alternative to xanthan gum for baking? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 07-03-2007, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't want to pay the $12 for a package since I won't use it often. Can I use anything instead to help the bread bind? I think I read that ground flax would work. Any ideas?
#2 of 16 Old 07-03-2007, 08:55 PM

What's your recipe? What are you making?

I've never used xantham gum for bread (or anything else), and I bake a lot, so there's probably something else you could use. If you post the recipe, we might be able to give you some ideas.
#3 of 16 Old 07-03-2007, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainyday View Post
What's your recipe? What are you making?

I've never used xantham gum for bread (or anything else), and I bake a lot, so there's probably something else you could use. If you post the recipe, we might be able to give you some ideas.
Cool. Here it is. It is off the back of the Bob's Red Mill GF All Purpose Baking Flour

Banana bread

1/3 c canola oil
2/3 c brown sugar packed
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups GF flour
1 tsp xantham gum
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 c mashed banana
1/2 c chopped pecans or walnuts
1/2 c raisins

I would also like to try the chocolate cake recipe on the back. It has similar ingredients but uses butter or similar. It also has 1 tsp xantham gum.

Thanks!
#4 of 16 Old 07-04-2007, 01:05 AM

The xantham gum is taking the place of the gluten in the recipe. You can use Guar gum, or any of the other gums really. I know that guar gum is usually half the price of xantham at my local stores. Just keep in mind that a little bit goes a long way, so while it may seem expensive, it should last ages.

You might also want to look at the ingredients in "egg replacers" at the HFS, some of them are mostly gum. It may be a cheaper way to get it.

You can try adding another egg instead, but no guarantee that'll work.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#5 of 16 Old 07-05-2007, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
The xantham gum is taking the place of the gluten in the recipe. You can use Guar gum, or any of the other gums really. I know that guar gum is usually half the price of xantham at my local stores. Just keep in mind that a little bit goes a long way, so while it may seem expensive, it should last ages.

You might also want to look at the ingredients in "egg replacers" at the HFS, some of them are mostly gum. It may be a cheaper way to get it.

You can try adding another egg instead, but no guarantee that'll work.
Thanks. I looked at the egg replacer at one store today and it didn't list any gum at all. I couldn't find guar gum. I am guessing it would be in the same place. I need to check the Frontier coop for the xantham gum and maybe get it there (and see if someone in my group will split it too). I see that it will last a really long time but I am not sure how much I will end up using. Just trying to be thrifty and see if I can go a cheaper route. I appreciate the advice!
#6 of 16 Old 07-06-2007, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
sometimes you can use buckwheat flour in place of the gum.

in the bob's red mill recipe for GF coconut flour buttermilk pancakes (look on their website), i replace the 2 Tbsp of xanthan gum with 2 Tbsp of buckwheat flour and they work though they are a little crumblier than i'd like - haven't quite figured out if it is the buckwheat flour or the simple fact that they are GF.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#7 of 16 Old 07-06-2007, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post
sometimes you can use buckwheat flour in place of the gum.

in the bob's red mill recipe for GF coconut flour buttermilk pancakes (look on their website), i replace the 2 Tbsp of xanthan gum with 2 Tbsp of buckwheat flour and they work though they are a little crumblier than i'd like - haven't quite figured out if it is the buckwheat flour or the simple fact that they are GF.
[/I]

I have buckwheat flour so I will try that now and then use the xanthan gum when I get some. I will compare the two.
BTW, that recipe sounds good. I will check it out.
#8 of 16 Old 07-06-2007, 11:32 PM

Pancakes are the only gluten free "baked" good that doesn't require gum (that I can think of). The buckwheat flour isn't going to do any binding for you. You'll get the same result as if you left it out. Xanthum gum works better than guar. A bag will probably last you a year. I bake a lot and it seems mine lasts a very very long time. It seems expensive but you really can't get good gluten free results without it.
#9 of 16 Old 07-07-2007, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by isabellegf View Post
Pancakes are the only gluten free "baked" good that doesn't require gum (that I can think of). The buckwheat flour isn't going to do any binding for you. You'll get the same result as if you left it out. Xanthum gum works better than guar. A bag will probably last you a year. I bake a lot and it seems mine lasts a very very long time. It seems expensive but you really can't get good gluten free results without it.
I guess that makes sense now that you say that. I can vary the ingredients a lot more in pancakes and still have relative sucess vs. quick breads, etc. Well I will just wait for my xanthan gum.
#10 of 16 Old 07-07-2007, 10:01 AM

If you're making GF bread, you really do need the xanthan gum. Guar gum is used more for cakes, but it would probably work okay in bread; I've never seen it at a grocery store, but I think you can get it from restaurant supply stores.

Homeschooling mom to four kids, ages 18, 18, 10, and 6. 

#11 of 16 Old 08-11-2013, 03:34 PM

Check out this website which has a list of substitutes for xantham gum. Using an eggwhite is my fave replacement.
http://gluten.lovetoknow.com/xanthan-gum-substitute

Happy baking!

#12 of 16 Old 08-11-2013, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I like chia seeds soaked in hot water or ground flaxseed.  Google "chia egg" or "flax egg."

#13 of 16 Old 11-06-2013, 10:21 AM

I found a 'SuperSeed Loaf" recipe through Yummly, and they've substituted flax seed meal and almond milk as the binders in the bread.  Haven't tried it yet, but I'm getting the ingredients today, and will keep you posted.

#14 of 16 Old 11-21-2013, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

If you can eat almonds, here's a nice banana bread recipe:

http://www.elanaspantry.com/paleo-banana-bread/

I used macadamia oil instead of shortening.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#15 of 16 Old 12-06-2013, 10:06 PM

I've found that banana breads baked as muffins with cupcake papers holds them together quite well without the xanthan. They're still delicate but you're avoiding having to slice it which is usually when a bread without xanthan falls apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#16 of 16 Old 12-13-2013, 06:53 AM

I think this is a great recipe. I wanna try this one out!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page