products that contain wheat? Or does things like oatmeal,barley,etc also have gluten? What,specifically do I need to actively avoid? There's no *known* celiac issues,just thinking ds has some food sensitivities,and I am trying to eliminate the most known food allergens and go from there.
#2 of 6 Old 04-28-2007, 08:34 PM

Wheat (all varieties: durum, semolina, emmer, einkorn, spelt, kamut,etc), barley, and rye all contain gluten. Oats contain avenin, which causes some gluten-intolerant folks to react. Oats are generally completely contaminated with wheat, however. There are only a couple companies providing certified GF oats (from the field to the harvester to the mill) in North America right now.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#3 of 6 Old 04-28-2007, 10:36 PM

Wheat allergies are a lot more common than gluten allergies/intolerances, so you might just want to eliminate wheat at first so as not to make life too complicated for yourself. JMO
#4 of 6 Old 04-29-2007, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
Wheat allergies are a lot more common than gluten allergies/intolerances, so you might just want to eliminate wheat at first so as not to make life too complicated for yourself. JMO
Should I just eliminate things that say specifically "wheat"? Or all of the ones that the pp mentioned? I'm going to talk to our ped about possibly doing allergy testing,too,but would like to try an elimination diet 1st.
#5 of 6 Old 04-29-2007, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
That is true; but, I would still suggest that she do the full elimination first, then try adding back in the other grains. It's easier to see the effect of individual grains when they've all been eliminated.
#6 of 6 Old 04-29-2007, 02:23 PM

Ditto-if you eliminate all of them and experience relief you know you've done something right. Eliminating wheat for 6 weeks is a pain and if you see no results you have lost 6 weeks. Eliminate gluten, and then add back in grains after you have seen an improvement. IF you regress you know gluten is an issue. Be aware though that gluten is in MANY things besides grains (condiments, spices etc.)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page