Healthy high calorie foods for kids? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-06-2007, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can you give me some ideas for high calorie foods that your kids like?

Our new pediatrician is pushing me to work harder on increasing the calorie intake of my 5 yr old daughter. She enjoys lots of foods, but only takes a few bites of anything (even ice cream or other treats). She's been a small eater since birth and hung around the 3rd percentile in weight, her height percentile dropped from 25-10th %ile though and the pediatrician is concerned that it's because of low calorie intake. She's also apparently slightly anemic (Hemoglobin - 10.2). I think he has a point, so I'm starting her on multi-vitamins and will try to increase her calories.

Because she's healthy and has done fine on her bird-like eating habits so far, I try to take a laid-back approach to this and offer lots of foods (sneaking in olive oil or butter when I can) but not pressure her into eating, but apparently this pediatrician would like to see her up to the 5th%ile in weight and is more aggressive about this than other pediatricians.

Thoughts? Advice? Suggestions for foods? If this has already been addressed a billion times over, could you link me to it?
#2 of 5 Old 06-06-2007, 04:28 PM

I`m no expert, but will try to come up with some suggestions.

Avacados?

Nuts?

Dribble oil over her food?

Bananas?

*Single, attached Norwegian mama to my LoveBug, 2001*

#3 of 5 Old 06-06-2007, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Will she drink fruit smoothies? You can sneak lots of extra calories into it.

For my daughter, I mix 1 avacado, 1 banana, 4oz yogurt, 3tbs olive oil, and 8 oz water. It actually tastes pretty good, I give it to her cold.

familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif nut.gifMommy to my amazing 6 yr old dd, we homeschool.gif, and  27 weeks belly.gifpuke.gifand have been sick the whole time so far, grrrrr!!!!!!!

#4 of 5 Old 06-06-2007, 08:23 PM

Avocado is a fantastic food. Drizzling evoo over her food is a good trick, too. I assume that you're already buying everything full-fat for her (like dairy products). We are big fans of whole raw milk and raw cream (we just made homemade ice cream the other day and it was FANTASTIC, and so much healthier than store-bought ice cream!). High-calorie sauces and condiments like pesto and mayonnaise instead of tomato sauce and ketchup. Deviled eggs. Veggies with hummus dip. Butter butter and more butter.

If she's always been on about the same growth curve, I bet she's totally normal and healthy, and simply destined to be slender. I'd focus more on iron-rich foods for the anemia issue, and just make sure that you're not offering any empty filler foods like white carbs, instead of good nutrient-dense, full-fat nutrition.

Tending a garden of little ones. stillheart.gif
#5 of 5 Old 06-06-2007, 08:30 PM

dd is similar in the eating like a bird thing, except when it comes to foods she really likes, or when she has a growth spurt.

We are big raw milk fans here. I also give my kids butter when I can(adding a pat here and there on something) cook eggs in the skillet with coconut oil. Dd loves nut butters. Raw cheddar from trader joes is fantastic and the kids love it.
Pesto is a fav here. I make it on a pizza and top with mozzarella and various other things like sausage, onion, pepperoni.

Another thought-
While I do beleive in good high fat, quality snacks for growth and development in children-our society tends to place too high an emphasis on food. So, I would stick with your daughters natural tendancy to eat sparingly and just beef it up a bit. Try to sneak stuff in when you can. I really believe children need a certain amount of good quality fat. From plants(coconut) and animal(like from grassfed cows)

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page