Deep fry oil - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-26-2003, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
For a toddler, what is the healthiest oil to fry in? My daughter absolutely loves spring rolls but I’m afraid of all the fat and the oil I use to fry them. I know I could cook them another way but we would all prefer them fried, naturally, naturally...he he he!

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#2 of 6 Old 06-26-2003, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We use Palm oil (Spectrum sells it as Shortening) and coconut oil mixed together. They are both a little expensive, but we don't deep fry often. These oils have a very high heat threshold which means they won't go rancid when heated as opposed to most veggie oils and they have a high smoke threshold - they don't let off smoke. Niether oil contains hydrogenated oils in them!

Some coconut oils have a coconut taste and smell, which is fine for somethings, but if you would prefer it didn't, Omega sells one that is good, but has no taste or smell.

For info on these oils check out this website. They do sell them online, but are kind of expensive. You can get the Omega coconut oil and Spectrum palm oil (shortening) at health food stores.

http://www.tropicaltraditions.com[/URL]
#3 of 6 Old 06-26-2003, 06:09 PM

"Properly" deep frying will help minimize the oil absorbtion.
You can make sure the oil is hot, not been used too many times, and use a heavy pan. The idea is to have it be hot, and stay hot all the way through cooking. Impurities in the oil interfere with the frying too, so if you reuse your oil, filter it, and don't use it too many times over.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#4 of 6 Old 06-26-2003, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Thanks you two. I knew this would be a good place to ask about this. I don’t live in the US but will look for palm oil in my health food store(I’ll skip the coconut oil because I don’t like the smell of coconuts). Great tip about oil absorption and keeping the heat high. Also, I’ve been storing the oil in the fridge and reusing many times. How many times would you use it before changing to fresh oil?

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#5 of 6 Old 06-26-2003, 09:20 PM

maybe instead of deep fat frying them you could try basting them in oil & baking them? might be worth a try! wish i was feeling ambitious enough to make spring rolls! sounds yum! oh yeah, peanut oil is good for high temp. frying too. if you try baking them do it at a high temp like 400 to 450 F.
#6 of 6 Old 06-26-2003, 09:23 PM

maybe instead of deep fat frying them you could try basting them in oil & baking them? might be worth a try! wish i was feeling ambitious enough to make spring rolls! sounds yum!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page