Our 28 Day Sugar Fast - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 220 Old 07-06-2007, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMommy View Post
I was actually pretty shocked that my kids had metals in their systems as we don't vax. I said, nope, not possible. But, then I realized that it sneaks in through our foods.
ahhh long topic

A little OT, but when ds was 2 we learned that he had mercury in his muscles and spine, and I had it in me too. We got it out homeopathically, and wow what a change we saw in ds -- the poisoning was subclinical, but he became so much more physically capable after (climbing more, etc). Anyway, we got it when I was pg with him and was working in a dental office -- ambient mercury . And yes, a long topic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 220 Old 07-06-2007, 10:20 PM

nak
wow how do u find smthg likethat out? and how should we treat it?
i'm sure i have it with all my fillings

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#123 of 220 Old 07-06-2007, 11:00 PM

I've actually been thinking of this for a few weeks as I am a sugar addict as well. I'm just wondering how it will impact my breastfeeding? Should I gradually wean from sugar? My baby is 8 wks.
#124 of 220 Old 07-06-2007, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

1) Hi new members!
2) Cristeen and Busymomma you are a WEALTH of info! Thank you!
3) Share that Apple Butter recipe, previosu poster!

Day 14 here---totally blew it today...but I committed to the larger shift in my eating habits and breaking addictive behavior with sweets.

Hugs all around!

~Bean
#125 of 220 Old 07-07-2007, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neveryoumindthere View Post
nak
wow how do u find smthg likethat out? and how should we treat it?
i'm sure i have it with all my fillings
I used to work with kids with autism, and one of the families introduced me to a health counsellor in North Vancouver who is a retired osteopath. He uses a technique called dowsing which is a little out-there for some people, but I have known enough of his patients and seen it myself to absolutely be convinced of his methods. PM me if you want more info -- it's pretty cool stuff, and completely non-invasive. He uses homeopathics to treat stuff, and after the initial 3 hr appointment, he keeps himself available to his patients via phone 2 nights a week at no additional charge, for any questions that may come up, essentially as much as you need him.

As far as the no-sugar goes, I am finding I definitely am still needing to eat lots of salty snacks and green smoothies. I fell off the wagon today, but feel like my choices were appropriate trade-offs given some other goals I am working on. Each day does keep getting better, though. Hang in there mamas!
#126 of 220 Old 07-07-2007, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachellanigh View Post
I've actually been thinking of this for a few weeks as I am a sugar addict as well. I'm just wondering how it will impact my breastfeeding? Should I gradually wean from sugar? My baby is 8 wks.
It shouldn't impact your BF at all. Be sure to eat plenty of fruits and veggies and removing white sugar shouldn't bother the babe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansavi View Post
1) Hi new members!
2) Cristeen and Busymomma you are a WEALTH of info! Thank you!
3) Share that Apple Butter recipe, previosu poster!

Day 14 here---totally blew it today...but I committed to the larger shift in my eating habits and breaking addictive behavior with sweets.
I did LC for several years, only really stopped when we started TTC the first time. So I've done a lot of my research already, and figured a lot of these things out.

I have a planned "cheat" tomorrow morning. For grain, not for sugar. Although the grain is liable to make me crave sugar. My BF is coming down, and the 3 of us are going to dim sum. My cousin was supposed to join us as well, but I haven't heard back from her. But, I suppose 18 days isn't too shabby... I'll continue on the SF and have to restart the grain-free clock.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#127 of 220 Old 07-07-2007, 12:08 PM

Could everyone list some things they are eating for dinner? I am making my meal plan for next week and I'm having a really hard time with it!

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#128 of 220 Old 07-07-2007, 02:39 PM

The other night we had a big green salad with homemade dressing (olive oil, balsamic vinegar, mustard, salt), sauteed squid, and homemade homefried potatoes.
#129 of 220 Old 07-07-2007, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wife&mommy View Post
Could everyone list some things they are eating for dinner? I am making my meal plan for next week and I'm having a really hard time with it!
Last night I panfried some eggplant strips, then made some patties out of ground beef and herbs, seared them, wrapped them in the eggplant, topped them with cheese and cooked them until done.

I posted my dinner from the previous night up a ways.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

#130 of 220 Old 07-07-2007, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
My BF is coming down, and the 3 of us are going to dim sum.
YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wife&mommy View Post
Tonight we had whole grain angel hair pasta with home-made Marinara sauce, salad with butter lettuce and romain, and orange pekoe (sp?) Black tea with no sugar cuz it tastes so great! we made it as sun tea and served it iced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayo de sol View Post
The other night we had a big green salad with homemade dressing (olive oil, balsamic vinegar, mustard, salt), sauteed squid, and homemade homefried potatoes.
THmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
#131 of 220 Old 07-07-2007, 11:23 PM

I did SO good today... then... after dinner... I had a bowl of Frosted Flakes!! OMG they were awesome but I just ruined my whole week I think! I hadn't had them in years and they used to be my favorite. So not worth it though. Guess I'm starting over!

We had hawaiin chicken for dinner though, it was good... pineapple, brown rice, chicken, sweet potato, & green beans.

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#132 of 220 Old 07-08-2007, 02:03 AM

Hello all. I did have some sugar today, there were a few dishes at the restaurant that I hadn't thought about that had sugar in them. But, I'm still doing ok. No cravings. There wound up being 4 of us for brunch and we did share 2 big plates of veggies on top of everything else (eggplant and gai lan).

We went to the farmer's market after brunch and picked up a bunch of new plants, and there was an organic farmer out there with strawberries that were too ripe to sell for eating, she was selling them for jam at 50 cents/pound!! So I got 6 pounds of strawberries that I should be cleaning rather than posting on MDC.

Other than that, DH and I spent the afternoon working on the house, so I'm exhausted but feeling like we got a lot accomplished.

Dinner was bad, but no worse than brunch (pizza).

#133 of 220 Old 07-09-2007, 02:20 AM

How's everybody doing today?

I did really well today, haven't had anything I shouldn't. Had a big omelet for breakfast, the leftovers (of the omelet) for lunch and a leftover scramble for dinner (chicken, sausage, peppers, eggplant, onions topped with cheese).

Tomorrow's grocery day, so it was all about emptying out the fridge.

#134 of 220 Old 07-09-2007, 04:16 AM

Howdy Ladies, we just got home from 3 days of kayaking/camping w/the kids. Wow, that was a challenge re food. We actually did alright but I need to keep working on fast snack ideas. Stopped for dinner on the way home and that, too, was a challenge. They had halibut & rice and dh & I had gyros. NOW, I have nothing in the house. I actually went through a TON of veggies on this trip. I used the kitchen aide to grate and slice a bunch of mixed veggies and stored them in bags for meals. Sauteed them w/ginger for a stir fry that was awesome last night.

I put on a crock pot of beans to cook overnight. Have never done that w/o presoaking so we'll see what happens.

ahhhh my body is still bobbing from the waves today. Time for bed.

Will read over all the posts to catch up tomorrow.

ciao

eta: oh, we found out re metals and yeast by doing an ionic cleanse (foot soak) for the kids. Totally different results for each one.
#135 of 220 Old 07-09-2007, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Here's an interesting turn of events: yesterday I didn't have any sugar....and I did't REALIZE it until this morning! It was not in the forefront of my thoughts for a change.: Wooooooo. That's a new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
How's everybody doing today?

I did really well today, haven't had anything I shouldn't. Had a big omelet for breakfast, the leftovers (of the omelet) for lunch and a leftover scramble for dinner (chicken, sausage, peppers, eggplant, onions topped with cheese).

Tomorrow's grocery day, so it was all about emptying out the fridge.
Wow. You are such an inspiration, Cristeen!

Quote:
Howdy Ladies, we just got home from 3 days of kayaking/camping w/the kids. Wow, that was a challenge re food. We actually did alright but I need to keep working on fast snack ideas. Stopped for dinner on the way home and that, too, was a challenge. They had halibut & rice and dh & I had gyros. NOW, I have nothing in the house. I actually went through a TON of veggies on this trip. I used the kitchen aide to grate and slice a bunch of mixed veggies and stored them in bags for meals. Sauteed them w/ginger for a stir fry that was awesome last night.

I put on a crock pot of beans to cook overnight. Have never done that w/o presoaking so we'll see what happens.

ahhhh my body is still bobbing from the waves today. Time for bed.

Will read over all the posts to catch up tomorrow.

ciao

eta: oh, we found out re metals and yeast by doing an ionic cleanse (foot soak) for the kids. Totally different results for each one.
Wow you sound like you are doing great! And I LOOOOOVE canoeing and kayaking! I need to "take me to the rivah!"
#136 of 220 Old 07-09-2007, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Here's an interesting turn of events: yesterday I didn't have any sugar....and I did't REALIZE it until this morning! It was not in the forefront of my thoughts for a change.: Wooooooo. That's a new one.
Wow, that's awesome! Congrats!
#137 of 220 Old 07-09-2007, 01:52 PM

: to everyone for plugging along!

I just reread the whole thread w/a pen and paper to jot down ideas.

Soooo I need to look up jicama. I bought one last week and am contamplating making Cristeen's jicama chips. I wonder, though, how they compare to white potatoes?

Do you guys eat many chickpeas? I need to make some--what's the easiest way to soak/cook them from raw? I hate to buy any canned foods. I have heard that roasted chickpeas are tasty.
By the end of today, I intend to have a list of quick snack ideas; ie. that I can pull out of the fridge the second a kid says "I"M HUNGRY!"
#138 of 220 Old 07-09-2007, 01:53 PM

Quote:

Wow. You are such an inspiration, Cristeen!
Why, thank you!

That is fabulous, bean!! That's where you want to be. Where you're not thinking about it at all. Wonderful!

#139 of 220 Old 07-09-2007, 02:14 PM

from a friend:
Have you tried wheat berries? Buy red winter wheat (available at whole foods or most health food stores) Soak overnight and then change water (1 cup berries to 4 cups water) bring to boil and then simmer till done - 45 min. Good cold out of the fridge, or mixed w/ feta, chopped veggies, & herbs, + oil and vinegar. Also good as a sub for rice. Good nutty flavor.
#140 of 220 Old 07-10-2007, 12:48 PM

Yesterday went well in terms of my goal of avoiding commercial sweets. The only sweets DP and I consumed were some homemade banana bread and a frozen banana smoothie (we had a lot of very ripe bananas to eat up).

Now I'm eating cream cheese, lox, and onion on sourdough rye toast with a cup of strong coffee (which I actually prefer unsweetened).

What yummy things is everybody else eating?
#141 of 220 Old 07-10-2007, 10:58 PM

Hello Everyone!
I am completely new here. I did not even know about this web site until a friend of mine told me about it specifically so I could get some good info/support on going sugar-free. I am a sugar freak. : When I eat some...I want more and more and more. Cake, cookies, chocolate, etc. I am not picky. I was doing very well for about two months on reduced sugar but then had a HUGE slip-up and really need to turn it around. I know this board was started weeks ago but I am going to start my sugar-free 28 days Friday!! Wish me luck...I just might need it! Thanks for all of the helpful hints already posted. It should make this journey a bit easier.
Jessica
#142 of 220 Old 07-11-2007, 03:03 AM

Welcome Jessica! Yeah, it is soooo hard. Please jump in.

Rayo, your snack made me drool.

We had roasted chicken (sadly not local or organic), baked sweet potatoes and barley for dinner. Pretty good actually and filling.

A friend of mine said her kids love raw jicama grated w/carrots and lemon jc. so I'm going to try that tomorrow.

My kids have learned to love a cup of bean soup for snack. Do you think this is sufficient w/o meats or rice? I'm still learning to find rice subs so we don't o'd on brown rice.

My ds had a HUGE eczema flare up a few days ago but it's dramatically lessened. I have to keep faith that this diet will help his immune system fight it off and his meds (MSM, curcumin) will strengthen his allergy response. We're only 2 weeks in and she said we really have to stick it out for 4 weeks.

And, how about carrots? Do you think they're a good choice for veggies? These are my kids favorite snack w/hummus.

Check out this website (pretty cool):
http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c20hz.html
Just plug in your food to see its nutritional value.

Where is everyone?????? I see we may need to bumpbumpbump!
#143 of 220 Old 07-11-2007, 04:05 AM

Hey BusyMommy!

I don't have any problem with carrots as a snack. If you're concerned, you can give them other things to dip in their hummus, broccoli, cauliflower, endive, red bell pepper, jicama, celery.

I think it's great that the kids are willing to eat bean soup as their snack. Nothing wrong with that!

My BF was over for dinner tonight. I roasted a chicken with some garlic and fresh herbs, made a pan of mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes with garlic and rosemary, and roasted brussel sprouts. Fabulous dinner! AND there're enough leftovers that I'm going to have to freeze some of them.

My lunch was a bean salad I made with some red and white beans, corn, tomatoes, red onion and red wine vinegar.

On tomorrow's agenda is cleaning out my cabinets. I have food in there I haven't touched in a year and some (soy products) that I have no intention of ever using again. Hopefully that'll give me some room to get organized. Other than that, not a whole lot going on here.

#144 of 220 Old 07-11-2007, 04:19 AM

Roasted brussel sprouts...hey, that's an idea! I've been shredding them in the cuisenart and they've been popular. What, just tossed in oil on a stainless cooking sheet? Sprinkled w/salt?

Have you ever made sweet mashed potatoes? I really don't think we'll go back to white potatoes but I miss mashed pots. I actually had white potatoes yesterday in a curry and felt ill afterwards.

Yep LOVE roasted chx. I didn't freeze my leftovers, though. We're always starving here.

So I just ate cookies. Agonizing wait for the kids' noses to be asleep. BUT, I'm the support person for ds. So, yeah, I cheated bigtime but ds didn't! So interesting to see how our food habits/tastes can be shaped as kids.

Good luck w/the cleaning/organizing, Cristeen. That can actually be pretty fun once you're in the spirit of it.
#145 of 220 Old 07-11-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Roasted brussel sprouts...hey, that's an idea! I've been shredding them in the cuisenart and they've been popular. What, just tossed in oil on a stainless cooking sheet? Sprinkled w/salt?
Exactly! I cut the big ones in half and leave the little ones whole. Bake them at 425 for 10 minutes, stir, another 10 or so, they should be starting to turn black around the edges (they're not burnt, it just looks like it). They do shrink enormously when you cook them that way, though. 1 1/2 lbs of brussel sprouts only feeds 4 of us (3 of us plus a little left over, really). It's the only way DH or I likes them anymore.

Quote:
Have you ever made sweet mashed potatoes? I really don't think we'll go back to white potatoes but I miss mashed pots. I actually had white potatoes yesterday in a curry and felt ill afterwards.
I am not terribly fond of straight mashed sweets. A bit too sweet for me. The mix of the two with the roasted garlic, rosemary and parmesan was very nice though. I do make a faux mashed potato with cauliflower that we love, though. Slice a whole head of cauliflower, steam it (I use the microwave) with a little lemon juice (so the house doesn't smell like cooked cabbage) until very soft, mash it with a fork, stir in a little butter, a hunk of cream cheese, a little garlic, s&p. We like it with blue cheese as well. We've been eating this for years. I've converted cauliflower haters (and potato lovers) with this dish. Once you can add dairy back in I recommend it.

Quote:
Yep LOVE roasted chx. I didn't freeze my leftovers, though. We're always starving here.
Between the leftover meatloaf from 2 nights ago, the leftover potatoes from last night, I still have (raw) meat for this week in the fridge, the chicken wouldn't get eaten before it turned. So I'm going to freeze it. It looks like I'll be working again soon (next week) for a bit, so it'll come in handy to have that ready.

Quote:
So I just ate cookies. Agonizing wait for the kids' noses to be asleep. BUT, I'm the support person for ds. So, yeah, I cheated bigtime but ds didn't! So interesting to see how our food habits/tastes can be shaped as kids.
:

#146 of 220 Old 07-12-2007, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Hi guys! I am getting ready to go the lake in a minute, but I will check back in when we get back from vacation! Happy, healthy eating, Mamas!

#147 of 220 Old 07-13-2007, 02:16 AM

Ah, where is everyone? All that extra energy have you cleaning the cupboards and mopping the garage?

Bean, have a great trip!!

Cristeen, please know I think of you several times daily.

Ahhh I am depressed by food. I'd love to order a giant pizza. Instead, making a nutritious & tasty stir fry. I know this diet is working. Ds is soooooooooooooo much better.
*sigh* I am having the hardest time.
#148 of 220 Old 07-13-2007, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Ah, where is everyone? All that extra energy have you cleaning the cupboards and mopping the garage?

Bean, have a great trip!!

Cristeen, please know I think of you several times daily.

Ahhh I am depressed by food. I'd love to order a giant pizza. Instead, making a nutritious & tasty stir fry. I know this diet is working. Ds is soooooooooooooo much better.
*sigh* I am having the hardest time.
'fraid my cupboards never did get cleaned. Too lazy. I actually am re-entering the workforce in the morning. I've been out for over 18 months. I've been shopping for clothes (2 sizes larger , and prepping food, etc.

That's so sweet that you think of me! I'm doing pretty well. I did make cookies tonight to take in with me tomorrow, and I licked the bowl.

But aside from that I'm doing fairly well. We're all going out to lunch tomorrow, I'm told for Mexican, so I should be able to find something I can eat.

I'm so glad the diet is working. It is hard. And then it's not. And then it is again. Over time it does get easier, although I'm not sure it ever gets easy.

Well, I have to go fold all my brand new clothing that I washed today. Don't want it all wrinkled for my first day of work.

#149 of 220 Old 07-13-2007, 03:44 AM

WOW, good luck at work tomorrow! I'm going back mid-Aug. after 4 years away. I'm only teaching afternoons, though, and sharing w/my best friend. So, fingers crossed. Hope your transition goes smoothly!

Yeah, I'd hoped I'd lose weight on this diet but no way. I'm always hungry and we eat so many non-bread carbs. And, yeah, I enjoyed those cookies the other night quite immensely. You, too, it seems....

Yeah, I have ups & downs. I resent having to do this; ie. it's not an option for us. BUT, I see how successful it is.

*sigh*
There's always the alternative, right? Yeah...yeast sucks.

Again, GOOD LUCK Cristeen!!!!
#150 of 220 Old 07-13-2007, 04:12 AM

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page