Which is better, organic canola oil or conventional safflower oil? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-21-2007, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I use olive oil primarily, but it gives a strong, undesirable flavor to my baked goods. I would like to use a milder flavored oil sometimes instead. I am not "up" on oil comparisons. Canola is the only mild oil I can get that is organic. I have heard bad things about canola, so I used to opt for safflower oil, but I cannot get organic safflower.

Which would you choose, and why? Thanks.

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)
#2 of 8 Old 05-21-2007, 10:25 PM

We use organic coconut oil. I know, I know, I know c.o. has gotten a really bad rap-but remember the anti-egg movement, then the pro-egg campaign. C.O. has tons of good fats and is a healthier alternative to other oils, even olive. I love it in baked goods, as it brings an almost buttery consistency, without the guilt. I am super interested in Red Palm oil as well, haven't done as much research on that though. Also when eating cooked veggies, it is good to eat them with a fat, as it aids in the mineral absorption. I recommend fresh green beans sauteed in c.o. and pepper!!!

wife to an amazing hippie man, momma to many~3 DS/ 3DD  novaxnoIRC.gif homebirth.jpgcd.gif homeschool.gif
#3 of 8 Old 05-21-2007, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Another vote for coconut! The refined coconut tends to have a milder flavor, the unrefined, which is more expensive but better for you, has a stronger coconut flavor, which works in some recipes but not in others.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#4 of 8 Old 05-21-2007, 11:28 PM

Another vote here for coconut oil. Sorry I know not much help for your dilemma. If you do consider coconut oil, I would choose conventional coconut oil over organic any-other-vegetable oil.
#5 of 8 Old 05-22-2007, 12:36 AM

I'd use butter or coconut oil...but to answer your original question, I think I'd go with the safflower oil, preferably high-oleic safflower oil, just because I don't trust canola oil.
#6 of 8 Old 05-22-2007, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm. Interesting! So...how does coconut oil compare, cost-wise, to other oils? Can you get it in your local natural foods store?

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)
#7 of 8 Old 05-22-2007, 08:06 PM

Coconut! Or palm. Stay away from vegetable oils other than extra virgin olive. They have far too much omega 6 which is directly connected to heart disease. I know what you mean about that evoo flavor though.
#8 of 8 Old 05-22-2007, 10:30 PM

Coconut oil probably costs more than canola or safflower (I don't buy those so I don't know for sure) but not more than EVOO (or at least the type of EVOO I buy). You might buy a jar of it at the HFS to see if you like it (I'd recommend the Nutiva brand if you can find it, definitely not Spectrum as almost everyone says it's nasty). Then you can buy a gallon of it for a really good price at www.mountainroseherbs.com--the unrefined coconut oil is $28/gallon, and shipping is reasonable as well.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page