Our 28 Day Sugar Fast - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 220 Old 06-25-2007, 02:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Want to join me? I want to be in control, not a slave to sugar. Okay, chocolate addict here. That is no joke. The other day I junked out on so many brownies I felt a dizzy sensation. That's when I finally payed attention.

I have been reading some Buddhist writings about truly being present, about loving your body and each individual organ. Being mindfully present to each part of your body, mind, and spirit.

So I am devoting this thread to my pancreas!

Thank you for all of the sugar-neutralizin' over the last forty years.

I am grateful, dear pancreas, and so I dedicate the next 28 days to you.

So far, so good. I am drawing a heart on the kitchen chalkboard every time I get to the end of a sugar-free day.

Wish me luck you guys!

Anyone want to join me and post how you are doing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 220 Old 06-25-2007, 02:03 AM - Thread Starter

Days one and two: Went to the river, did really well. Allowed myself to eat as much and as often as I needed, as long as no sugar was consumed. Oh, and also laying off any alcohol this next 28 days (one complete moon cycle).
#3 of 220 Old 06-25-2007, 02:07 AM - Thread Starter

Today is actually day three of my sugar fast. My family got italian ice and I ordered a sugar-free one, but really wasn't even into it, so I threw it away.

I realize how often I want to have a couple of hershey kisses or a cookie... but it seems like it is out of boredom or a need to hide away. Trying to pay attention to what I am feeling.

This afternoon I got mildly dizzy. I think it could have been I was a little dehydrated and am nursing...plus it was hot and I had on a sweater.

I am wondering if my body is not used to such a reduction in sugar and no real need for the amount of insulin it was having to produce to counteract my chocolate binges every day before now.

Bean
#4 of 220 Old 06-25-2007, 02:23 AM

I'm on Day 5 myself. I went on a total binge after my birth 2 months ago, and now have to work on cleaning my system back out again.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#5 of 220 Old 06-25-2007, 02:28 AM

How did I miss you all earlier?

I'm in. When you say no sugar I am assuming you mean refined sugar -- but sugar in an apple, for instance, would be ok.

I'm assuming this because otherwise I'll get reallly cranky.

How are you doing today? I'll post tomorrow and see how it goes.
#6 of 220 Old 06-25-2007, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purposefulmother View Post
I'm in. When you say no sugar I am assuming you mean refined sugar -- but sugar in an apple, for instance, would be ok.
That's the premise I'm working under. I'm still eating fruit and small amounts of honey or maple syrup. But all refined sugars are gone. I've also eliminated grain. I'd be on day 9 but our anniversary was Tuesday and we went out. :

How about you, Bean? Since you mentioned baked goods, I'm guessing that's what you meant as well...

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

#7 of 220 Old 06-25-2007, 01:52 PM

I'm on day nine without sugar and it sucks. I thought I'd notice some benefits by now. I can go into the pantry without staring longingly at the chocolate chips (not every time) but I don't feel better in any tangible way and am wondering why I'm bothering to torture myself.
#8 of 220 Old 06-25-2007, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
I'm on Day 5 myself. I went on a total binge after my birth 2 months ago, and now have to work on cleaning my system back out again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by purposefulmother View Post
How did I miss you all earlier?

I'm assuming this because otherwise I'll get reallly cranky.

How are you doing today? I'll post tomorrow and see how it goes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by friendtoall View Post
I'm on day nine without sugar and it sucks. I thought I'd notice some benefits by now. I can go into the pantry without staring longingly at the chocolate chips (not every time) but I don't feel better in any tangible way and am wondering why I'm bothering to torture myself.
Hi you guys! I am so glad you are here with me! ARG!

I am eating fruit. Yes, like you said, I meant refined sugar. But I am basically staying away from even health food that is sweet like granola, honey on my peanut butter toast, etc.

How am I today?

Well.........

I think I made it through the first few easy days and now it is getting hard. Which sux because I thought it would be the total opposite.

I feel today like I am in the middle of the ocean, in the process of crossing over to the other shore... but now I forgot what the hell I would want to torture myself for, anyway.

Okay, I know why I am doing this, but my inner crack-like addict (sugar addict) is sooooooooooooooo trying to talk me out of this!

Another thing I have noticed is that I was eating sugar out of boredom a LOT more than I realized.

Lastly, today I realized that my nose is not chronically runny like it had always been.

At least that's a good sign.

How are you all? Let me know --- I am here for support!

Hugs,
"Sugar-free" Bean
#9 of 220 Old 06-25-2007, 11:14 PM

Maybe my problem is that I gave up sugar on a whim, without setting some goals and reminding myself why I wanted to give up sugar. I've been thinking about doing it for months, but there's always something yummy in the house to eat, and since I don't want to make my kids into sugar addicts, I bravely eat it all myself So, when the pantry was pretty much out of temptation and I managed to go shopping and not buy more, I figured that would be a good time to go cold turkey. I see a lot of you are aiming for 28 days. Why? Should my cravings be gone after four weeks? What are your plans after the 28 days - are you hoping to no longer "need" sugar or that you'll be able to eat it in moderation? Right now I can't imagine giving it up for good.
#10 of 220 Old 06-25-2007, 11:16 PM

I gave up sugar except for fruit for 5 weeks a few years ago and it was easy if I kept my protein level up. The worst part I did not loose 1 lb.....my clothes were a bit looser not much..not 1 lb!!!!
#11 of 220 Old 06-25-2007, 11:29 PM

I'm here. Just plugging along.

friendtoall - it takes 3 weeks to form a habit. When I'm trying to modify a behavior, I usually aim for 3 weeks, because at that point I can usually stop obsessing about it so much.

I'm not sure why bean chose 28 days (I just figured I'd give her some support), but I'm aiming for the long haul. We're TTC and that means a strict diet for me, or the RE'll want me back on Metformin. No grain, no sugar, extremely limited "any other white stuff" (like potatoes). My goal obviously being pregnancy and a live healthy baby at the other end. So I'm on this diet (or some variation thereof) at least until the baby is born.

I'm also trying to restrict my sugars (honey, fruits, etc.) to before noon. The body processes them better earlier in the day than late at night. (I remember reading that somewhere years ago, and it definitely feels that way for me.) I made raspberry egg custards for my breakfasts this week. DH gets sausage and melon for breakfast, but with the weather heating up i prefer something cold (and I'll admit something a little sweet to satisfy those cravings). I used very little honey and just let the berries speak for themselves. It's a great sweet treat without being so much that it'll cause cravings.

#12 of 220 Old 06-25-2007, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendtoall View Post
Maybe my problem is that I gave up sugar on a whim, without setting some goals and reminding myself why I wanted to give up sugar. I've been thinking about doing it for months, but there's always something yummy in the house to eat, and since I don't want to make my kids into sugar addicts, I bravely eat it all myself So, when the pantry was pretty much out of temptation and I managed to go shopping and not buy more, I figured that would be a good time to go cold turkey. I see a lot of you are aiming for 28 days. Why? Should my cravings be gone after four weeks? What are your plans after the 28 days - are you hoping to no longer "need" sugar or that you'll be able to eat it in moderation? Right now I can't imagine giving it up for good.
I picked one week, then said 14 days...then thought 28 days-a full moon cycle free of sugar- seemed like a good thing to shoot for. No medical reasons beyond that.

28 days is the time period that will make me feel like I am in charge, not the sugar. KWIM? I, too, am aiming to make this a lifetime change.

I hope I will actually learn to eat ice cream (once in a blue moon) and truly enjoy eating it, rather than eating it and feeling half guilty half happy, and feeling like crap afterwards.

So, in the long run I want to make treats something I give myself, enjoy, and then move on from. Not being a slave to them anymore.
#13 of 220 Old 06-25-2007, 11:32 PM

Count my family in.
Dr told us no sugar meant, for my ds, NO sugar; ie. forget all fruits, honies, etc. She said 4 weeks to measure the effect.

Our handout says l-glutamine helps w/sugar cravings.
#14 of 220 Old 06-25-2007, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barjem View Post
I'm not sure why bean chose 28 days (I just figured I'd give her some support)
Thanks!

I feel like I am plugging along, too. But I am trying to be okay with that. It sounds like you have some really good reasons for doing this... I am excited for you.
#15 of 220 Old 06-25-2007, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMommy View Post
Count my family in.
Dr told us no sugar meant, for my ds, NO sugar; ie. forget all fruits, honies, etc. She said 4 weeks to measure the effect.

Our handout says l-glutamine helps w/sugar cravings.
Welcome! Thank you for the info on the supplements. That is fantastic to know.

That sounds tough for ds, but we are here for you! After 4 weeks will you know if ds can at least have fruit and honey?
#16 of 220 Old 06-26-2007, 12:38 AM

I just found this thread, not sure how I missed it before! Can I join you? Please, Please??? I know you all are a ways into this by now, tomorow will be day one for me.
I need to get sugar out in a bad way. I am addicted and it's aweful!
last year I got pregnat for #4 and had a fantastic diet, no whites, very little grains, and lots of fruit, veg, whole foods. I was no longer a slave to food. I gained only 15 lbs and lost it all within 1 week.
Well, all that good work right down the tube! I am now heavier than I was when I delivered
So, here's to starting over and being in control.
#17 of 220 Old 06-26-2007, 05:46 PM

I *believe* ds diet is forever; ie. anytime he cheats, it'll activate the yeast. So, I need to double check if we can ever eat fruit again. Or, bread. Or, honey.

So far so good today. I did make a pot of salty bean soup, though, accidentally and the salt is almost as good as sugar.

And : it's my Mom's b'day so we just made her a cake. One piece/person tonight and that's it.
#18 of 220 Old 06-27-2007, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by splunky View Post
I just found this thread, not sure how I missed it before! Can I join you? Please, Please??? I know you all are a ways into this by now, tomorow will be day one for me.
I need to get sugar out in a bad way. I am addicted and it's aweful!
last year I got pregnat for #4 and had a fantastic diet, no whites, very little grains, and lots of fruit, veg, whole foods. I was no longer a slave to food. I gained only 15 lbs and lost it all within 1 week.
Well, all that good work right down the tube! I am now heavier than I was when I delivered
So, here's to starting over and being in control.
Of course you can join us! I don't care what day each person is on...we just need each other for support!

Welcome!

Quote:
I *believe* ds diet is forever; ie. anytime he cheats, it'll activate the yeast. So, I need to double check if we can ever eat fruit again. Or, bread. Or, honey.

So far so good today. I did make a pot of salty bean soup, though, accidentally and the salt is almost as good as sugar.

And : it's my Mom's b'day so we just made her a cake. One piece/person tonight and that's it.
I read in a nutritional healing book that people need a little more salt while trying to wean off of sugar. Sort of a balancing act?
#19 of 220 Old 06-27-2007, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Today I found myself in the grocery store looking for "substitute foods" for my usual sugary snacks. Even went to the diabetic section.

Then I finally came to my senses and remembered it is the HABIT as well as the actual sugar I am trying to conquer. I was looking for foods I could snuggle down on the couch with, KWIM?

So.... I went to the produce section and bought a TON of fruit and veggies. Also focussed on buying locally when I could. Then I came home and made a fruit salad which was a sweet treat but didn't make me feel completely STONED afterwards.

Man what a viscious cycle the sugary chocolatey thing is for me! I crave it and can't move forward 'til I get some chocolate...then I eat it but only half enjoy it cuz of the guilt...then afterwards I feel tired and stoned...and more guilt. It is a wonder I do not weigh more than I do. Right now I am 165 lbs, 5'9'. But I have a little too much pudge going on (body fat right at the line before being considered overweight) and my pancreas and heart need a break!

Smiles,
Bean
#20 of 220 Old 06-27-2007, 11:11 PM

Bean - if you're looking for a snack, how about popcorn? It's not sweet, but toss it with some butter and maybe some cinnamon and maybe your sweet tooth will deal with that?

#21 of 220 Old 06-27-2007, 11:48 PM

We're off corn or that sounds tasty.

Yeah, our person said stevia just prolongs the habit and keeps the sweet tooth active. She said cinn. and nutmeg.

I learned that after the 4 weeks, we can intro an item at a time to learn his reaction. So, I'm thinking as an example, I can add in homemade granola that has honey in it. Now, to see what rice milk tastes like unless I find he can tolerate raw milk.

But, I am doing this to support ds and I am jonesing BIGTIME. I even cheated and had a coffee (well 2) and am sipping a glass of wine. Yes, she mentioned anecdotally that people who quit alcohol take sugar to compensate--interesting. AA gets you off booze by feeding the sugar craving with, well, sugar.

We need a smiley that has a strung out Momma tapping her fingers or bouncing her knee....ahhhhhh I'd really like to rip open the brown sugar jar and inhale it immediately..........ahhh time for a walk w/my glass of wine.

Ciao Ladies
Glad we're all here in the same boat.

God bless the pancreas. DEATH to the yeast!!!!:

eta oh and you know, I truly don't eat sweets all day long. It just goes to show how much sugar actually sneaks into our diets.
#22 of 220 Old 06-27-2007, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansavi View Post
I read in a nutritional healing book that people need a little more salt while trying to wean off of sugar. Sort of a balancing act?
That is really interesting. I notice I've been salting my veggies since we quit sugar and I get sooo much pleasure from it. :
#23 of 220 Old 06-28-2007, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Bean - if you're looking for a snack, how about popcorn? It's not sweet, but toss it with some butter and maybe some cinnamon and maybe your sweet tooth will deal with that?
...and I LOVE popcorn! Thanks for the idea.

Quote:

Yeah, our person said stevia just prolongs the habit and keeps the sweet tooth active. She said cinn. and nutmeg.

We need a smiley that has a strung out Momma tapping her fingers or bouncing her knee....ahhhhhh I'd really like to rip open the brown sugar jar and inhale it immediately..........ahhh time for a walk w/my glass of wine.
You're so funny... I think a smilie is a great idea!

That makes sense about the stevia. I think I would like some for iced tea, though... right now I am just trying to get to 28 days of ZIP! Oh...but tonight I took a bite of a granola bar... Not going to beat myself up about it, though.

DANG! This sugar demon sure is smart! It "told me" I was nursing and so needed a little more energy. Hmph.: I took a bite but then came to my senses and made some turkey bacon and had a glass of organic 1% milk.

bla bla bla... Milk has sugar, etc. but I feel like I need to concentrate on the refined stuff first, then hack away at the other stuff when I have more wits about me and am not chained like a slave to chocolate, refined sugar, etc.

Quote:
That is really interesting. I notice I've been salting my veggies since we quit sugar and I get sooo much pleasure from it. :
Oh yeah. I've been putting a lot of salt on my whole grain mac-n-cheese. It does feel like I need it or something! Sheesh.
#24 of 220 Old 06-28-2007, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansavi View Post
bla bla bla... Milk has sugar, etc. but I feel like I need to concentrate on the refined stuff first, then hack away at the other stuff when I have more wits about me and am not chained like a slave to chocolate, refined sugar, etc.
I wouldn't worry about the sugar in milk right now.

If you were that strict about sugars, you wouldn't be eating fruit, most veggies, or grains. You'd be on a protein only diet.

It's very unlikely you're going to start chugging the gallon of milk to get your sugar fix (I can just see you standing there with the fridge door open in the middle of the night getting your fix ).

#25 of 220 Old 06-28-2007, 12:19 PM

Yeah, I cheated. I used a little milk in my homemade granola that I hid in the office to eat. No refined sugar, just that from the milk and the honey in the granola.

I worry about ketosis since we've cut out bread. For b'fast, my kids had bacon & eggs & brown rice. I made a giant pot of beans and of rice to sub in for snacks & fiber.

I'm also going to get some spirulina tablets to help w/blood sugar lows.

I have noticed my kids devour their meals now. We had fresh fish, barley and salad for dinner. They asked for 2nds on everything.

oh, our diet is anything w/seeds is bad. So, not just fruit but squash, eggplants, etc.
#26 of 220 Old 06-28-2007, 02:43 PM

Quote:
I worry about ketosis since we've cut out bread. For b'fast, my kids had bacon & eggs & brown rice. I made a giant pot of beans and of rice to sub in for snacks & fiber.
Ketosis isn't much of a concern if you're eating grains, legumes and vegetables. Between them you should be getting plenty of carbs.

Quote:
I'm also going to get some spirulina tablets to help w/blood sugar lows.
Eating a combo of fat and protein (hard-cooked egg, cheese, meat, etc.) when you start feeling it will usually help with that. And never eat any grain alone, it should always have some fat or protein with it (pulses should have some fat with them as well). That helps keep your blood sugar from fluctuating so badly.

I can't do spirulina personally... I inadvertently bought vitamins that had it and wound up not sleeping for a week before we tracked down the problem.

Quote:
I have noticed my kids devour their meals now. We had fresh fish, barley and salad for dinner. They asked for 2nds on everything.
How long have you been doing this? After a few days the body usually goes through an adjustment period where you feel like you're constantly starving. After eating everything in sight for a few days it usually tapers off.

Quote:
oh, our diet is anything w/seeds is bad. So, not just fruit but squash, eggplants, etc.
So you're limited to leaves (lettuce), stems (asparagus), roots (carrots), flowers (broccoli), bulbs (garlic) and seeds (peas and beans) but eliminating botanical fruits such as cucumbers, squash, tomatoes, and capsicums? Wow. That must be tough.

Keep up the great work ladies!!

We had a great dinner of fried chicken and broccoli with honey mustard (homemade) last night. Fried chicken is DH's all-time favorite dish followed closely by mac & cheese, and since we can't have the latter I figured I'd treat him to the former.

#27 of 220 Old 06-28-2007, 04:03 PM

Wow, thank you for all the info!! We've always had a basically "healthy" diet but I have never realized how much I really did NOT know and understand. It's a huge learning process.

We started Monday so yep, I bet that's why the kids are starving! They just peeled and ate almost a full pound of shrimp for lunch.

I didn't know that about grains not being eaten alone. I wonder if butter would be enough to balance them; ie. brown rice w/butter?

And, I'll get just one bottle of spirulina tomorrow and see how it affects us. Interesting. I had no idea it could have any adverse affects.
*sigh* :

Fried chicken sounds good! Did you use any breading? We did this a couple of nights ago w/matzo crumb breading.

So, I was actually thinking about this thread while out running a bit ago and had to laugh that we each have our own weak spots, etc. Ice tea......I'd gladly sacrifice sugar/stevia in tea & coffee forever. But, oatmeal? My kingdom for a bit of stevia in my oats.:

ahhh sweet potato fries are smelling done!

CHeers Ladies
#28 of 220 Old 06-28-2007, 05:30 PM

Quote:
We started Monday so yep, I bet that's why the kids are starving! They just peeled and ate almost a full pound of shrimp for lunch.
That sounds about right. Let them gorge themselves on protein and it should pass in a few days. Their bodies are cleansing themselves of the sugars.

Quote:
I didn't know that about grains not being eaten alone. I wonder if butter would be enough to balance them; ie. brown rice w/butter?
It kinda depends on the amounts. A big bowl of rice with a little pat of butter, no. But a little rice with some butter, on the side of chicken would be fine. Or fried rice with some scrambled egg in it. Protein and/or fat slows the absorption of carbs so that you don't get a "sugar rush" as easily. It also helps prevent the quick return of hunger.

Quote:
And, I'll get just one bottle of spirulina tomorrow and see how it affects us. Interesting. I had no idea it could have any adverse affects.
*sigh* :
Well, everything can effect different people differently. I probably would have been fine if I took the vitamins in the morning, but taking them right before bed I'd wind up wired and not sleeping. It's a good idea to see how you do on it before spending a lot of money.

Quote:
Fried chicken sounds good! Did you use any breading? We did this a couple of nights ago w/matzo crumb breading.
Yes, I do bread them. But it's a bit unconventional because I'm grain-free. This is actually the only recipe I've *ever* used for fried chicken and DH swears it's the best fried chicken he's ever tasted... and who am I to argue. :

Quote:
So, I was actually thinking about this thread while out running a bit ago and had to laugh that we each have our own weak spots, etc. Ice tea......I'd gladly sacrifice sugar/stevia in tea & coffee forever. But, oatmeal? My kingdom for a bit of stevia in my oats.:
I know! I'd love to have an alternative to simple syrup so I could have my limeade. But maple and honey neither one taste good in it.

Quote:
ahhh sweet potato fries are smelling done!

#29 of 220 Old 06-28-2007, 08:28 PM

I just caught this thread and would love to join you guys. I often try to give up sugar -- I feel better, and know that I am far healthier without it. I am even familiar with the eat-everything-else-but-sugar for the first few days. But I always let it sneak back in. Blech! I am done! Well, we'll see . . . .
#30 of 220 Old 06-28-2007, 09:42 PM

Hi MommaBear...please come commiserate. I find being "accountable" actually really helps me. I think about this thread (really!) when I'm tempted to go sneak out to the store and buy a cheesecake to eat in the parking lot.

Quote:
Or fried rice with some scrambled egg in it. Protein and/or fat slows the absorption of carbs so that you don't get a "sugar rush" as easily. It also helps prevent the quick return of hunger.

OOoh that's what we'll do for b'fast tomorrow. Thanks! I've decided we need to limit rice to once/daily so we don't end up developing a rice sensitivity. But, rice mixed w/their eggs sounds awesome.
I wonder how many eggs a healthy, active kid can actually eat per week?

Going to try tabouleh tomorrow for a change of pace. And, we got matzo crackers to eat w/hummus for snacks.

It's just so fascinating how the body works. Yep, they've been gorging on protein the past couple of days. I'm pretty sure my ds got his yeast from dh (while I was pg) and neither one of them has a sweet tooth AT ALL. The body's self preservation, maybe? It's brutal, though, to cut out all sugars, though.

So, Cristeen--I'd love to hear your chx recipe if you have time!

aighhhh cheesecake sounds soooo lovely...with strawberries. Time for a walk instead.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page