what fruits give off ethylene gas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-16-2003, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I read on the WF site that carrots could be turned bitter by apples and pears that give off ethylene. They also said "other fruits." Yall know? I don't want my carrot to go bad before I make vegetarian lasagna! And I got it 15 min across town!

I was reading my e-Mothering and read in the recipes about this forum, had seen it but thought I'd check it out! This is great!!!! I know *noone* IRL as natural as me and its nice to know that yall are here, when I have question and to find out more info on natural cooking.
#2 of 6 Old 06-16-2003, 04:09 PM

You got me curious so I did a google search. This link gives lists of high, moderate, and low methylene gas producers:

http://gardening.about.com/library/w...thylenegas.htm

Looks like mostly fruits are high so if you store your carrots and greens in a separate refrigerator drawer from your fruits, you should be fine.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#3 of 6 Old 06-16-2003, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

thanks, Cathe! Your book looks interesting! I was thinking with next babe, that I *pray* I will get to feed, outside of the womb, I will use fresh and forgo the jars and boxes!

am I making my spinach bitter with my fruit????

course I'm gonna use it tonight....Spanakopita! For the first time! Another vegetarian meal to make, and I like it! I'm picky!
#4 of 6 Old 06-17-2003, 12:16 PM

Wow- you're cooking up some yummy stuff over there. Do you have an easy spanikopita recipe?? If so, would you share it?

About the spinach getting bitter, I read that the ethylene can make greens wilt.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#5 of 6 Old 06-17-2003, 01:05 PM

there was a little bit in real simple magazine about this in the june/july issue. here are the ethylene producing veggies/fruits: apricots, avocados, bananas, cantaloupes, honeydew, kiwis, mangoes, nectarines, papayas, peaches, pears, plums, tomatoes. and the ethylene sensitive are apples, asparagus, broccoli, carrots, cucumbers, eggplants, green beans, lettuce and other greens, potatoes, summer squash, watermelon.

the article "protecting your produce" is really worth reading. i'm glad i picked up this issue, maybe i won't be throwing out so many rotten fruits and veggies now. hope this helps.
#6 of 6 Old 06-17-2003, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

ooooh! thanks yall! This is so *great*! I tell ya folks IRL think I'm nuts!

Well....I must confess.....I was *so* busy making calls about my surgical consult. (have to have a large dermoid removed from left ovary) that I *forgot* to take my phyllo out for the two hour room temp sit!!!! ugh!!!!!

Hummm....I'm sure I can scan this sucker or something....I have one, dont' know how to use it! I'll have to ask dh when he gets home and I can hook you up with the recipe!

I haven't read real simple....thanks for the tip!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page