Old 07-23-2007, 01:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMommy View Post
: YEA Baby

We TOTALLY fell off the wagon today.
Me, too. But I am beginning all over tomorrow. I will be checking in here more ladies! I obviously need the support! ARG!
Old 07-23-2007, 03:18 AM

Soooo Bean...you up for a Round 2? I'm doing a modified Sugar Free Diet for the rest of our lives. : Yes, modified.
I made choc chip cookies today using date sugar, stevia and ww flour. Pretty tasty actually!

But Bean, when did you fall off the wagon? Periodically over the month or just at the end? I actually found the end to be the hardest!
Old 07-25-2007, 11:28 AM

Hello ladies... I'm back after several weeks away, and ready to give it another try.....

One quick thing and it may sound silly, but how do I mark this thread so that I don't have to go looking for it every time??? It gets a bit time consuming, and sometimes (ok most times) i can't squeeze the ime in while I'm at work!!!

Anyway- I'm here now, and raring to go!!
Old 07-25-2007, 02:42 PM

Scroll up to the (almost) top R and click on "thread tools." subscribe however you want; ie. daily email.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:42 PM

Sweet!
(no pun intended, really was my first thought!)

I figured it out..... Subscribed and everything!
Old 07-25-2007, 04:20 PM

We're still doing okay after our 28 days. We have one big cheat/day; ie. today we'll have popcorn at the movie theatre. And, I'm trying some rice pasta today for lunch w/chicken and pesto.

I put date sugar in our steel cut oats to help out the cinnamon.

It's much easier when you don't have to be rigid. Now, to find out how cheating affect us...

Cheers all! Have a (non) sweet day. :
Old 07-26-2007, 11:32 AM

It's three weeks today for me. It's so easy now that I sometimes forget that I'm not eating sugars and have a little something. And surprisingly, it doesn't taste sweet? Why could that be? Fruit still tastes sweet, even fish. But why doesn't the chocolate crap my son opened at the grocery store and they made me buy? Anyone else notice that their sweet taste buds are acting differently?

For those of you getting started and struggling with cravings: mine are almost completely gone after only three weeks! Hang in there! Change your routine so that you are not "expecting" your sweets at the old times/places/whatever. Good luck.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:34 AM

Quote:
I made choc chip cookies today using date sugar, stevia and ww flour. Pretty tasty actually!
I would love that recipe!!!
Old 07-26-2007, 02:19 PM

Oh I'm not creative! I just use the standard toll house recipe and instead of 3/4 white, 3/4 brown sugar, I used almost 1/2c date sugar, maybe 1/4c turbinado and a pinch of stevia (maybe 1/4t.)

2.1/4 flour--I used 1 c whole wheat

I always add extra vanilla

I added almost 1c cuisinarted pecans

They were nice & fluffy so it's something I'll do again
--Oh someone posted a thread here not too long ago asking for a healthy choc chip cookie recipe. I bet she got some neat ideas to cut oiut butter by subbing applesauce, etc etc.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Oh I'm not creative! I just use the standard toll house recipe and instead of 3/4 white, 3/4 brown sugar, I used almost 1/2c date sugar, maybe 1/4c turbinado and a pinch of stevia (maybe 1/4t.)

2.1/4 flour--I used 1 c whole wheat

I always add extra vanilla

I added almost 1c cuisinarted pecans

They were nice & fluffy so it's something I'll do again
--Oh someone posted a thread here not too long ago asking for a healthy choc chip cookie recipe. I bet she got some neat ideas to cut oiut butter by subbing applesauce, etc etc.
Yum!
Old 07-28-2007, 09:11 PM

Ah, we suck. Our diet was over and I started letting in too many foods. Pizza Sun and pizza Thurs (late hiking group) and dh is totally hived & rashy. So, back to the diet. White flour and dairy: sugar. Tomato sauce: inflammatory. Pepperoni, well...not good.

Mmmm baked oatmeal today so I did do a bit of a cheat using regular oats. Beans/rice for lunch. Homemade chicken strips for dinner.

mmmm mmmm
Old 07-28-2007, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

Busy, you don't suck. That's jsut one of the pitfalls awaiting us on this trip. the same thing happened to me.

Once I had a little treat, the walls caved in. Am I even capable of eating sugar and chocolate "once in a while"? A heroine addict can't do heroine just once in a while.

I got off track there. Not comparing that to you, just relating to you with my own stuff.

hugs,
bean
Old 07-31-2007, 08:28 PM

Hi everyone, I'm going to join your sugar-free tribe!

I'm battling thrush, along with my baby, so I'm trying to avoid sugar to see if it helps a bit. I've been trying to follow a sugar-free (including fruit/honey)/dairy-free/yeast/wheat-free diet for a week now, and I feel a little better. Definitely went through the sugar withdrawal/detox...but I don't want to continue to eat this way for the entire time I'm nursing. I want to hopefully eat kefir and fruit again. The only grains I'm eating are brown rice, oatmeal, and quinoa so far.

I've enjoyed reading all your advice with recipes/supplements etc...if I discover anything helpful/useful, I'll share.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:00 PM

So... I kicked off today for good this time (so I say).....

And before I knew it, I'd eaten an entire jar of nuts and a half a pound of cheese......

Is this normal? The last time I did this back in October, I don't remember inhaling obscenely large amounts of really fatty high caloric foods

And I made sure I brought plenty of good snacks too, I just didn't eat them.

Funny too, I don't feel full, and I don't feel sick like you would think I would....
Old 08-02-2007, 05:12 PM

I'm done! I did it! 28 days without sugar! Now I'm off to celebrate at DQ. Just kidding. I'm most amazed by how I don't crave sweets anymore, and when I allow myself a bit, they don't taste super sweet.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:04 PM

Hi all, I just came across this thread as I am new to this community. I am thrilled to find you all as I have been sugar free for 3 days now! Yippee! I did a no sugar, wheat, dairy & yeast diet for 2 yrs about 6 yrs ago to erradicate Crohn's Disease and get pregnant! I went back to my old ways and am looking forward to getting sugar and yeast free again. When I started this time, I told myself I could have some dark chocolate if I was in dire need...I haven't taken myself up on it...yet!
Years ago I used vegetable glycerin to control sugar cravings, just a drop on my finger...it worked fantastically! It's quite sweet and I use it to bake as well or in oatmeal, etc. I order it from Nutra-Pharma in Manhattan, it's less expensive that way. If anyone wants their info, let me know! I live in VT and have it shipped!
Sorry for the long post. Looking forward to staying on track!
Old 08-09-2007, 02:20 PM

Sorry I've been MIA for so long! I'm still going strong on the diet. But adding work into the schedule meant something had to give, and that wound up being MDC.

Quote:
Oooh you mean there IS a brand of W that doesn't have sugar? I"ll have to investigate that.

You have had a lot of adjustments and an even bigger one coming. But, it's all good--you're healthy and moving fwd. :
I have yet to find a brand without sugar. But there is a brand without HFCS. There are actually a couple without HFCS, but only one of them tastes like the "real" thing to me. That would be Crystal brand. If you can find it, buy a couple bottles. I can rarely find it two trips in a row, and I can only find it at Long's Drugs.

Yes, lots of adjustments, and an even bigger one coming. I can't take a test yet, but my body is sure trying to tell me something! Gotta wait until Tuesday.

Quote:
Ah, we suck. Our diet was over and I started letting in too many foods. Pizza Sun and pizza Thurs (late hiking group) and dh is totally hived & rashy. So, back to the diet. White flour and dairy: sugar. Tomato sauce: inflammatory. Pepperoni, well...not good.

There is definitely an adjustment. I'm sure it feels like a kick in the teeth, but take things slowly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by porenn View Post
So... I kicked off today for good this time (so I say).....

And before I knew it, I'd eaten an entire jar of nuts and a half a pound of cheese......

Is this normal? The last time I did this back in October, I don't remember inhaling obscenely large amounts of really fatty high caloric foods
Yeah, pretty normal. High protein and high fat help combat the sugar cravings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendtoall View Post
I'm done! I did it! 28 days without sugar! Now I'm off to celebrate at DQ. Just kidding. I'm most amazed by how I don't crave sweets anymore, and when I allow myself a bit, they don't taste super sweet.
Congrats! Yes, they don't taste as sweet anymore. I've also found that I can cut sugar back in recipes and still be satisfied with them, since my tastebuds are no longer shorted out by the amount of sugar I'm consuming.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 08-09-2007, 11:50 PM

[/QUOTE] also, does anyone else notice that their dh is insisting they eat sugary snacks since starting the 'sugar fast' or is it just mine? I think it's a 'social' thing..like we sit and talk over an iced cappucino or ice cream or whatever..he keeps bringing me stuff even things i havent hadin years..couple days ago he bought me a pack of 6 sunny delight juices saying 'i know how much you like them'!!! HUH?!?!

LOL[/QUOTE]

I just started a sugar fast as well and I swear we have the same DH!
Old 08-12-2007, 01:06 PM

Does anyone have any new ideas for meals? We are getting really tired of the same old stuff here and I'm getting tired of making 2 different things for me and the rest of the family as well! My DH is supportive but he much prefers his favorites, not the stuff I'm making now. DS as well.

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

Old 08-12-2007, 01:29 PM

Quote:

Man, I need to figure out multiple quotes...
Me too. I did read the explanation later in this thread but still haven't sorted this out. There isn't a "+" button next to the quote button in each thread. Am I missing something?

I joined this thread at the end of your 28 days and am struggling to stick to this. I live with two carb addicts, and am tired of making two/three seperate meals. But I truck on with my quest. Hoping to gain inspiration by re-reading this thread and I'm making mental notes of things to try.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrosina View Post
Me too. I did read the explanation later in this thread but still haven't sorted this out. There isn't a "+" button next to the quote button in each thread. Am I missing something?
The button isn't "+", the button you're looking for is "+ On each entry, there're 3 buttons in the lower right hand corner. First one says Quote, the second one has quotation mark (") with a plus sign (+) under it. That's the button we're referring to. Click that button on each entry you want to quote and when you get to the bottom of the page, hit reply.

For those of you cooking 2 meals right now, I would suggest stopping that. Completely. There's no reason to be cooking 2 entirely different meals. Cook 1 meal and if you must cook something additional for others in the family, make it a single side dish. Cooking 2 entirely different meals is prohibitive and adds so much more stress on you. Eventually, that stress may cause you to fail. Honestly, there's nothing in the world that says that ANYONE needs a meal full of carbs, ever. Much less at every sitting. Give them a bowl of mashed potatoes or something. Even better, make something that you only have to cook once a week and can pull out and reheat several nights running (scalloped potatoes maybe, homemade mac&cheese or something like that).

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

Old 08-13-2007, 02:34 PM

Does the South Beach Diet count? It eliminates all sugars and refined foods for while and then you slowly add them back in.

I'm on day 1. I had some sausage and scrambled eggs and a spicy V8 for breakfast.

I did a low sugar/carb diet when I was pregnant with my youngest 5 years ago (I had gest diabetes) and I remember feeling so fantastic, so much energy, no cravings, and lost ALL my baby weight in 9 days. So I know how good I feel once I get past the 3-4 day mark and how much energy I have with my blood sugar stabilized. I was also always amazed that I can eat like a pig basically on protein and fat and still lose weight.

So the only sugars/carbs I'll be eating are veggies, plain lf yogurt/milk, sugar free fudgesicles (I have to have SOMETHING! LOL), and beans. I'm not giving up my diet mountain dew and dr cherry coke zero yet either and no one can make me

What are some of your favorite no sugar/low carb snacks and meals? Have ya'll tried the roasted chickpeas? What about the mock french toast? Those are 2 of my favorites. Here, I'll go ahead and post them in the next 2 threads.

Marilyn,psych RN. Homeschooling mom to Taylor (12) and Lauryn (8)
Old 08-13-2007, 02:36 PM

Mock French Toast

4 egg whites
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 cup riccotta cheese
dash cinnamon
1 packet of splenda (or whatever you like)
butter or your choice
sugar free maple syrup

mix all together in a bowl and beat with a fork
pour into pan like you would as if you were making pancakes and let cook
top with butter and syrup and ENJOY!!!
(really tasty with turkey bacon and coffee)

Old 08-13-2007, 02:39 PM

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
Open 3-15 ounce cans (or make your own) of garbanzo beans and dump into a colander.
Rinse well with cold water.
Drizzle with olive oil, tossing until well coated.
Add about a teaspoon of salt and spices to taste. I use chili powder, coriander powder, red pepper flakes, cumin and black pepper because I like spicy.
Mix well and spread on a baking sheet.
Roast for about 30-40 minutes, tossing frequently for even baking. You will have to experiment with how crispy you like them.
Remove and set aside to cool.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:28 AM

I have NOT read much of this thread, but I want to join. I tried to do this several times last year on a Sugar Free Thread in H and H. I was awful : I think sugar is evil, for me anyway!
Old 08-19-2007, 03:46 AM

Ok, who did it?? I just noticed it.

<---------------------

Thank you, whoever is responsible. Appreciate the giggle. My DH thinks it's quite apt.

Old 08-19-2007, 02:47 PM

Hello Ladies.

Our 28 days is long past but ds is still bothered by candida so we're on a modified diet. Started NAET last month : and actually ordered an ionic foot soak machine to try to pull out the yeast and mercury.

INterestingly, the NAET lady said he tested really heavy for mercury. He's had a few vax AND I have some mercury fillings. She said the mercury and yeast are tied together and we'll never really eliminate one w/o the other.

So, we alternate b'fast:
local eggs/bacon/brown rice
or
Steel cut oats w/cinnamon & stevia

Tons of veggies
I've let in some fruit and yogurt

Oh and we have totally identified tomatoes as bad for him. THey're in the nightshade family (inflammatory) and he'll wake up red, swollen & itchy after eating red sauce for dinner.

Okay, I'll check back in more.

Cristeen--how's the job?
My inservices are goign great--I get kids on Weds. but only in the afternoons.

Oh, eta, going to try the roasted chickpeas today--
Old 08-19-2007, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Cristeen--how's the job?
Insane! This place is nuts. We worked through last weekend, I put in almost 30 hours in 3 days, and we weren't getting home until after 9pm. In exchange, they gave us Friday off because we start the whole mess over again tomorrow. Luckily I only have a couple weeks left. They may extend my contract into September, but if they do it'll be part-time, since I can't do any schoolwork as it is right now.

The diet is going well. I've had a few minor cheats, but no binges. It seems to do the trick for me, though. I am losing weight and my body is responding to the diet better than it ever did to the drugs.

Made a lamb stew last night for this week's lunches. Just lamb, potatoes, onions and carrots. Seasoned it with cardamom, cumin, allspice, cinnamon and cayenne. Turned out really yummy.

Not much else going on around here.

Old 08-19-2007, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Oh and we have totally identified tomatoes as bad for him. THey're in the nightshade family (inflammatory) and he'll wake up red, swollen & itchy after eating red sauce for dinner.
Ooo... does that mean no potatoes, peppers or eggplant, too? (all nightshades)

User Tag List