Homemade vs. jar baby food - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-17-2007, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tell me why my homemade organic puree is better than the organic stuff I can buy in a jar, and why I should keep making it.

The jar stuff seems easier to deal with, and more portable.

If it's the fact that the jar stuff is irradiated, then does that make my stuff bad too, because I always forget to thaw it overnight, and end up microwaving it anyway?

(I know about the "finger food is best" argument, but I am more comfortable with puree right now, thanks. )
#2 of 8 Old 06-17-2007, 06:25 PM

I don't know the answer to your questions but thought I'd chime in to say that we made our own (most of the time) with DS1 and did baby led weaning with DS2. When we made our own we did defrost in the microwave. Another suggestion is to put the frozen cube of food into a plastic bag and run it under hot water.
#3 of 8 Old 06-17-2007, 07:11 PM

They can add fillers to commercial baby foods and don't have to include them in the list of ingredients (Gerber's "Bananas" are 50% bananas). They are more expensive. They taste horrible. They are processed and get babies used to the taste of processed foods. The packaging is wasteful.

Your baby is much better off getting the stuff you're making. Keep it up!
#4 of 8 Old 06-17-2007, 07:11 PM

The fact that the shelf life of the stuff is as long as my toddler has been alive, can't be good can it
#5 of 8 Old 06-17-2007, 10:45 PM

And remember the botchulism scare with Organic Best? Also my son didnt ever really eat purred foods anyway, we did self feeding which he loved.
#6 of 8 Old 06-17-2007, 10:45 PM

Well, mostly the jarred stuff tastes "yuck" and it costs WAY more than making your own. I'm trying to systemitize my making by using a lot of little containers (1/2 cup was smallest I could fine) and freezing them in larger boxes. ANyhow, it all fits together and cuts down on the work.

If you are going out then toss a jar or two into your diaper bag and don't worry about homemade on those occassions.
#7 of 8 Old 06-17-2007, 11:28 PM

I might not be the best to answer since we used around 6 jars total with our first kid (we made our own with a food mill) and our second is just now starting on solids, but the jar baby food was really watery and my son could never keep it down. Even the third stage foods were just the same old watery base with mushy noodles, etc. They really don't help your kid deal with a variety of flavors and textures and introduction of real solids will be a bigger chore than making your own baby food.
#8 of 8 Old 06-17-2007, 11:46 PM

1st off to me is the cost. Jarred food is so expensive. 2nd is taste. I really hate most canned foods so I don't want my kids to get used to the flavor. 3rd, I really don't trust what might be in the jarred foods (filler, germs, etc). When I made baby food I knew exactly what dd was eating.

I did make all my own purees for dd, she had 3 jars total of "baby food". Ds has had 1 jar of sweet potatoes that someone gave me. I've done child led soolids with his and the jarred potatoes were sooo runny that I had to mix oatmeal with them so that he would eat them.

When dd was little and I needed a portable food I'd bring a banana, a spoon and a sandwhich size ziplock bag. When it was time for her to eat, I'd peel the banana, stick it in the bag, zip it closed, smush the banana with my fingers, open the bag and feed her out of the bag. Cheap, easy, healthy, portable.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page