When you MUST formula feed... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-30-2007, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
... which formula is best?

I have had double mastectomies, so obviously, without any breast tissue, I cannot produce milk. I am 22 weeks pregnant with my second son and am deeply sad that I won't be able to breastfeed him. My experience breastfeeding my first was wonderful (well, it was after struggling through back to back to back mastitis for 10 weeks!) and I felt like i was in such control of his nutrition-- I am vegetarian and ate organic foods the whole time I breastfed.

Now that I will be bottle feeding, I'm finding very little information about healthy formula. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2007, 07:37 PM

I know there are good, prescription formulas available but are expensive. I would talk to your doctor to see what is available.

Nicole, mom of 3. Mitochondrial Disease.: Epilepsy
Old 04-30-2007, 08:01 PM

I know there are organic formulas but they are marketed for older babies (i'm thinking over 6 months? )
Personally if I needed to formula feed I would use a formula enhanced with essential fatty acids other than that I don't have much to add, but I'm sure you'll find the help you need, there are a lot of moms on here that needed to supplement or ended up straight formula feeding due to various issues
Old 04-30-2007, 08:42 PM

if you do a search, there are a few threads that discuss making your own formula, using a Winston A Price recipe (WAP). You could probably google and find this too.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:54 PM

Another possible option is feeding donated breastmilk. I pumped to donate for eight months and many other women on here either pump to donate or pump for thier own babies and donate the excess after a few months when it needs to be used up.

I know of one family that has fed two adoptive children exclusively donated breastmilk. Most families who use donated milk ime do it part-time and supplement with formula.

There are several threads on milk donation floating around the forum somwhere...
Old 04-30-2007, 08:58 PM

Try posting in Life With a Babe - you may get more input there.

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:45 AM

http://www.westonaprice.org/children/recipes.html
nak, but this is what I would use
Old 05-01-2007, 12:59 AM

you have several months to start looking for donor milk/wet nurses. good luck, i'm sure it is hard
Old 05-01-2007, 01:22 AM

I'm real big into the traditional foods... but I would never ever use the Weston A Price formula. Not for infants anyway, maybe for a toddler.

I would be pounding the beat looking for donated breastmilk. I donated a ton of milk while nursing both my girls, at least 8 oz. a day each time. In both cases, it was private donations to friends. A few donors like that, you could make up the majority of your baby's feeding.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:36 AM

have you looked into Goats milk i know that jeanne parvati used it when she couldn't breastfeed her youngest daughter
Old 05-01-2007, 01:01 PM

I use the homemade formula from Weston A. Price for my youngest and being preggers again I plan on Bf'ing but when I stop, I will also use the homemade formula for the next one. My son's doctors love the formula and so glad I found it!
Old 05-01-2007, 01:08 PM

My sister started out with donated breastmilk and then switched to goats milk when her son was about 6 months old.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When my milk dried up at 9 months I used Good Start. It used to be the one Dr. Mercola recommended.

There are also Organic Options at health food stores you could look into.

I personally would never use a home-made formula. I just would not be comfortable with that.

Getting a wet nurse or getting donated milk would also not be an option for me because of financial reasons. I don't HOW people afford to do that.

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
Old 05-01-2007, 04:01 PM
AJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMK_Mama View Post
Getting a wet nurse or getting donated milk would also not be an option for me because of financial reasons. I don't HOW people afford to do that.
Privately donated milk, between moms, is usually just that - donated, as in free. Milk banks charge, though.

There is no secret ingredient.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaina View Post
have you looked into Goats milk i know that jeanne parvati used it when she couldn't breastfeed her youngest daughter
i know someone who fed raw goat's milk for the first year b/c they couldn't breastfeed. i've heard it's the closest to human milk (??)

mama  to 3 farmboys (, & ) and 1 farmgirl ()
Old 05-03-2007, 01:25 AM

I am subbing, I am always looking for ideas for my moms that can't breastfeed either long or short term.

I wasn't able to nurse my 4th child exclusively and had to use formula. I wish I known about all these choices, it was hard at the time, we weren't prepared.

And about private donated milk...between moms and friends, usually there is no charge. Get hooked up with some breastfeeding/ap groups where people won't fall over in shock at the suggestion. milk banks charge, but I know lots of people that have nursed other babies or donated milk, I gave away tons because over a year, I pumped 3-4 times per week and my baby wanted no part of "that" milk, only straight from the tap, so I froze it and gave it to another mom who needed it.

Good luck! There are some threads for moms who can't breastfeed, you'll get some support, advice there.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMK_Mama View Post
When my milk dried up at 9 months I used Good Start. It used to be the one Dr. Mercola recommended.

There are also Organic Options at health food stores you could look into.

I personally would never use a home-made formula. I just would not be comfortable with that.

I wouldn't either if I didn't know the nutritional values of it. People just don't throw their kids on homemade formula without researching it. We waited until my son was on the homemade formula for 1 month before doing labwork. His labs came back better than they ever had before. He was on Calcium Carbonate since birth due to low calcium, but came off sometime after starting the homemade formula. He also came off of iron as well. So don't knock something you know nothing about. I was more comfortable knowing that my special needs son was getting better nutrition from the homemade formula and was not being filled with neurotoxins from commercial formula. I researched both sides and found that the homemade formula altough more work to make, was worth the time and effort & money. My son was worth it. Breastfeeding wasn't an option I had, so homemade was the way to go.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krismarie View Post
i know someone who fed raw goat's milk for the first year b/c they couldn't breastfeed. i've heard it's the closest to human milk (??)
When my son, now 5, stopping nursing we put him on raw goats milk. He did wonderful on it (cows milk allergies). Now that we have dairy goats ourselves just makes things so much easier than having to hunt down goats milk in a state that says its illegal and they are tightening the reins so it is much harder than it was years ago.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:54 AM

I can't help on the formula, but go check out www.milkshare.com for mom-to-mom donation. And since you're in a city, your chances of a local donation go up. I donated for 6 months to a local mom, and it was super easy.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:28 AM

Either donated milk (jsut find nursing mamas in your area) or make it. I did both with my ds as I couldn't find enough donated. With dd I found enough donated so I didn't need to. You CANNOT use plain goat's milk, but there are good recipes out there.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:41 PM

Old 05-09-2007, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
Either donated milk (jsut find nursing mamas in your area) or make it. I did both with my ds as I couldn't find enough donated. With dd I found enough donated so I didn't need to. You CANNOT use plain goat's milk, but there are good recipes out there.
Yeah, plain goat's milk is low in iron, thus why adding grated liver is good or any other iron supplement. Fortunately, we didn't have an issue since the goats we got the milk from drank water high in iron (well water), thus when their milk was tested the iron was actually great and so when my son got his iron tested his was also wonderful.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
another vote for donated breastmilk. I make enough milk for a small village...I have donated to two different families during my five years of lactating. ALWAYS free of charge--I'd never dream of charging for something that I make anyway, and changes the outcome of a child's life for the better...breastmilk is alive...I couldn't charge for something alive.

For instance, I pumped every time I nursed my son and donated it to my best friends' child, who had the same allergies my son did, and her mom couldn't nurse. For about a year, I pumped enough that she didn't need formula at all. Again, I make enough milk for a small village, but I am sure that you could probably find a couple of mamas in your area willing to donate, and that might make up enough that you wouldn't have to use much formula at all!

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

Old 05-13-2007, 04:13 AM

Another vote for donated breast milk and/or homemade formula (WAP). I bet you could find someone to donate to you. Personally, I wouldn't use store bought -unless it was a really good quality and organic. Of course, you mentioned that you are a very careful eater yourself, so you probably feel this way too. Good luck finding something that works.

-chelsea dust.gif
Old 05-13-2007, 04:24 AM

Some insurance companies reimburse for milk-bank milk for mothers who have had double mastectomies.

www.hmbana.org or call the Denver Milk bank at 303-869-1888
Old 05-13-2007, 06:08 AM

I formula feed.
All the commercial formulas are the same to me (Enfamil, Similac, Parent's Choice: walmart's brand, which is the cheapest! )

If you choose a commercial brand buy the powdered and NOT can formula. Concentrated can formula stains and it'll make your baby smell funny. Plus you'll get more out of the powdered formula.

User Tag List