Soy milk or Goat milk for cow milk Sensitive Child - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 05-24-2007, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
which is a better choice for a child that has problems with cow milk and yogurt.

Where can I find more information on the pros/cons of each.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 05-24-2007, 05:52 PM

I don't have an opinion directly on this debate because I'm still researching the issue myself but here are some things to keep in mind.

There is debate about giving soy to little boys and if that can/will cause harm because of the phytoestrogens. You can find info on both sides of that arguement. I'm still trying to work my way through it all, I believe there is a valid reason for the concern but am still trying to weigh out the risks, etc.

Goat milk is more expensive than soy (at least in my area). If you find a raw source (unpasturized) source, they say to be careful about giving it to kids under a year but that holds true for any type of raw milk product.

We are considering giving DS some of both. He's been on straight soy and his skin problems from cows milk improved greatly, but now we have concerns about the soy. He likes them both so we are debating that approach and the pros and cons to that. It would reduce his phytoestrogen exposure perhaps to an acceptable level perhaps. I'm not certain and haven't found data but it seems like a good compromise to the whole issue. I'm going to pick up the first purchase of raw goat milk tomorrow morning. We'll see how it goes..

Good luck to you..

FT mom, FT wife & FT employee.. DS - 11-2004 and second DC due 7-2010
#3 of 4 Old 05-24-2007, 10:07 PM

My son cannot have cow milk. I gave him soy and then switched to natrual whole goats. He seems healthier (gained needed weight, slept better, seemed more contented after eating) After more reseach, I do not like the hormonal issues with soy and beleive that soy milk is a very processed food that we now avoid.

Jen

Love your neighbor. Say yes to vax.

#4 of 4 Old 05-24-2007, 10:32 PM

I personally avoid soy....like pp there is just too much out there to make me question it's safety, even in girls. It will probably turn out in 10 years that it's just fine, but for now we avoid it. (In processed forms, we will occasionally eat edamame)

But really? I am keeping DS3 on formula till he's two then not doing milk at all. DS1 has never had milk and is just fine...but I do like the nutritional assurance of continuing BM/Formula past 1 year and hopefull up to 2 years. (DS2 will be on formula forever it seems) But DS1 gets LOTS of fresh vegetables and fruits, and we do supplement. (He has PKU so it's not a morals issue w/ us)

But if I had to choose between soy or goats milk, goats milk it would be.

Steph

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page